DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

39 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Whats is this Last battle of Atlanta people are speaking of? Is it supposed to be good?

not sure if serious.

the Last Battle of Atlanta is reportedly one of the best (and bloodiest) cage matches of all time. Tommy Rich and Buzz Sawyer battled it out in an enclosed cage in October of 1983. no footage has EVER been released from it (not on GCW/WCW tv at the time, not on any compilations, etc.) and it is reported to be a fantastic fight and fitting end for their near two-year feud.

there have been discussions for YEARS that footage did not exist. Or did exist, but Ole Anderson destroyed it. Or that only one man had it but would never release it. and on and on.

the fact that we are mere days from literally the rarest and most requested match in history showing up is quite the accomplishment.

link: a KayFabe Memories thread discussing the video availability of the match (from 2009): http://www.infinitecore.ca/superstar/index.php?km_km_ict=3c9e27c589db2a1b7195853080d30a0a&threadid=63013&page=0#pager

• Like 1

I've heard of it, but not being a huge NWA guy, have never read up on it's, uhh, importance. I'm looking forward to watching it though.

Since they're unearthing these "gems", maybe we'll finally get to see that Bret/Magee match. 

I'd never heard of the match until all this discussion either, but that territory and time period is a bit out of my knowledge base.

Is the Bret/Funk match they're advertising the one from Funk's retirement show in the late 90s featuring Mr. I Wasn't Booked?  I didn't realize that match/show was a rarity. Looking over the full card I'm trying to figure out which match is the most random.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Is the Bret/Funk match they're advertising the one from Funk's retirement show in the late 90s featuring Mr. I Wasn't Booked?

Yeah. Watching the trailer clip, it's weird seeing Bret filmed ECW-style. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2016 at 2:20 PM, CreativeControl said:

Dan Severn does have a point. In fact, it's pretty striking how they have similarly been portrayed:

Both had a mouthpiece, both had a prize fighter aura, both got in the ring, did the business and got out. Just a shame that Severn came through in the wrong era and couldn't commit fully to the WWF schedule.

I remember thinking Severn was the most vicious guy out there when he came into WWF, he had this respectable look but once he got in the ring he turned into an animal. He's probably the last legitimate badass-shooter NWA champion too

Obviously forgetting MMA enthusiast Jeff Jarrett

• Like 1

Back to the GLOW show, Chavo Guerrero is set to be the wrestling coordinator for the show. I don't know if it will translate to an acting role on the show or not. Coincidentally his uncle Mando was the trainer for GLOW back in the day.  

• Like 2

She has "Broken" in her name. Perhaps her broken brilliance has been unleashed and she has decided to join her immortal spirit brothers, Matt Hardy and Brother Nero, in thsir quest to end the Decay of the Zone of Impact.

If Broken Matt has a preemonishen that a woman with glowing hair will help eliminate the Decay then I think it's all confirmed.

That or her neck is in 1000 pieces and she has to retire :(

• Like 1

I hope this Sasha Banks thing is an angle were she cuts a promo alluding to retirement only for Charlotte and Dana to interrupt her and beat Sasha down prompting Bayley to make the ssave setting up a tag team main event of Charlotte and Danna vs Sasha and Bayley.