DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - SEPTEMBER

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, EdA said:

The only guesses I've seen have been the economy (Cleveland was hurt hard by the recession and really hasn't made it back as well as most places have), more interest in the Browns and now Cavs and...fans still are upset with the Indians for the selloffs after 01, 07 and then after 13.

But your guess is as good as mine as to why no one comes to the park.

In addition to the above, the Indians single-game ticket prices are somewhat more expensive than the league average, and considerably expensive if you'd like to sit in the lower infield areas. I can't speak as to secondary-market prices like StubHub, however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

AJ Preller has been the worst baseball executive in the league. He fills the void Kevin Towers left, and is likely worse than Kevin Towers. SOMEHOW he kept his job going into this year and the Padres ownership is so full of shit and brain dead that I wouldn't be surprised to see him return next year.

Man, Tony LaRussa and Dave Stewart are RIGHT FUCKING THERE in AZ and you ignore them?

Fie, I say!  Fie!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

In addition to the above, the Indians single-game ticket prices are somewhat more expensive than the league average, and considerably expensive if you'd like to sit in the lower infield areas. I can't speak as to secondary-market prices like StubHub, however.

Ahh, that I have NOT seen as an explanation.  But with the Cleveland economy still in the shitter, that would explain a lot.

It DOESN'T explain why the same fanbase would go to Browns games.  But...maybe masochism applies.

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

Padres GM AJ Preller is suspended for 30 days without pay; essentially, the Padres told their training staff to submit non-complete injury info about their players into the MLB database; 3 trades' worth of damaged goods later, and this is the result.

Out side of the money AJ Preller loses how does this hurt the Padres?

42 minutes ago, EdA said:

Ahh, that I have NOT seen as an explanation.  But with the Cleveland economy still in the shitter, that would explain a lot.

It DOESN'T explain why the same fanbase would go to Browns games.  But...maybe masochism applies.

Maybe it's a mass protest over changing the logo to something not racist, though they should change the name too.

Andrew McCutchen apparently told AJ Burnett that he was going to go yard twice tonight. He then went out and did it, and is at the plate now with two men aboard. I really enjoy Cutch, and I want all the good things to happen for him. 

EDIT - He didn't homer, but he flared a ball just over the second baseman to drive in a run.

Edited by grilledcheese

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Maybe it's a mass protest over changing the logo to something not racist, though they should change the name too.

I guess I haven't paid too much attention to their uniforms in recent years, but I was surprised to see Wahoo still on the shoulders of the jerseys. I was under the impression that they had just silently fazed it out.

Yankee fans on FAN calling for Girardi's head should be euthanized for the good of humanity. Seriously the guy deserves the AL MOTY award, the fact his team is in contention is a miracle (and I say that as someone who hates the Yankees with every fibre of my being).

• Like 2

Congrats Cubbie fans, particularly my friend Pete! If we don't win it all I hope you guys do.

The Cards-Giants series is quite interesting. I'm rooting for SF to beat up on the Cards to give us a shot to solidify our grip on a playoff spot. The Giants winning here can be negated by the schedule, which has them playing their LA blood rivals 6 times. I just want that one game with Thor on the mound and if it's away so be it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ryan said:

They lost, don't congratulate them until they beat the Brewers. Probably within 13 hours.

They backdoored their way to the crown with the Cards' loss tonight (I know using the term backdoored for a team that won it's division by 16 games is absurd, but it's purely for dramatic effect).

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Oh he's still on those, but they use the C in I think most promotional stuff.

Yeah, they have phased out that hideous thing, it's just not completely gone.

Of course, they still sell a ton of merch with that goddamn logo on it so....basically, they are a slightly less evil Washington Football Team.

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I guess Vin came out and said he was not going to do any potential Dodgers playoff broadcasts. :(

It's a bummer, but it's a really nifty story as to why his last day is his last day.

Snipped from an LA Times article:

He grew up in New York. As he walked home from school one afternoon, at age 8, he passed a laundry that displayed the score of that day’s World Series game: New York Yankees 18, New York Giants 4.

“As a little kid, my first thought was, ‘Oh, those poor Giants,’“ Scully said. “From that little kernel, I developed a desire and a love for baseball. Since the Giants were 20 city blocks from my school and I could get there thanks to the Catholic Youth Organization and the Police Athletic League, I could go to games free, Monday through Friday. So I became a very big Giants fan.“As things turn out, the last game of the season, and my last broadcast, will be against the Giants, in San Francisco, Oct. 2, 2016 — exactly 80 years to the day that I saw that Giant-Yankee scorecard.

“That is a fitting conclusion, I think, to my career.”

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Insert reference to the MASH episode that uses the Bobby Thomson home run. 

All MASH taught me was the Korean War last another decade and that 57 year old Klinger marrying an 18 year old Japanese girl playing a Korean woman was no big deal. Also pretending to be trans = hilarity because they put in stupid laugh tracks.

So insightful.

Jayson Stark ESPN Senior Writer 

Today was the 7th time the Cubs won a game they trailed entering the 9th. They've only lost one game they led after 8. Excellent formula