DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Thing that annoys me the most right now in wrestling:  multi man matches whether singles/tag on the indies/PWG/AAW/ROH or NJPW and it's "okay you do a spot"  "now you do a spot"  "now you dive to the outside"  "now you"

It really sucks...  I know Meltzer loves these match types but I don't get it at all.

Pretty much. My only issue is when you have 3 or 5 guys standing around waiting for the last person to do a dive. 

I find the lucha libre take on this to be the least offensive as they usually do a chain of 1 vs. 1 dives and the last duo stay in the ring and keep the action going.

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

These matches have been going on for at least 20 years in some form or another and there's lots of people who do like them.

It's worse now. For me anyway. Everyone does the same exact dives.  Everyone does the same superkicks. Everyone does the same Tanahashi moveset. Yes, of course people like them. 

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Funnily enough, the guy who originally wrote the script back in 2010 opened his own wrestling promotion recently,  Lucha Ilimitado.

Small world - I just saw a tweet that they've booked Rey Jr. for a show in freaking Yakima, WA.  YAKIMA.  There is NOTHING in Yakima, let alone lucha fans.  The only notable wrestling thing that ever happened there was Brian Pillman cutting a promo in '97 saying he understood why Kurt Cobain blew his head off.

(Although the main with Austin/Undertaker vs. Owen/Davey Boy was pretty good.)

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Small world - I just saw a tweet that they've booked Rey Jr. for a show in freaking Yakima, WA.  YAKIMA.  There is NOTHING in Yakima, let alone lucha fans.  The only notable wrestling thing that ever happened there was Brian Pillman cutting a promo in '97 saying he understood why Kurt Cobain blew his head off.

(Although the main with Austin/Undertaker vs. Owen/Davey Boy was pretty good.)

I remember Nitro being there the day after Spring Stampded '99 and the Luchadores had a great match and were over like Rover. Just looked it up and the city has a 41.3% Latino population.

25 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I remember Nitro being there the day after Spring Stampded '99 and the Luchadores had a great match and were over like Rover. Just looked it up and the city has a 41.3% Latino population.

Huh.  I'll be damned.  Wasn't like that last time I was there, but granted, that was... 

...fuck, 19 years ago.  I am old.