DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Skeeball Wizard said:

Cocaine?

I'm glad I had enough willpower to not make the obvious Hulk Hogan cocaine joke when the initial post was made. Lord knows I thought about it, but I didn't give into temptation. That's real progress on my part. 

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm glad I had enough willpower to not make the obvious Hulk Hogan cocaine joke when the initial post was made. Lord knows I thought about it, but I didn't give into temptation. That's real progress on my part. 

Pssh, "progress". You're a step skipper!

• Like 1

So the quote thing isn't working for some reason....

Russo isn't making a living on wrestling anymore. There is no way a podcast is keeping him afloat. Which is why it's all so much more baffling. A lot of people aren't aren't really saying his name, they are talking about the stupid shit he said. No one is really praising him. It's not drawing money. It's just a guy screaming into the darkness of night which a few people hear and then tell their friends about this crazy guy screaming in the middle of the night and it's annoying.

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

So the quote thing isn't working for some reason....

Russo isn't making a living on wrestling anymore. There is no way a podcast is keeping him afloat. Which is why it's all so much more baffling. A lot of people aren't aren't really saying his name, they are talking about the stupid shit he said. No one is really praising him. It's not drawing money. It's just a guy screaming into the darkness of night which a few people hear and then tell their friends about this crazy guy screaming in the middle of the night and it's annoying.

Vince Russo deserves to be scrubbing toilets somewhere really nasty, like a truck stop bathroom or Denny's. 

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

It's also possible Russo's just doing it because he's an attention whore.  It really doesn't take that much time out of his schedule to do it.

It seems more like the attention whore thing- since the weirdest part about Russo's troll stuff is on paper- most of the rise of the indy darlings in WWE would be right out of the Vince Russo playbook from his booking runs. Whether it was WWF before/during the Attitude Era, WCW in 2000's fall, or his TNA runs, most of Vince Russo's playbook seems to follow the same gameplan:

1- Give the roster an enema. Flush out all of the uppercarders who've either been weighed, measured, and found wanting as stars or the aging stars who are losing their star power...and do this knowing getting rid of this many "stars" will cause a drop in the ratings immediately.

2- In their place, build the company around the more popular midcarders who are rising stars in the show. Push them to the moon. Give them the world, and hope that their cult following translates to a mainstream following, which could become lightning in a bottle and give you a number of hot young top stars...which would eventually fix the ratings slide.

3- While this is going on, pander to the IWC/the smarks- because they're the only people obsessed with pro wrestling enough to keep watching during your rebuilding process...AND when things have turned the corner, they'll also be the first adopters who'll tell the rest of the world wrestling's great and it's okay to start watching again.

16 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

It seems more like the attention whore thing- since the weirdest part about Russo's troll stuff is on paper- most of the rise of the indy darlings in WWE would be right out of the Vince Russo playbook from his booking runs. Whether it was WWF before/during the Attitude Era, WCW in 2000's fall, or his TNA runs, most of Vince Russo's playbook seems to follow the same gameplan:

1- Give the roster an enema. Flush out all of the uppercarders who've either been weighed, measured, and found wanting as stars or the aging stars who are losing their star power...and do this knowing getting rid of this many "stars" will cause a drop in the ratings immediately.

2- In their place, build the company around the more popular midcarders who are rising stars in the show. Push them to the moon. Give them the world, and hope that their cult following translates to a mainstream following, which could become lightning in a bottle and give you a number of hot young top stars...which would eventually fix the ratings slide.

3- While this is going on, pander to the IWC/the smarks- because they're the only people obsessed with pro wrestling enough to keep watching during your rebuilding process...AND when things have turned the corner, they'll also be the first adopters who'll tell the rest of the world wrestling's great and it's okay to start watching again.

Sounds like the way the main roster is going right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NickMD said:

Please, please tweet both of those jokers with that.  It's very true, but I'd love to see what they do in response.

I don't wish harm to them, but do wish they'd go on a deserted island and bicker among themselves.  One of two things would happen:

1. Either they learn to begrudgingly like each other and find a way to get off that island or 

2. They kill each other withing a day or two.

You'd hope for option 1, but know it'd likely be option 2.

You forgot

3.  They finally acknowledge their true feelings for each other, and spend the rest of their days making mad, passionate love every night on the beach.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

You forgot

3.  They finally acknowledge their true feelings for each other, and spend the rest of their days making mad, passionate love every night on the beach.

...in Puerto Rico, the shining star of the Carribean

• Like 1

4 hours ago, piranesi said:

Up until he mentioned the election I was expecting this to go a little differently:

"Hi, my name is Kurt Angle, I'm an Olympic gold medalist, and my parole officer told me I have to collect signatures of everyone in the neighborhood of my halfway house before I can operate a motor vehicle.  There are three or four pages of information about the various things I've done and I really need you to sign all of them.  Also are you interested in buying a gold medal?"

I got the vibe of Kurt going around informing his new neighbors of his status as a registered sex offender.

Spot I've now seen multiple times and never want to see again.  

Wrestler A is taking on Wrestler B and C, in a tag match.  Wrestler A grabs wrestler B and uses him like a battering ram into wrestler C who holds onto his partner in a headlock afterwards while Wrestler A dropkicks Wrestler C who as he's falling backwards "inadvertently" DDTs his partner.  Awful, awful spot. 

43 minutes ago, caley said:

Wrestler A is taking on Wrestler B and C, in a tag match.  Wrestler A grabs wrestler B and uses him like a battering ram into wrestler C who holds onto his partner in a headlock afterwards while Wrestler A dropkicks Wrestler C who as he's falling backwards "inadvertently" DDTs his partner.  Awful, awful spot. 

tough_enough.gif

2 hours ago, caley said:

It's a Davey Richards spot, of course it's horrible. What did you expect? You could make it work, if you set it up with a double eye gouge or something but the idiot always plays it off as a 'look how smart I am' spot. And 'look how smart I am' spots are a heel thing to set up the babyface subsequently outsmarting them and the heel being all embarrassed and humiliated.

Since Richards got injured and Edward Edwards has been wrestling as a single, he isn't doing any of Davey's shitwork in his matches. Makes you wonder why he agrees to do that stuff when Davey's healthy - he obviously knows it's bad, because if he thought it was great, he'd keep doing it. Be more assertive, Eddie Edwards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caley said:

On the heels of that, for some reason I've always liked the spot where Wrestler A whips Wrestler B into the ropes and then catches him with a stiff straight kick to the gut on the rebound. It's a spot that Dynamite, Bulldog, Bret and a couple of other Stampede guys used to do quite a bit. A simple spot but I've always thought it looked really vicious and cool.

13 hours ago, Ace said:

Rhyno's campaign ad.

1. Unless there's a Hurricane coming through, you leave the bottom button undone on your jacket!! Who gets to 40 without learning this?

2. He's over complicating this shit. Dude needs to get a couple of ham'n'eggers dressed up as 'Tax' and 'Spend'......then GORE them. Simples.