SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

AUTUMN OF THE HEATH!!!!*

SOURCE: Wrestling Observer

*Previously falsely reported as the TWILIGHT OF THE MIZ

SOURCE: Wrestling Observer

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Cass can handle the stick a lot better than Reigns. I don't think the crowd will turn on him, but he will probably end up a lot like Diesel.

I wouldn't say he's better on the stick. I would say he has a much better understanding of who his character is.

Reigns went from quiet brooding badass to smiling face cutting 5 minute promos.

So we could see Reigns now as basically getting the reactions of a solid midcard heel (lots of boos that at this point are as much for "fun" as for genuine anger, mixed with some cheers) who is "ready" be turned face (even though technically he's suppose to have never turned heel). So if you wanted to re-start him with a "new babyface turn" how do you turn him?

I mean we all know "less talking and more ass-kicking" but of who?

- I don't think they have a heel that would work for that.  It would have to be a bully who Roman can "save" people from and who is big and threatening, but who isn't heel-cool with the fans and who has a long record of being an asshole and a threat and means more than, say, Sheamus.

- He can't turn face against Owens.  Reigns will be the heel there. 

- He couldn't do it against Rusev.  Rusev is too amazing and was sympathetic in that feud.

- They never seem to be able to get people to hate Brock enough and it would take awhile and they don't get to use hi enough for that.

- The only other big heel on RAW is Strowman, right?

- Strowman would need to do something more than hilariously beat up jobbers to be disliked enough. So they would need a bunch of sympathetic babyfaces for him to destroy to set up Roman being the babyface against him.

- So what to do with Roman in the meantime?  tag him back with Seth and let him be the defender before breaking him off to deal with Strowman?

5 minutes ago, piranesi said:

- So what to do with Roman in the meantime?  tag him back with Seth and let him be the defender before breaking him off to deal with Strowman?

You could send him away to come back fresh. I'm not in the know, but i have a feeling a Japanese or Mexican promotion would pay top dollar for Roman for 2-3 months.

And don't y'all dare act like the WWE just needs Roman around.

Just now, DTTW said:

You could send him away to come back fresh. I'm not in the know, but i have a feeling a Japanese or Mexican promotion would pay top dollar for Roman for 2-3 months.

I have a feeling that if he disappeared for 5 months and they did nothing else to "fix him" and then his music hit on RAW he would get instant Mania-sized boos again just out of familiarity and the sense of "oh, so they think we forgot, fuck Vince!"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Strowman would need to do something more than hilariously beat up jobbers to be disliked enough. So they would need a bunch of sympathetic babyfaces for him to destroy to set up Roman being the babyface against him.

Sami Zayn, come on down.

What's scary about that is that of all the parts and joints I imagine are being destroyed in every wrestler, the elbow is not even high on the list. I mean, when you do an elbow drop you are landing on your upper arm not your actual elbow.  I would imagine that causes more damage to the shoulder than the elbow.

If that's what elbows look like in "all the boys" I can't even imagine what "all the boys" hips look like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

And don't y'all dare act like the WWE just needs Roman around.

We had a similar discussion last month, I think.  Going to Japan would be great, but I can't see Vince going for it.  HHH probably would, if there was a six-month star for star program exchange. 

And honestly, Reigns is needed.  Raw's main event is pretty anemic.  It's Owens, Rollins, and Reigns.  Jericho can easily be worked in.  HHH can work a couple of matches. But beyond that, it's all mid-carders or guys who need to be built up for a few months before they can be on that level.  Unless they can talk Lesnar into doing more shows, they can't afford to let anyone healthy not be around.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - the new PWI 500 is coming out.

Roman Reigns is #1

(Rippa mentally notes that he will have to come back and close the thread)

I'd put The Big Dog #1 from a workrate point of view but PWI is supposed to be about the kay fab and nobody was more kayfabulous last year than the man they call Vacant.  Multiple World Title reigns across multiple companies.  "Vacant" Abe Yance the real #1.  PWI, hock-pooey!

• Like 1

BTW - in the August thread it was brought up that someone was claiming that Meltzer said no one knew including KO about the finish.

What Meltzer actually wrote in the WON

All the key people, Stephanie, Foley, Owens and Rollins all acted shocked by what HHH did, with the idea that nobody knew what he was doing and to create a cliffhanger to hopefully build next week’s ratings for his explanation. Owens was so convincing that there were people who believed they had swerved him on the finish, but this was not like Lesnar vs. Orton at all, and everyone involved knew what was up and were just good actors.

The funniest part of the story was after HHH had given the heel an undeserved title win, the crowd started chanting at Owens, “You deserve it.”

• Like 3