DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] SEPTEMBER 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Cody has to be able to use the Rhodes name. Hasn't he used it already post WWE?

He can't use it on TV - so that is why it was fine for say EVOLVE or BOLA

But now he is going to be on, supposedly, ROH and TNA so that is why it is an issue again

The issue with the use of Cody Rhodes is that he had never used it prior to the WWE.

CM Punk, for example, used it prior to the WWE and is why he could get away with it

Someone transcribed Meltzer's bit from the WON radio show a few weeks ago (I think it was after BOLA)

"To me it's like, they may have the legal right. But it feels so unfair to me that he's not going to be able to use the name Cody Rhodes on television, because they own the name. And I just feel like, they did not create Dusty Rhodes. Now, granted, Cody Rhodes only used that name in WWE. He never used it anywhere else. And usually, if you're going to have the rights to use your name, like CM Punk, going forward, you know, it's because you had prior usage before going there. And you know, he never worked for anyone but WWE. So he had no prior usage. But it's like, the frickin' Rhodes name goes back 50 years in this business. And he's a member of that family. And WWE did not create Dusty Rhodes. They did not come up with the name Dusty Rhodes. By the time he got there, Dusty Rhodes was one of the three biggest attractions in the country, before he got there in the first place. I guess they'll work things -- he's trying to work things out with them over that. I had seen stuff where he had tweeted that, I wasn't completely familiar if that was exactly the case. But that's exactly the case. If he's in ROH on television or TNA on television, he cannot be Cody Rhodes."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Technico Support said:

"We're don't want you making money anywhere else on the name you made here" is the most petty bullshit.  It's one thing to create a whole new character and want to protect that IP, like Razor Ramon and that's the only situation where this is defensible.  But changing just a guy's name when he joins the company just so he's not as recognizable when he goes back to his original name in a few years on the indies is head-shakingly scummy.

This is actually going to be the biggest thing that will hurt the Performance Center in the future- just from how NXT has risen, and how the Cruiserweight Classic and NXT have gotten enough big names of some acclaim to come in with their names/gimmicks, WWE probably just lost all the honors that the Performance Center could give an independent standout.

If you're a rising star on the indy scene now- why would you officially sign a full-time Performance Center deal, knowing that you'll have to use a new name when you get promoted to NXT (and likely not get it any time soon), when you know if you DON'T sign, you'll eventually get looked at for a tournament spot, potentially get fast-tracked to the main roster or the NXT rotation for it, not have to sign with the Performance Center, AND get to keep your indy name and gimmick? 

• Like 1

- Adrian Jaoude defeated Patrick Clark

- Mandy Rose defeated Aliyah with the Angel's Wings front slam.

- Tino Sabbatelli & Riddick Moss defeated Niko Bogojevic & Tucker Knight

Sabbatelli stole a win with a roll-up.

- Cedric Alexander defeated Beautiful Blonde Blake

Alexander hit the Lumbar Check for the victory.

- Dan Matha cut an in-ring promo

- Hideo Itami defeated Noah Potjes

Itami won it with the GTS.

- Daria Berenato defeated Peyton Royce

Berenato locked in the gogoplata for the submission.

- Sanity (Sawyer Fulton, Alexander Wolfe & Nikki Cross) defeated TM61 & Ember Moon

Fulton and Wolfe hit their double team finish for the win. After the match, Moon hit her top rope stunner on Cross so she and TM61 could stand tall and send everyone home happy.

Interesting that they have enough trust in Mandy Rose and Aliyah (or at least Aliyah now) to put them out their against each other in a singles match

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Huh, so they're finally doing something with Sawyer Fulton.

I'm also a bit surprised the NXT brass looks at Liv Morgan and to a lesser extent Mandy Rose and collectively thinks "Yes, this is who we should push" while Aliyah is on jobber duty.

Is Aliyah even 20 yet? 

I think the most surprising thing with her was that in Breaking Ground they portrayed her as someone who was teetering on the verge of being cut from developmental if she didn't step it up, and now that she's finally working regularly she's showing that she's actually got some potential.  No idea if that was some kind of elaborate long-game angle or what, but she's definitely overperforming.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I think the most surprising thing with her was that in Breaking Ground they portrayed her as someone who was teetering on the verge of being cut from developmental if she didn't step it up, and now that she's finally working regularly she's showing that she's actually got some potential.  No idea if that was some kind of elaborate long-game angle or what, but she's definitely overperforming.

I'm gonna guess that was an angle for BG because she had some indy experience going into NXT. She might not have been ready for tv, but there's no way she would've been a ZZ-level dunce either.