DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just a reminder - last night was the random Brock/Orton house show rematch for no good reason

This led to Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman) against Randy Orton before the intermission. And, the match was turned into a No DQ match.

(6) Brock Lesnar (w/Heyman) beat Randy Orton in a No DQ match. Orton ran through the crowd to hit an RKO and multiple chair shots to start the match, but Lesnar came back with Suplex City and an F5 for the win. Overall, the crowd was hot for the PPV-level match at a house show, but it was a quick match.

On 9/22/2016 at 8:03 AM, AxB said:

See how in the Olympics, those Mongolian Wrestling coaches were protesting a judge's call late in the match, and they stripped their clothes off as a protest? How did no Pro-Wrestling promotion steal that spot? I mean, obviously it makes the most sense for Flair to do it, but he's not managing Charlotte any more, but surely Vince would think it was a hilarious 'Bob Backlund has gone crazy' deal?

I mean, ideally TNA would steal it and have Mike Bennett be the one to lose via screwjob, but we'll take what we can get.

Closest thing would be the "Milkman" bit from Smackdown a few weeks ago.

I'm quite surprised that there wasn't more attention paid around here to the part in Dutch's recent interview where he said that WWE originally wanted Bunkhouse Buck to play the part of Swagger's mentor when he went all Tea Party, but when Buck couldn't do it, they changed the character slightly and gave Dutch the job.

At this point I don't think the audience has gotten the message that Lesnar is a strong, formidable wrestler. The problem is every single main event face has now been squashed by him w no comeuppance. So what to do now? My suggestion would be a handicap match with Cena, Taker, Orton, Ambrose and Reigns vs Lesnar.  That way everyone can take an F5 in the same match and no one has to wait around for Lesnar to have more dates.

Well, now is the point that you would give someone a megapush by having him beat Lesnar cleanly, like Ember Moon is probably going to do to Asuka in NXT.

The issue is that the company doesn't want anyone to get a push that might make them realize their value and become difficult to negotiate with in the future, so it won't happen. They might as well have let 'Taker win the rubber match against Lesnar or let Cena come back and beat Lesnar for that matter, since those are like the only two guys they have left on the roster who they seem to trust. 

11 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

The nWo comes to mind. In fact, is there an organically cool thing that didn't overstay it's welcome in wrestling?

The big problem there is that you'd have to define how it was organically cool but didn't overstay its welcome beforehand- simply because all of wrestling booking are so dedicated on the "sure thing" that they'll let it overstay its welcome unless something else, that's equally a "down ending" for the fans- causes it to happen- either through injury (think: The Yes Movement as the most obvious example there), suspension (think: The R-Truth heel run in 2011 ending about the time it should have happened...well, because R-Truth took a wellness violation, but still about that time), the performer leaving the company naturally (rarely happened, but Loose Cannon Brian Pillman in WCW/ECW would "kind of" count there), etc.

Wrestling's just built on the ethos "Everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end."

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

The nWo comes to mind. In fact, is there an organically cool thing that didn't overstay it's welcome in wrestling?

Yeah, I guess I meant that it also became stale very quickly. It's crazy how Brock went from one of the best in the world to having nothing but shitty matches after Suplex City took off.

At this point they should just do the Undertaker Royal Rumble '94 thing with Brock. Have everyone gang up on Brock, shove him in a casket, Brock's ghost cuts a promo about being the blood of all mankind, and then he flies off into space. It's perfect booking and I see no reasonable downside.

• Like 4