DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XII

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if it's intentional but Miz v. Dolph just proved again that you can work a relatively safe match (for 2016 anyway) and still draw the entire crowd in and it's every bit as dramatic and effective.  I don't think we are seeing the genie put back in the bottle or anything, high risks are here to stay but I would love to see more of this. 

Do we think it was intentional?  I feel like maybe it was

I 100% want to believe it was designed that way and I also want to believe Daniel Bryan was watching backstage saying things like "Well...maaaybe...suuuuure.  Oookay...Yeeeeah...okaaaay."

I mean, it's hard to imagine Miz not wanting to defend his style and knowing he needs to make the point.

22 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Sure, you can hate on the athletic, agile guys all you want because you want to relate to the Miz, but come on.

relate to a millionaire with a supermodel wife?  This is just a weird angle to take. It's like you find something wrong with the simple criticism that maybe sometimes guys don't have to be dropped on their head to make a match worth watching.  I don't think a "safer" style is above criticism either. Both have their highs and lows. Both can be very effective.

It's not a slight on Bryan to praise Miz. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

A worked injury where he's out for 2-3 weeks and on TV on crutches and cutting promos wouldn't be too bad. But what are the long term plans for Kendrick anyway? He'd be better off on Raw as the veteran in their cruiserweight division, so maybe you can have Miz take Kendrick out, then bring him back on Raw triumphantly a few weeks later? Dunno.

Have him somehow lined up for a Cruiserweight title shot on RAW but Bryan convinces him for a one off Smackdown appearance against Miz where he gets injured and misses the match.  They could go a million different ways from there.

• Like 2

One thing also about AJ Styles is that he certainly works a risky style, he takes some really INSANE bumps in damn near every match he's in but the fucking guy is so athletic a lot of the stuff he's doing comes very easy to him.

It's like looking at a gymnast and saying wow holy shit, she could have killed herself. Yeah, maybe..  but she is super athletic and does these things all the time. They come easy to her.

Some of these dudes attempt to perform the same moves and take the same bumps as AJ but they aren't as athletic as he is.

You need to know what your limits are.  AJ doesn't appear to have any. Most guys do. The style The Miz works is PERFECT for him.

• Like 2

The payoff is John Cena winning the one belt he's never held in WWE. Daniel Bryan eventually turns to his sister-in-law's boyfriend to save the day. Plus if Maryse is game we might get some interesting Nikki Bella/Maryse matches which also furthers the goal of explaining why Nikki is not in the title hunt

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

The payoff is John Cena winning the one belt he's never held in WWE. Daniel Bryan eventually turns to his sister-in-law's boyfriend to save the day. Plus if Maryse is game we might get some interesting Nikki Bella/Maryse matches which also furthers the goal of explaining why Nikki is not in the title hunt

That'd be a really disappointing payoff. 

31 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

This sounds very plausible, so much so I'm now more than a little afraid it's happening. It feels like his first order of business will be with Styles, though. Otherwise, why keep using the armband? And Cena is on the precipice of a historic title win. 

Regarding Nak: I think the IC title would be a great intro for him. Daniel Bryan can tell everyone he's the best wrestler in the world, and Miz getting destroyed will get a huge pop, smark crowd or not. Given time, he'll get himself over, but I don't think the Bálor push would be best. (Even Styles, better known to US audiences, had to fiddle around for a bit before getting to the top. He's also more comfortable working shorter TV matches, which I think Nak has struggled with a bit so far.)

17 minutes ago, Lacelle said:

Then bank on it. This is the same company who gave Rusev's first loss to the same young up & comer. 

I still don't understand why people complain about this. They built up an unstoppable foreign monster and then fed him to the company ace. That's pro wrestling 101.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I still don't understand why people complain about this. They built up an unstoppable foreign monster and then fed him to the company ace. That's pro wrestling 101.

Because it's Cena: he can't wrestle, cuts dumb promos, holds down everyone, never puts anyone over, is past his prime, can't wrestle, he-invalidates-my-arguments-but-admitting-fault-is-uncool, and he's a doodoo head.

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah but then they fed him and fed him some more and then threw him in a waste of a program.  Thankfully, Rusev was so brilliant he worked his way through it. I've always hated that we need to get 3-4 matches out of these feuds. It's just way too much.  Rusev won with the pass out victory which was cool and then Cena got the win in the return match at Mania.  Leave it at that and move Rusev into something else. They did the same thing with Bray. It'd be different if these guys didn't wrestle on TV every week but they do so I think a guy like Rusev needs a little more protection. He can't just be losing all the time. He'd lose the aura.

Not to derail the thread, but to answer someone's earlier question, I thought all of Miz's matches with Cesaro back in 2012 were all good-to-great matches, especially their 2 out of 3 falls.  I thought his feud with Daniel Bryan produced some very good matches as well.  Miz has always been an unselfish worker.  He's not worried about making sure he comes out of a match looking good, something that Jim Ross once told me he really doesn't like.

Maybe not what anyone would call a great match, but I remember on a Cyber Sunday show way back in 2007, Miz ended up facing CM Punk for a fan-voted ECW title match.  I think that was the first match where I thought Miz genuinely looked decent and hung in there with an internet darling and more experienced veteran.  

Late to the party.

AJ Styles rightly won the WWE World Championship against Dean Ambrose at WWE Backlash . Bloody good main event, best Dean Ambrose singles match I’ve seen in WWE. My favourite thing in the match was Dean reaching back to AJ’s head while trapped in the Calf Crusher and bashing it into the mat to force the break. AJ Styles has won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, IWGP Heavyweight Championship and now the WWE World Championship. There's the PWG World Championship as well. Thanks, TheVileOne. Just Phenomenal. There are two world titles in the WWE, the WWE World Championship and the WWE Universal Championship and AJ holds the more prestigious of the two. Glad I was able to see AJ Styles at WWE Live this year and bought his shirt there. I won’t be seeing him in November as I’m at a RAW live event.

The right woman became the first WWE Smackdown Women’s Champion, Becky Lynch. Becky finally won the big one. Out of the Four Horsewomen, Becky Lynch never won the NXT Women's Championship. Becky missed out on the WWE Divas Championship and the WWE Women's Championship replacing it and is now the RAW version either. This was a fun and fast paced opener. We’ve had some really good opening matches on shows this year. What a difference in WWE women’s wrestling from 2015-2016. Endearing post match promo by Becky as well.

The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler for the WWE Intercontinental Championship turned out better than expected. Miz mocking Daniel Bryan with the surfboard and running corner dropkicks. Bryan/Miz have never got along from the start of NXT in 2010 when Miz was Pro to Daniel Bryan’s Rookie, Bryan beating Miz for the WWE United States Championship at Night of Champions 2010. There’s THAT exchange on each other recently and now this. Bryan wants someone else to be WWE Intercontinental Champion and Miz is going to keep rubbing it in.

15 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

In quite a few wrestling circles landing on your head when you leave your feet qualifies you as a great wrestler.

I would amend this to read "In quite a few wrestling fan circles landing on your head when you leave your feet qualifies you as a great wrestler."

Workers know better.

- RAF

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

He's the greatest IC champ of all time, tho.

Kingslayers do not go after barons and dukes, homie.

The only thing that a victory over Miz should mean for Nak is that it puts him in contention for a shot at AJ's title.

• Like 2

I hate to admit it, but I kinda want to see Miz get the best of Daniel Bryan in this feud,  Somewhere in the middle of D Bryan coming back from injury and seemingly going out of his way to take bumps on his head or neck, admitting he'd prefer to be wrestling even if he suffers more neurological impairment, and being kind of a passive-aggressive douche on Total Divas, I stopped rooting for him.

• Like 1

On 2016-09-12 at 0:37 PM, offspring515 said:

I like Mauro but the puns and references feel so forced.  I prefer his Japanese wrestler name-dropping to the pop culture stuff. 

Yeah, Ranallo made a Meek Mill reference during the TJP/Swann match and it made no sense and was so rushed it sounded like gibberish.

57 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I hate to admit it, but I kinda want to see Miz get the best of Daniel Bryan in this feud,  Somewhere in the middle of D Bryan coming back from injury and seemingly going out of his way to take bumps on his head or neck, admitting he'd prefer to be wrestling even if he suffers more neurological impairment, and being kind of a passive-aggressive douche on Total Divas, I stopped rooting for him.

Well, also, the active worker should ultimately get the best of the inactive GM/Authority Figure.

[Crazy idea, I know.]