DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I can't find the original source at the moment but apparently Paige has lawyered up to fight her suspension.

Now - if the stuff about being told flat out to breakup with Del Rio is true, then it is easy to see why she is doing so.

So I'm watching Aron Rex (Damien Sandow) on his second appearance on Impact, and he comes out to say he's the special ref for ECW vs Drew. And he stands in between them... and he's taller than McIntyre and has broader shoulders than Carter. He's physically a gigantic, massive man. Why did he never look big on WWE TV?

21 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Lots of other big guys, bigger ring, bigger buildings

... and just maybe the lack of a Wellness Policy?  It takes some doing to be bigger than ECIII considering he's about two hypodermic needles away from having his internal organs explode out of his body on (not quite) live tv.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

... and just maybe the lack of a Wellness Policy?  It takes some doing to be bigger than ECIII considering he's about two hypodermic needles away from having his internal organs explode out of his body on (not quite) live tv.

I actually typed "wellness" then erased it. I haven't seen him on TNA TV yet, so I didn't want to say it completely baselessly that's all. 

I think Rex looked bigger in that context because everyone was wearing street clothes, and he's a big-framed guy. In ring gear, though, appearance is more a function of muscularity, and how it relates to your frame and body-fat percentage. He looks smaller while wrestling because his musculature isn't very impressive, relative to those factors. A friend of mine used to joke that he had the appearance of gyno without the benefits of steroids. EC3 is near the other end of the spectrum, with someone like Neville being close to the terminus. 

Of course, things like that only matter so much, these days. 

On 9/1/2016 at 11:30 PM, nate said:

Jesus, could you imagine??  All that Jheri curl juice flying all over the place.  The audience would get messier than a Gallagher set.

Dammit. Now I got a picture in my head with Roman flinging jheri curl juice all over the house with the wife screaming, "This is why we don't have any clean pillows Roman!" There's a sitcom in there somewhere.

I'm really considering going to this nwa superbrawl legacy on Oct. 1st. The Steiners are gonna be there and it might fun. Ticket prices are throwing me off though. Would any of you go if you had the chance?

9 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

What's Roode's finish these days? Every time I look at him/his character I think he should be using a Perfect Plex or at least a variation on it like a Fisherman Buster

He did use the Perfectplex (The Payoff) as one of his main finishes throughout most of his TNA run from about 07-11 then it was that and the Crossface before he started using the Roode Bomb (death valley driver) more in 2013-2015. He debuted the Glorious Bomb (pumphandle slam) at NXT Takeover last month but I think that changes in the coming weeks. I do think the original Payoff was for sure his best finish.

• Like 1

Like everyone said in one of the NXT threads, he should be using the Roode Awakening. First off, because I still fully believe that it's a death move just like I did in 1992. Second, because neckbreakers are awesome. Third, because Rick Rude is awesome. 

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Is "solid color polo shirt and jeans" like the TNA main eventer uniform or something? I can't take Aron Rex seriously when he dresses like a Best Buy employee.

I feel like this was intentionally a straight line intended to induce the "TNA wrestlers wrestle in the uniforms of their day jobs" joke.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, AxB said:

So I'm watching Aron Rex (Damien Sandow) on his second appearance on Impact, and he comes out to say he's the special ref for ECW vs Drew. And he stands in between them... and he's taller than McIntyre and has broader shoulders than Carter. He's physically a gigantic, massive man. Why did he never look big on WWE TV?

I actually randomly met and hung out with him over the weekend in Louisville and was legit shocked at how big he is in person.

On 9/7/2016 at 9:51 AM, RIPPA said:

I can't find the original source at the moment but apparently Paige has lawyered up to fight her suspension.

Now - if the stuff about being told flat out to breakup with Del Rio is true, then it is easy to see why she is doing so.

This sounds ridiculous to me.  I haven't read an actual WWE contract, but given the way the company releases people, I'm assuming employment is "at-will", which is to say the employer can release you at any time for virtually any reason that doesn't violate some federal or state law, or even for no good reason whatsoever.  .  Most independent contractors operate under these terms.  WWE basically releases wrestlers not for cause, but because they aren't useful anymore.  So far as I know, the company isn't bound by the length of time or terms remaining on the wrestler's contract and the wrestler doesn't have the right to appeal to an arbiter.   Nor does the company have to show cause for the release (failure to perform job duties).  Basically, if Vince doesn't like you or decides you aren't going to draw money for him, he can fire you.  Sounds an awful lot like "at will" to me.

Even if someone in the company did threaten to fire Paige unless she stopped dating Del Rio, and they can prove that in court, so what?  Companies generally have the right to enforce policies that affect your life outside of work.  Plenty of companies have formal policies forbidding inter-office relationships.  Plenty of companies also have unwritten rules that affect your life outside of work (i.e., you can date inside the office, but you won't get promoted if you do.  "Mandatory" voluntary sessions are another example.  I once worked for a CPA firm that didn't force you to work overtime, but you probably wouldn't be promoted very high if you didn't).  WWE releases people because they are "fat", because they became a distraction on the road (Serena Deeb, Mickey James), because they don't have the right body type, can't cut a promo, aren't over, won't do cocaine and red bull with Vince, etc.  

The criteria for which the company can and does release wrestlers is subjective and fuzzily defined,  Paige wouldn't be the first wrestler released because of an alleged relationship, and I doubt there's anything in a WWE contract that prevents the company from releasing you over a personal relationship (again, WWE contracts don't seem to offer any protection against firings, aside from paying the wrestler during the length of the non-compete clause).  I've always assumed some people have been released over the years simply because Vince or whoever didn't like them personally.

I kinda doubt Paige has much of a case.  That said, WWE would do well to settle this before it goes to court.  For one thing, if I was Vince's lawyer, I'd be reluctant to let anything go to court that could cause a judge to take a closer look at WWE's sham definition of indepedent contractors.  For another, if Paige did somehow prevail in court, it would set a precedent and open the door for future lawsuits.  I'd be more worried about the Mickey James and Chris Heros of the world lining up to file suit alleging they were fired on flimsy pretexts.

4 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

That said, WWE would do well to settle this before it goes to court.  For one thing, if I was Vince's lawyer, I'd be reluctant to let anything go to court that could cause a judge to take a closer look at WWE's sham definition of indepedent contractors.  For another, if Paige did somehow prevail in court, it would set a precedent and open the door for future lawsuits.  I'd be more worried about the Mickey James and Chris Heros of the world lining up to file suit alleging they were fired on flimsy pretexts.

Absolutely.  The independent contractor thing wouldn't hold up in court at all.  Vince has been lucky that no one who falls within the statute of limitations has raised a stink, but they've got to be at least a little concerned that Paige might get pissed off enough to go after them.  Especially since she's got a boyfriend with deeper pockets, who may also have a grudge against the company.