DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE EIGHT - Quarters (8/31/16)

RIPPA

I totally agree with you @Beech27 Ibushi in this tournament has become the #1 team in the nation that you know before the playoffs/tournament even starts is probably going to win so in a way it has made him someone I want to root against. I think we all like the underdog stories and care less about the guy who is doing what he was born to do.  Win.  Keep in mind if he does square off against ZSJ at some point in this that is not really an underdog story either.  That'd be like Duke vs. North Carolina in the final. Both can go to hell. :D

I feel like Metalik is "run of the mill good." Yeah he's got some cool moves, and his matches are solid, but there's just nothing that makes me want to see him more. There's nothing compelling about his character. His matches have the same baseline "goodness," but it takes a special opponent to move the needle much further for me (which is why I unsurprisingly liked the Tajiri match the best).

It's how I imagine a lot of people here felt about Finn Balor.

• Like 1

Personally I've been blown away by Gran Metalik. He makes shit that should be super difficult look very easy. None of his matches have been anything less than very good. I think he can be very interesting on the main roster because he has the size to match up against all competitors. He's what Sin Cara should have been.

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Personally I've been blown away by Gran Metalik. He makes shit that should be super difficult look very easy. None of his matches have been anything less than very good. I think he can be very interesting on the main roster because he has the size to match up against all competitors. He's what Sin Cara should have been.

And Sombra 

• Like 1

Holy fuck that was a Burning Hammer. And Ibushi kicked out?

What?

Sorry I am late. I was catching up. But naw.

The only thing I can see taking out Ibushi is the Steiner Screwdriver and looking at the current cast left, I don't feel like anybody could pull that off safely. Look at this shit.

tumblr_octxzdgu4H1s066k8o1_400.gif

tumblr_o36h1uwvUe1u2ragso1_r1_500.gif

Dude nailed it perfectly too. The move has a hundred percent win rate. There is shit you just don't do in wrestling. You don't powerbomb Billy Kidman. You don't splash mountain Mysterio. You don't drop the chair when Eddie throws it to you. And you don't fucking kick out of a Burning Hammer, Steiner Screwdriver, and Tiger Driver '93. No, Kota. A Brain Buster and nasty kick? Sure. A goddamn Burning Hammer. It is the move I expect to beat Brock Lesnar clean. Naw. I have seen some ridiculous indie shit, but that took the cake. Now motherfucker's are going to be kicking out of top rope sheer piledrivers now.

Great matches. Cedric Alexander match is still my favorite. 

14 hours ago, Dog said:

But if neither Sabre nor Ibushi sign ... do we still get that match in the finals? Or do they put over someone they have under contract?

I could still see Ibushi winning the whole thing, even without a contract.  I doubt they've given up on signing him, and the tournament trophy is a nice carrot to dangle in front of him.  Ibushi seems like he'd get distracted by shiny things.  But I doubt they like ZSJ enough to push him through to the finals too without a deal in place.

A lot of people are complaining about the burning hammer.  Don't sleep on the fact that Ibushi survived Kendrick's "bully choke," which has been put over as his finisher in the tournament, TWICE.  He also kicked out of the sliced bread #2.  This match was good but it needed someone to reign it in a bit during the planning stages.   

• Like 2

Can we stop acting like kicking out of a 5'9 157 lb Brian Kendrick burning hammer is the same as kicking out of Kenta f'n Kobashi's burning hammer. The biggest reason the CWC has been so good is because these are guys who for the most part haven't been brainwashed by WWE style coming in and doing their thing. Some of it works some of it doesn't, but it beats the shit out of seeing a card like Summerslam with 10 singles matches worked in the same style. Kendrick tried a desperation kill move that didn't work because he never uses the move and doesn't have the physical stature to hit it like it's originator. Pretty fucking simple explanation.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

A lot of people are complaining about the burning hammer.  Don't sleep on the fact that Ibushi survived Kendrick's "bully choke," which has been put over as his finisher in the tournament, TWICE.  He also kicked out of the sliced bread #2.  This match was good but it needed someone to reign it in a bit during the planning stages.   

It was already established that the Bully choke can be broken out of if his opponent isn't too worn down.  If freaking Tony Nese can break out of it once, I don't think it's unbelievable that Ibushi survived it twice. 

The Burning Hammer got a 1 count in a RoH match ten years ago as a fuck you to Dan Maff. I'm sure Maff has nerfed it on tons of indies. No move has a 100% win rate which is good because it would quickly become like the CHIKARA Special with everyone under the sun using it. Wrestling is about specialties. 

Yes Kendrick's Burning Hammer was perfectly done. But he isn't Kenta Kobashi. You don't even need more logic than "Brian Kendrick isn't Kenta Kobashi." Because from a realism perspective? The Burning Hammer is no more deadly than any other head dropping move.

Kenta Kobashi's Burning Hammer still has and will always have a 100% win rate. The move was used as a MAJOR nearfall and desperation move here. It was hardly disrespected. Kendrick isn't Kobashi so it wasn't enough. That's wrestling.

Both matches ruled but the main event was outstanding. Kinda wondering if Metallik doesn't take the whole thing to give them the Latin star they wanted Kalisto to be for a hot minute.

• Like 2

I imagine agents or someone is having discussions with the wrestlers prior to their match and going over bullet points/story elements/finishing stretches, no?  I don't know why we should believe that these guys aren't going to be allowed to use some of their moves.  Owens uses almost all of his moves. Rollins uses most of his moves. Nakamura uses his moves. Who isn't being allowed to use their moves?