DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 19/09/2016 at 3:11 PM, Matt D said:

There was a lot of discussion back during Punk vs Brock how unbelievable it was that Punk could possibly be any threat to Brock. Most of that talk was before the match, not after. Wrestling is about illusion. It's about suspension of disbelief and one way to do that is to establish meaning and relevance within a shared universe over time. The Cobra can be a completely believable finisher if it's built that way. If Santino didn't execute it with complete conviction and if it wasn't sold by his opponents with the same, that wouldn't have mattered. Look does matter, as it makes the challenge easier, but you can establish someone like Sabre, Jr. as a dangerous world beater. It comes down to presentation and execution over time. In the context of the CWC, he's missing that time component. 

On 19/09/2016 at 9:13 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

It was a spectacle but it doesn't hold up for me on second viewing. Brock is just selling and selling this weak offense and Heyman has to get involved and Punk is being dumb and allowing Heyman to distract him for several minutes. It's a pretty overrated deal,  Cena/Bryan from the same show smokes it.

I watched SummerSlam 2013 live in the early hours of the morning UK time. Watching John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk as it happened and on repeat viewings, John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan is the best match. Never changed that opinion.

On 19/09/2016 at 3:42 PM, Matt D said:

It should have been Roman last year. That was the entire point of pushing Brock in the first place. The fans were turning around in that match because it was so good and the performances were so good. 

We're in agreement. Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins at WrestleMania XXXI was a great match, my 2015 Match of the Year. I know Seth Rollins cashing the Money in the Bank contract divides opinion.

On 19/09/2016 at 4:01 PM, Ace said:

Have we reached the point of diminishing returns with Brock yet?

Yes. Hasn't had a good match since The Undertaker in the Hell in a Cell at Hell in a Cell 2015.

On 20/09/2016 at 2:26 AM, Matt D said:

He was probably the biggest draw at Mania this year, frighteningly enough.

Scary that. Yes WWE had injuries but for a WrestleMania and the size of the stadium, WrestleMania XXXII was such a disappointing show.

On 21/09/2016 at 0:14 AM, Vader does my taxes! said:

So the RAW rating was basically identical to last week's (awful):

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/raw-ratings-bring-bad-news-second-week-row-221251

Meltzer is speculating next week's rating could be the lowest in the history of the show (it's up against the NFL AND a presidential debate).

So does Vince decide this is Kevin Owens' fault and take the belt off him at the Clash or does he realize ratings are staying in the dumpster at least until January and let Owens keep the belt and take all the blame?  I don't see another Rollins or Roman title run turning the ratings around.

I agree with Burgundy. I can't see another WWE Universal Championship title change so soon after the belt was created.

On 21/09/2016 at 1:56 AM, Web Conn said:

Not that anyone on this board would necessarily care but I just got tickets to my first WWE Live Event* next Saturday in Las Vegas and the Thomas and Mack Center. I'm pretty excited I've always have wanted to go to a house show but it never came to be until now. It's the SmackDown tour so it's gonna be cool to see AJ Styles live for the third time plus Heath Slater and Rhyno. for those who have been to Live Events how are they generally?

*I went to NXT in Portland in May but that wasn't the main roster.

Nice one. I attended my first wrestling event period last April and it was a WWE Live Event. I've now attended three and my fourth will be this November. We're getting the RAW side.

On 21/09/2016 at 2:25 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

Expect less promos, longer matches, and a few silly shell-game type games on the video screen for the kids.  It's fun.

On 21/09/2016 at 3:21 AM, Peck said:

Lots more fan interaction too. Probably see a lot of selfies with folks seated along the barricades, etc.

I second these. Expect an interval as well.

Yup, they usually have intermission at house shows, usually with the second-to-top match right before.  Depending on double bookings, sometimes the listed main event goes on before intermission instead.  The first house show I went to in '92 had Flair v. Savage for the World title before intermission, and Undertaker v. Berserker as the actual "main event".

• Like 1

Hogan would have his matches before intermission on a lot of the house shows I went to.  They did fucking HOGAN VS FLAIR before intermission in LA, for example.

Yeah, I saw one of the like uh...four or five total Hogan vs Flair WWF matches and it was DOPE AS FUCK

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Were there curfews for most of the arenas or was that an MSG thing? 

In the days when WWF would run house shows in the same towns every month or so, they'd run the main event before intermission so they could announce the main event for the next show at intermission and start selling tickets right away.

For example, maybe Hogan vs One Man Gang would be the main event and the match would be the last before intermission.  They'd fight to a double countout or maybe Gang would be DQ'd.  Then they'd announce a rematch INSIDE A 15 FOOT HIGH STEEL CAGE next month with tickets, conveniently, on sale now at the arena box office.  

As a poor youngster, I always marveled at the ballin'-ass motherfuckers who would go buy front row seats right then and there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NickMD said:

It appears they're happy so that's good.  But the image of ADR with Paige and her family for some reason is making me laugh.

Is it because out of the whole group, ADR is the one who looks the most like a sociopath?  Because that's what's doing it for me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I would love to see ADR and Paige on Kitchen Nightmares once his restaurant starts to go downhill.  They might be better than that lunatic couple in Arizona.

Paige: THIS IS MY HOUSE! Seriously Gordon, we had to sell our house and now we're living in the restaurant. Please help us turn things around.

• Like 6

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Surely those Hogan/Flair matches were taped are are sitting in the vaults, right?

The 2 MSG Hogan/Flair matches are on DVD.  They also had three dark matches on TV tapings (one of which being their first match ever) and the second match they ever had (Oakland) exists on a fancam.  So yeah, at least six Hogan/Flair matches were taped in some capacity. 

Did anyone film the match they had on the (not) TNA show in Melbourne about 7 years back?

Hogan didnt take a single bump and then won by hitting Flair with a chain wrapped around his fist.

Awful, awful stuff but hey... get to tell the grandkids I saw them live I guess.

EDIT - From the wiki of that tour - 

The main event of each show was a rematch between Hogan and Ric Flair—the wrestler who defeated Hogan more times than any other. Hogan defeated Flair in all four matches, bringing his career record against Flair from 2–8 to 6–8.

Hogan you bitter fuck...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Did anyone film the match they had on the (not) TNA show in Melbourne about 7 years back?

Hogan didnt take a single bump and then won by hitting Flair with a chain wrapped around his fist.

Awful, awful stuff but hey... get to tell the grandkids I saw them live I guess.

The main event of each show was a rematch between Hogan and Ric Flair—the wrestler who defeated Hogan more times than any other. Hogan defeated Flair in all four matches, bringing his career record against Flair from 2–8 to 6–8.

Hogan you bitter fuck...

That Wiki has to be wrong.  While Hogan had those 2 WCW wins, he also had all those count-out wins against Flair at MSG shows.

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Hogan you bitter fuck...

found this one YouTube. Despite what it says its clipped.

This is in two parts but I believe it is a full match

• Like 1