DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Alicia would be better off on Smackdown. So would Paige for that matter. Thus far it's been the better-booked show, and has really gone out of the way to give every woman some shine. Meanwhile the feeling I get from Raw is, "we have three of the Four Horsewomen and The Rock's monster cousin, it'll write itself."

• Like 2

Alicia is certainly capable, and I think the division is small enough that she'll have to be rotated into a title feud at some point to keep things fresh, but she'll probably be JTTS level most of the time. The division is just too stacked and pretty much everyone else has more long-term value. If Paige and Emma both end up on Raw, that division is gonna be ridiculous. Emma should really go to SD for "competitive balance" purposes, but the prospect of her standing up to Charlotte for Dana makes too much sense to pass up.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I don't know how others view Alicia Fox, but I'm a fan of hers and loved to see her elevated to a contender. 

I dig Alicia too. But I don't think creative has anything major planned for her. Plus, from all I've heard, she's just happy to have the opportunity and doesn't really push for much backstage. 

I'm happy that Paige is coming back but also wish it was on Smackdown. It's the far better showcase for the women. 

56 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Things WWE could do with Paige upon her return:

1. put her in a program with Charlotte, based on the motivation that they have "unfinished business" regarding the PCB break-up
  2. put her in a program with Sasha, based on the motivation that the WrestleMania match should have been a PCB three-way, and that Sasha "stole her spot"
  3. put her in a program with Bayley, based on the motivation that she's sick and tired of all the Horsewomen showing up on the main roster to steal her thunder
  4. have Nia squash her, then relegate her to the distaff JTTS section with Alicia Fox

I have a pretty good idea of which one I'd bet on...

5. Evil Hooters waitress gimmick, complete with wing sauce "poison mist"

6. Feud with Asuka after Asuka mistakes her for a J-Horror ghost

• Like 14

WWE seems to have this interesting separation between the "Divas" and the "women".  There's little crossover and the disparity in ring styles really comes through when you do mix them, like in the multi-woman matches at Backlash and SmackDown this week.  Oddly, Paige is kinda still in the Divas subset - she came in right as things were changing and never really updated her style to cope with the newcomers.  She was like the person that was better than everyone, but never got better and those under her passed her by.

Alicia seems stuck even further in that mindset - honestly, I've never really seen anything really special out of her and I'm kinda surprised she's still on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

WWE seems to have this interesting separation between the "Divas" and the "women".  There's little crossover and the disparity in ring styles really comes through when you do mix them, like in the multi-woman matches at Backlash and SmackDown this week.  Oddly, Paige is kinda still in the Divas subset - she came in right as things were changing and never really updated her style to cope with the newcomers.  She was like the person that was better than everyone, but never got better and those under her passed her by.

Alicia seems stuck even further in that mindset - honestly, I've never really seen anything really special out of her and I'm kinda surprised she's still on the roster.

I honestly don't see that big of a difference in skill sets. If anything, I think the Divas (Nikki, Naomi, Fox, etc) have really stepped it up. Or it could be that the "Revolution/Evolution" has allowed more eyes on what previously used to be ignored. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I honestly don't see that big of a difference in skill sets. If anything, I think the Divas (Nikki, Naomi, Fox, etc) have really stepped it up. Or it could be that the "Revolution/Evolution" has allowed more eyes on what previously used to be ignored. 

Some of the girls in the Diva era have stepped up for sure, but some haven't - and sadly, I see Alicia in the latter group.  I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt a feud with Nia Jax will be where she can do that.

40 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

They could put Paige and Emma together as a heel odd couple.

They could have them fight each other a bunch, since that's what got them over in the first place, wouldn't need a title, and would eventually be a way to elevate a non horsewoman.

43 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Paige's problem is she came in a year before the change and honestly was never particularly good in the in the ring. By the time she started to adapt and improve the NXT call ups had already done so on the main roster, and WWE wanted to focus on them. She would be in a much better position on Smackdown where she would be arguably better than Carmella, Bliss, & Natalya.

36 minutes ago, Jamal said:

There is a notable difference. Nikki stepped up a lot and it was notable in the Charlotte matches. The thing is it took a bit for the Horsewomen to adapt to the main roster. Now I would say Charlotte, Sasha, Becky have adapted and improved themselves back to what they were in NXT, arguably more so in Charlotte's & Becky's cases. Naomi was making great strides as a heel. Can't really say anything yet about her as a face again as she hasn't been given much to do. Fox hasn't stepped up at all. She has moments where she can be really solid, but she can also be a bit inconsistent. She was one of the better women before the Revolution. Now she has been passed by already by the Horsewomen, Nikki, & Naomi, Emma, & Nia with Bliss & Paige not far behind. I don't really see her doing much other than jobbing.

I look back at some of those Paige/Emma matches and realize that Emma was the one who was the glue in those matches that made them good. 

I hope they send Emma to Smackdown when she gets back because Emma/Nikki, Emma/Becky, and Emma/Naomi all sound like things I really want to see. She should be the heel centerpiece of that show's women's division, maybe with Natalya as her Starscream. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well in theory - Emma should get sent to Smackdown to be with Ryder but they are probably at capacity on the women's roster there

It's like you've never watched WWE before.  Even Scott Steiner can correctly calculate the slim odds Ryder and Emma end up on the same show while they're dating.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DTTW said:

Seeing all this talk of women wrestling leads me to ask....how many 4*+ women's matches have involved women from the WWE? I can only recall one off the top of my head.

On the main roster maybe the Sasha/Charlotte title change from Raw. In NXT nearly every major Takeover women's match has been in that range, and a few tv matches.

Random thought apropos of nothing: Does anyone use a slingshot jackhammer?  I don't think I've ever seen one in real life.  For some reason, I was thinking today that that would be a great finisher for a power guy.  I'm not even a huge fan of the normal, Goldberg-style jackhammer.

So James Ellsworth had an AMA on Reddit today and I read some of his comments, this was pretty cool and made me laugh 

I have seen Vince numerous times. The first time I talked to him was after the Strowman match. One of the agents told me he wanted to see me. He extended his hand and said, "you killed it, kid." Meant a lot to me.

I've also meant HHH numerous times.

I got lucky that the fans made me so popular, and when I saw Vince at Backlash he said, "Hey Ellsworth!" Growing up I idolized him, so this whole experience has just been so cool.

• Like 7