DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XII

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I expected AJ to win but I'm still kinda shocked that the best combination worker/promo on each brand is holding the top title right now...

Oh and in other news I'll be changing my name to SmackDown Women's Championship...

Seriously the bit where the dude comes off the elevator is why everyone should love Becky

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As I said last night - the best thing about the Usos heel turn is we no longer have to say O when they say Uce

Yes, the Usos needed to ditch Make A Difference Fatu in favor of Samoan Gangsta Party.

Now that this kick ass gimmick is in full swing, there is no way that anything with Heath Slater attached to it will draw heel heat. so having The Usos go heel was a smart move because the tag division will have to be heel heavy while the current champs have the belts.

• Like 2

This is what was good/great about this show, and SD in general right now. Every match had a meaning and there are several stories going forward for just about everybody from here.

In the Women's match, Carmella/Nikki was moved forward with Carmella getting the pinfall on Nikki. I don't expect much from the eventual match, but at least there's motivation and history behind what's happening there. Becky finally won her title in a great feel good moment and has several challengers set up for the future. Her against Naomi or Alexa from here will be good stuff. And speaking of Alexa, for those who didn't know here from NXT and are just now introduced to her on the main roster, she just got over her entire character in this one match and was totally protected in her loss with that super blockbuster.

Ziggler has to be getting set up for the heel turn as the fed up face who keeps losing and going nowhere. His face character is so stale, but what does he do when he goes heel and who does he go heel against? As many have already said, The Miz really brought it and has been bringing it for awhile now. His interaction with Bryan before the match was interesting. Do we get a flipped version of heel GM out to get the face Champ with Bryan sending guys against The Miz and stacking the deck against him? Really seems like they are building to Miz/Bryan, but we know that isn't possible. Maybe building to a Joe or Nak debut on the main roster when everything else Bryan tries to get the title off of The Miz fails?

The Usos were a completely new team as heels. They brought the anger and hate and it was good. Was surprised that they took the fall clean, but they were somewhat protected as it was their second match of the night. I don't expect Slater/Rhyno to last long as tag champs, but it was another feelgood moment of the night with Slater. I'm guessing The Usos will get the titles shortly and go in to a program with the returning American Alpha, but where does that leave the rest of the SD tag roster? Seems like a secondary feud could be set up somehow, but do we want/need to see The Hype Bros feuding for weeks with The Vaudvillians?

Kane being the opponent was obvious, but I figured it would be to give Bray a good win while the feud with Orton is on hold. Like many, I was hoping for a Luke Harper return and thought Bray taking the loss to Kane in 2016 is lame. I hope that Harper makes his return when Orton/Bray do have their eventual match so Bray can at least get a win over Orton there, but we know that Bray will eventually lose to Orton. I think the only way to save Bray at this point is a face turn, because as a heel, he's losing/has lost all his aura.

AJ/Ambrose was way better than I expected. With the way the announcers sold AJ's win as "tainted" because of the low blow, this seems like it will continue between Ambrose and AJ, but AJ as the SD Champ is much more fun to me than Ambrose. After Ambrose, though, who steps up as AJ's next challenger? The unfortunate eventuality is Cena returns to take back the title, but before then? Orton after he gets past Bray? Bray face turn to go after AJ and the title? An NXT call-up like Joe or Nakamura? Curt Hawkins?

Overall, this was a very enjoyable show. It helps that everything was given the time it needs, but also that nothing was stretched out too long. The show was just over 2 1/2 hours long instead of just over 3, so it flew by and was easier to watch. Most stories were given satisfactory endings, but leaves so much more open moving forward to make you want to watch on Tuesday. It was all logical and made sense. What more could you ask for from a wrestling show?

• Like 1

Damn fine PPV all around.

Harley Bliss! This is the second multi-women match that she helped pace by doing some damn fine dominating (the other was the NXT Triple Threat).

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one seeing the Punk UFC debut recreation!

Miz/Dolph was way better than it had any right to be! (Especially given Dolph's last PPV match.) I've put Dolph in the category of someone who wrestles to the level of his opponent... which means Miz is a freakin damn fine pro wrestler!

There's like no transition rust for the heel Us-Nos. Taking a page out of the Revival's playbook really helps too.

I chalk the overall success of Smackdown Live to that ex-NXT head writer.

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Is there any sort of rules issue with that? That he's getting this TV time while running?

Oh I am sure someone would claim an equal time thing if they really wanted to.

Though in this case - Rhyno is technically just doing his job so I think they are protected

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Is there any sort of rules issue with that? That he's getting this TV time while running?

You could make a case for Fred Thompson from Law and Order but as we have seen this year regarding Trump and The Apprentice, nobody pays attention to election rules.  It all comes down to interpretation so just ignore the rule and do what you want.

Equal time rules give the candidate's opponent a week to request said time.  After that they have no recourse.

I really think that Naomi's entrance is the final piece in her being the entire package.

Were they using the same stage configuration from Smackdown?  That seems really lame.

13 hours ago, Greggulator said:

But I think it's time people started to come back around on Ziggler. He's really great at selling and comebacks and making others look good in losing. 

Dolph Ziggler is great at exactly zero of the things you listed. 

• Like 7

The monitors/gorilla/entrance change from Raw to Smackdown, and I was HOPING they'd change configurations for PPVs too.  The set up they had for Smackdown after Summerslam was great, with the really interesting split "bubble walls" on either side of the 3 sided "Titantron"

Raw's configuration, with the new "widescreen tron" is nice, and of course the Summerslam config was probably the best thing they've done the past 3-4 years )including WM sets)  Last week they brought back the old grey bar lighting rig that was on the 1st generation HD stage setup, and shrunk down Smackdown's overall stage configuration, while bringing in the multi monitor setup they use on Raw in place of the split bubble walls.  Very disappointing, but I can see how it helps with load-in/load-out times.

Really dug the women's six pack thing. My wife started laughing her ass off when Carmella was just paint-brushing the shit out of Nikki. Naomi is a freak of nature. I dug the Harley Quinn look on Alexa. Becky Lynch deserves all the good things.

Thought Hype Bros/Usos was better than it should've been. Heel Usos are fantastic. 

Miz/Ziggler was the aces. I hate all this idiotic "Ziggler can't work" nonsense. Ziggler is fantastic, and I thought the Miz got a TON out of him. 

Usos/ Slater & Rhyno was REALLY fun. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy sleazy, angry Usos. The finishing stretch was as satisfying a payoff as WWE has had in 2016. Well, top 5. 

I like Ambrose more than most here, but I think his act had gotten beyond stale since he became champion. I was excited for him to win the title from Rollins, saving us from another endless run of "Captain Flippy-do", but I'm not sure his character as currently constituted is capable of carrying a brand. Also, I live 30 minutes from Gainesville, and a lot of people around here have only good things to say about AJ Styles, so I'm happy for him. I hope this gives Dean an opportunity to re-tool his character and come back strong.

All in all, really good show. Except the Bray thing. inexplicable.

13 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Also, the jumping superkick to the back of the knee is my favorite move in wrestling right now. It is nasty, and it should be death. I don't want to see some face fight out of a submission after being kicked with it. It either gets whiffed, or it gets the win. That's how that move should be treated. 

Dunno if I linked it right but the way the Usos hit that kick it reminds me of the dirty kick that took down Daniel at 0:09 in the best possible way.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The Miz does Daniel Bryan's moveset better than Daniel Bryan by virtue of not landing on his goddamn head anytime he leaves his feet.

In quite a few wrestling circles landing on your head when you leave your feet qualifies you as a great wrestler.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Thought Hype Bros/Usos was better than it should've been. Heel Usos are fantastic. 

I had the same thoughts last night.

Also, unrelated to that... something that irked me about Mauro's call last night.

Nattie goes for the sharpshooter, and Mauro's all "THE SHARPSHOOTER RIKI CHOSHU AEKJBDAFRAFFV~ .....Bret Hart".

I know it's nitpicky on my part. But I feel like if you're gonna namedrop somebody on a Sharphooter, in the WWE, shouldn't Bret come first?

• Like 3