DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] SEPTEMBER 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

39 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I think the most surprising thing with her was that in Breaking Ground they portrayed her as someone who was teetering on the verge of being cut from developmental if she didn't step it up, and now that she's finally working regularly she's showing that she's actually got some potential.  No idea if that was some kind of elaborate long-game angle or what, but she's definitely overperforming.

I'm gonna guess that was an angle for BG because she had some indy experience going into NXT. She might not have been ready for tv, but there's no way she would've been a ZZ-level dunce either.

Yeah, they should be pushing Aliyah and Daria Berenato on television, not Liv fucking Morgan. 

They can build a nice little division around Moon, Berenato, Aliyah, and Kay once Asuka is sent up (hopefully to Smackdown). 

8 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, they should be pushing Aliyah and Daria Berenato on television, not Liv fucking Morgan. 

Yeah, I don't think that Jersey girl gimmick is ever going to be anything but targeted at a very niche audience. Doesn't help that both Liv Morgan and Carmella have very low in-ring charisma  along with the fact that it's a heel character which they are trying to play face.

Only way I can think of a Jersey girl gimmick working is if they were a stable/team, ala Mean Girls/BFFs.

I feel like the show could be next week, honestly. There already is so much filler.

Ever since Dallas I feel like the storytelling and character development has slowed WAY down, across the board. There are very few actual gimmicks on the show any more and it's bogged down with guys who should be on the main roster already.

Things just feel very predictable and safe and they only really advance one story at a time. 

The last couple months have been a chore to get through for me at times.

• Like 4

Yeah, totally agree. They could have easily had a few more bigger matches inbetween those Takeovers. To think there's almost two more months until Takeover: Toronto.

I hope things get a bit more interesting once Roderick Strong, Tommy End and Big Damo made their debuts.

WWE.com said it is going to be revealing teams for the Dusty Classic "daily" so just be wary if you don't want to know who the participants are before stuff airs on TV.

That is assuming they actually release names

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Takeover The End was in between Dallas and Toronto so there were big matches in between

You mean between Dallas and Brooklyn II?

The other Takeovers this year all had a two-month build-up between them. There was Dallas in April, The End in June and Brooklyn II in August.

Between Brooklyn II and Toronto it's three months. I meant you don't even need another Takeover between them. You could have had a big NXT title match on a regular episode of NXT on like the sixth episode after Brooklyn II and then moved on to something else. Three months build-up is just too long in my opinion.

Well in generally was Stevie Ray's original point was that he felt that hasn't been anything since Dallas and since there have been two Takeovers since then, I find that tough to believe.

The gap between Brooklyn II and Toronto is longer than it was last year in terms of the post-August show (Rivals was Oct last year). I think it is part of the issue with starting to pair shows with the "big" PPVs. I know at one point they were trying to do every 3 months but I guess it gets thrown off when they have to fill time between Mania and Summerslam

Ah, nevermind, I thought your post was a response to mine.

I don't quite agree with Stevie Ray there, but the past few weeks it definitely felt like they are dragging things along longer than necessary.

I personally think a Takeover every two months would be ideal. They could have one for all of the 4 big PPVs (Rumble, Mania, Summerslam and Survivor Series) plus two additional ones at Full Sail. I don't think that would be too much for anyone.

Kingston seems like a guy that could do anything they'd need him to (comedy, intensity) really anywhere on the card. Is he healthy enough though? I thought he was getting pretty run down.

And I just want to clarify that I get things have happened, but the pacing of everything in-between the Takeovers is so much slower now. So many rematches and no-brainers. Like, do we really need a months long build for Itami and Aries? That doesn't feel like a story that needs that long to tell. Same with Joe and Nakamura.

I think the best built angle over the last few months was No Way Jose and Aries, but they dropped that. Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like the focus and structure of the show has changed. I still love NXT, but it feels different. Great wrestling, great wrestlers, but the endearing way they were organized to tell compelling stories is different.

I also wish they'd bring Hero back and just let him be fat Chris Hero this time.