DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1) Nobody active will ever go after Vince in court because wrestlers are all marks who, no matter what, always think they have one more WWE run in them.

2) Nobody past active age will go after Vince because wrestlers never really retire and you never know when WWE might need you.

If the Punk lawsuit goes through, maybe he should go scorched earth and just go after WWE on the independent contractor thing.  But, see point one.  Lawsuit or not, another Punk WWE run is not outside the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Okay, a couple things

1. Did WWE hire Black Terry Jr. to work as cameraman for them in Britain?

2. That rolling Finlay slam off the top... I know they let Kendrick use a Burning Hammer, but damn. 

Also that looks like we really need the full footage of because it's awesome.

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

1) Nobody active will ever go after Vince in court because wrestlers are all marks who, no matter what, always think they have one more WWE run in them.

2) Nobody past active age will go after Vince because wrestlers never really retire and you never know when WWE might need you.

If the Punk lawsuit goes through, maybe he should go scorched earth and just go after WWE on the independent contractor thing.  But, see point one.  Lawsuit or not, another Punk WWE run is not outside the realm of possibility.

Raven was still active during his 2008 lawsuit, and there are a few active wrestlers on the current concussion/independent contractor lawsuit. 

And they aren't fans of his either. I don't care if Punk returns to the WWE or not in all actuality he's done all that he could do in the WWE. I would like years down the road for Punk to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, I don't want to see his contributions ignored and forgotten but with H and Steph at the helm I think thats what's gonna happen.

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Absolutely.  The independent contractor thing wouldn't hold up in court at all.  Vince has been lucky that no one who falls within the statute of limitations has raised a stink, but they've got to be at least a little concerned that Paige might get pissed off enough to go after them.  Especially since she's got a boyfriend with deeper pockets, who may also have a grudge against the company.

It's not even about independent contractor as much as- even without the independent contractor thing...From other claims made, apparently the issue she's getting a lawyer for was beyond just "the suspension" and more that she believes that the suspension (in August) affected what she was paid from her Wrestlemania payoff (for work done back in April)- which is kind of the type of thing you should be suing about (whether you're an independent contractor or an employee- if you're told you'll be paid 'X' for some work and later, you get less money due to a completely unrelated thing- then you'd sue for that.)

Even if the "Paige had WWE threaten to fire her over her relationship" thing had any merit to it, then there'd still be a unique difference now. Many performers or WWE workers probably had the "no inter-office relationships" as a part of their job description, or even had WWE try to get people to quit dating in the past...but then, most of those performers WEREN'T also part of the cast of a E! reality show that basically had the whole plot of the show focus on exactly who they're dating and what they're getting up to in those relationships- which did put Paige's relationships as a major part of her job description with WWE solely for the "Total Divas" footage. 

48 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Punk will be back. The beauty of going away for awhile is you become a special attraction and only have to show up for the paydays. And money talks. Bret came back. Warrior came back. Is Punks situation somehow worse?

Care to wager on it? WWE wants/needs him. He doesn't need or want them. Punk, unlike a lot of wrestlers, seems to have not pissed away the money he made so he's probably able to stick to his convictions for as long as he wants with all the other cheese he's making.

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

Care to wager on it? WWE wants/needs him. He doesn't need or want them. Punk, unlike a lot of wrestlers, seems to have not pissed away the money he made so he's probably able to stick to his convictions for as long as he wants with all the other cheese he's making.

He'll be rolling in money from all those UFC wins he's going to rack up.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Punk hasn't ruled out working for New Japan in the future once his contract with UFC is up.

THAT would be far more likely. 

Punk may have the money behind him- but even if he lost everything and had to come back to wrestling, he'd far more likely to go to a rival company just to spite WWE than he ever would to come crawling back to the WWE. 

Heck, it's likely the only reason he didn't do that when he left in the first place and went to UFC instead was that he hates TNA as much as he does WWE.

10 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

He'll be rolling in money from all those UFC wins he's going to rack up.

I know you are being sarcastic but UFC has probably been paying him decent enough without a fight even under his belt. He hasn't complained about it so far so it can't be too bad.

Someone mentioned Punk's legacy and as an admitted mark for the guy....what legacy in the WWE? He had moments but he's nothing to them in the grand scheme of things. 

I'm looking forward to his fight Saturday i'm interested in how he will do. I'm not disillusioned into thinking he will be the next GSP or Silva but I do hope he wins his first fight and ends up with a winning record when its all said and done.

• Like 2