DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

I think Vince watches a good amount of family stuff.

Vince is apparently a huge AC/DC fan but since he blew out his quad I doubt he went to the concert at MSG (he went to one a few years ago at MSG with Cena and they were both like 2nd row or something). I would love to be around him gushing about how amazing this new guy Axl is.

I TELL YA, HE'S GOING PLACES.

DO WE HAVE ANYONE WHO WE COULD PATTERN AFTER HIM?

On 15/09/2016 at 5:47 AM, clintthecrippler said:

Had a morbid thought during the first matches of Cruiserweight Classic, and not sure what exactly triggered it, but has there ever been a one-night tournament in wrestling where the person that was booked to win the whole thing got legit injured during an opening round match and couldn't continue, so they had to change the booking on the fly? I want to say it maybe happened one time with a CZW Tournament of Death, but curious if that has ever happened elsewhere.

Wasn't exactly a one night tournament, but didn't Quack get KTFO on a dive at the TPI in 2007, then go on to win it?

14 minutes ago, Red is Dead said:

Wasn't exactly a one night tournament, but didn't Quack get KTFO on a dive at the TPI in 2007, then go on to win it?

Concussion.  He did a dive through the ropes and his feet caught. Slamming him into the concrete.  From what he said he was deciding which style of dive to do as he was leaving his feet.  His later match he did the over the top rope dive.

19 minutes ago, DTTW said:

No seriously. If someone feed Dave's Bryan's medical information isn't that a violation of laws?

Yeah, if he knows medical information that shouldn't be out there then that's a clear HIPAA violation.  Curious to see how much he knows, but him and the person giving the information out should be in trouble for sure.  But seeing his Twitter if you dare call him out for it he'd claim that you don't read or pay attention or some shit.  I respect him, but he gets carried away on there.

Odds are, proving anything against Dave's source will be tough.  Plenty of celebrities/athletes get confidential medical info discussed in the media.  It's unfortunate, but it happens.

What did Dave say anyway?  What part of Bryan's interview is he disputing?  Only controversial point I can recall is the bit about Bryan's doctors saying he is fine (which is obviously an exaggeration, if not a flat-out lie.  Bryan admits he's had at least ten documented concussions, seizures, and a host of other neuro issues.  Hard to believe any doctor in the country would think he's "fine").

That's a source of contention in the Jason Pierre Paul case against ESPN. ESPN says that it's not their fault that someone from Paul's hospital leaked medical records and they reported on it, it's the person's fault who leaked the medical records and they couldn't simply not report on it at that point.

According to the Randy Orton thing Dolfan posted somewhere, Meltzer talks to a concussion expert, who I'm sure has had his fingers in the pie of the Bryan deal at some point. The Orton thing is beyond puzzling to me, why you'd bother to even have the guy do run-ins/limited action at all. Too much to lose and not enough to gain. Clear him at 100 percent, not say "well, you should be OK if you just do this."

Meltzer isn't in trouble for reporting it, he just happens to have the information and there's that gray area the Media has with celebrity and how much the people have a right to know everything about a celebrity's life. 

The source would be who is violating HIPPA laws, as he/she/they would've had the records and identifiers and leaked confidential info.  Once the info is in the wild, it's pretty much fair game.  The bad thing is the person obtaining the info and giving it out.  Once someone comes by the info second hand, it's wide open, unless the JPP case decides otherwise.  There's not really a preceident set yet.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm confused. Did Daniel Bryan give another interview recently and then did Dave say something about the info disclosed in that interview?

He did an AP interview ahead of the Philly Smackdown basically saying that all of the concussion experts he talked to said he was fine. He also said he understood WWE's stance, but he sounded a little miffed that they tease stuff with him like doing polls on the website about who he should face if he came back. 

Oh, ok. I did see that. I mean, this is probably the most difficult period of his life. He sounds like he desperately wants to wrestle again, but he's also a total hazard to himself. To me it reads like he reconciled with his career being over with getting the one test result after all of the others, but now he's second guessing that and wanting the reality of his situation to be different. For Daniel Bryan, I wouldn't doubt that this sticks with him for the rest of his life. It'll get better over time, but he'll still have those "what if" periods.

My honest prediction is that Bryan will wrestle again in NJPW in two years and all conversation about it here will be a 50/50 split about how great the matches are or how stupid the bumps are. Just the hottest concussion takes of all time flowing from every pore.

I'll make it even worse: imagine the pure insanity that would surround a CM Punk vs. Bryan Danielson match headlining an ROH card in 2018 when his WWE deal is up. 

1 hour ago, jstout said:

That's a source of contention in the Jason Pierre Paul case against ESPN. ESPN says that it's not their fault that someone from Paul's hospital leaked medical records and they reported on it, it's the person's fault who leaked the medical records and they couldn't simply not report on it at that point.

According to the Randy Orton thing Dolfan posted somewhere, Meltzer talks to a concussion expert, who I'm sure has had his fingers in the pie of the Bryan deal at some point. The Orton thing is beyond puzzling to me, why you'd bother to even have the guy do run-ins/limited action at all. Too much to lose and not enough to gain. Clear him at 100 percent, not say "well, you should be OK if you just do this."

Suppose ESPN paid for that information?  Like the college kids.  You pay a cousin and cycle the money back to the kid.  In this case the cousin gets paid and the money cycles back to the nurse or intern who stole the information?

Let's be honest, nobody leaks information for free.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Oh, ok. I did see that. I mean, this is probably the most difficult period of his life. He sounds like he desperately wants to wrestle again, but he's also a total hazard to himself. To me it reads like he reconciled with his career being over with getting the one test result after all of the others, but now he's second guessing that and wanting the reality of his situation to be different. For Daniel Bryan, I wouldn't doubt that this sticks with him for the rest of his life. It'll get better over time, but he'll still have those "what if" periods.

I question why they made him the SD GM to be honest.  He needs to step away from this for a longer time so he can privately sort out all these feeling and emotions.  Instead he's out there weekly and they're touching on his feelings.  That's not healthy and I worry it'll make him go off the deep end somehow before he finds that acceptance.  It's getting to the point I'm feeling sad seeing him out there.  The only time it appeared he looked very happy was announcing for CWC, if that was all he did then great.  Plus, with him as GM they unfroze his contract so when it runs out unless he re-signs I can see him going elsewhere.  That would to me be extremely sad as even if he got the all clear with his history he shouldn't be wrestling ever again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Let's be honest, nobody leaks information for free.

People in the business like being informants for the WO though. It makes them feel like hot shit. I'd be surprised if whoever spilled the beans got paid anything. 

2 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Only controversial point I can recall is the bit about Bryan's doctors saying he is fine (which is obviously an exaggeration, if not a flat-out lie.  Bryan admits he's had at least ten documented concussions, seizures, and a host of other neuro issues.  Hard to believe any doctor in the country would think he's "fine").

That's what Dave was disputing and while I respect Dave, I'm suspect how he thinks he knows about Bryan's medical records to dispute them. Now Bryan could be telling a lie but it wouldn't make much sense.

Y'all really need to read Lesnar's book. He talks about how the WWE turns guys into such marks for the business and the company that it ruins their lives. That's really apparent with Bryan and it's kinda sad.

I think with Bryan, he was a mark for the business out of the womb. I fully believe that if he wasn't married and could get out of his contract, he'd be having crazy blood brawls with Black Terry in front of 300 people at Arena Naucalpan or something right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think with Bryan, he was a mark for the business out of the womb. I fully believe that if he wasn't married and could get out of his contract, he'd be having crazy blood brawls with Black Terry in front of 300 people at Arena Naucalpan or something right now. 

And all conversation about it here would be a 50/50 split about how great the matches are or how stupid the bumps are. Just the hottest concussion takes of all time flowing from every pore.

• Like 3