DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XII

Dolfan in NYC

Also, the jumping superkick to the back of the knee is my favorite move in wrestling right now. It is nasty, and it should be death. I don't want to see some face fight out of a submission after being kicked with it. It either gets whiffed, or it gets the win. That's how that move should be treated. 

• Like 3

This was a good wrestling show and like its been said good show from a storytellers standpoint.

Besides Bray vs Kane, I thought it was a fun match but bray should have kicked out after that RKO/Chokelsam combo then pinned Kane. Would have made Bray seem impervious to the RKo and furthered the Bray/Orton feud.

I'm happy for Becky. A big win/celebration for her was long overdue.

I was definitely digging the heel Usos. Bringing back the tequila sunrise was awesome.

The Miz/Ziggler match felt like a standard Miz or Ziggler match, outside of that odd run in the middle where Miz started doing all of Bryan's moves, which was hilarious. If he did the missile dropkick/kip up combo when he went to the top, I would've lost it. They really should've saved that for the end because it stood out in a good way, but it felt weird just cramming it between a standard Miz heat segment and a standard Ziggler finishing run.

Can't believe Bray got pinned by Kane in 2016, even with interference.

AJ/Dean was pretty good. It has to be Dean's best singles match since the Rollins street fight that ended with the cinder block curb stomp. AJ was in top form and Dean actually wrestled like the crazy man he's supposed to be. It was good clash of styles, if you will. Also a nice bookend to the show with AJ getting a long overdue WWE championship.

AJ/KO is the coolest set of dual champs since Punk/Bryan in 2012.

The women's match was very good, but extra props go to Alexa and Naomi.  They were doing great work out there.  Alexa gets it--character, how to get heat during a match.  She's just this nasty little witch and she is so damn good at it.  Everything she hit looked crisp.  She's a star. Love the Harley Quinn/Lollipop Chainsaw look she went with, too.  Naomi's springboard plancha was daring and you can tell her attitude was I'm hitting this if it kills me.  She showed some nifty moves tonight. Her entrance/gear keeps getting better.  I know Becky just got the belt, but both of those ladies need to be in the championship mix and soon.

And Maryse!  A woman after my heart.  The perfume to the face was something I needed in my life! Where did she pull the bottle from?  I'm guessing her bra.  Whatever, what a classic heel move. I was digging her look, too.

Congrats to the women.  They nailed their performances.

• Like 4

I was there live and fighting my fear of heights in the second to last row in the building and now am chasing a gas station sub down with coffee M&Ms in a hotel room hoping I don't get murdered tonight!

Corbin-Crews was good stuff and I think this is the setting where Crews works as a white meat baby against a big old natural heel like Corbin.  Corbin still has the bad habit of missing 17 clotheslines a match but he did some neat stuff, the Irish whip counter to the outside and then sliding back inside was a nice piece of business.  The Deep Six looks CRAZY live and Crew's fallaway Samoan Drop on the floor was bonkers.  Did Corbin catch him with a knee right before the finish?  It was kind of hard to tell from the top of K2.  Anyway, this was a nice opener and both guys could use some things to do.  Corbin really came off well here to me.

Ladies 6 man challenge was fine and dandy.  I think they booked it well with the exception of Naomi going out to the sharpshooter which just felt deflating.  Alexis sure didn't lose anything going out to the powerbomb / blockbuster combination and she looked good I thought with the double knees to the backflip knees being pretty on point.  Carmella needs to tighten up a bit as her strikes can come off very much like she's flailing and I'm not sure that's what she was going for?  I thought she really botched up the Cone of Silence on Nikki before Bella stood up and Alabama slammed the Jersey out of her.  Nikki's forearms look like freight trains, holy shit.  Crowd was super into Becky and I agree it was the right cal to put the strap on her.

Usos-Hype Bros was okay filler.  I was sort of hoping Mojo would be able to work large enough to get a sense of his energy but it didn't reach the cheapest of seats.  His tackle on the outside was pretty awesome though.  He is a project that is coming along fine as a hot tag.  Ryder looked good to me but he looks so big in person that its a little harder for him for him to build some heat.  Usos changes were appreciated by me with the gear changes being more appropriate than being neon something.

Miz is awesome and if he could have done a tiger wall flip after the three corner dropkicks I would have died.  I await him breaking out the yes knee so much.  Dolph starting out working amateur was interesting if he could find a way to not make it such a hard transition from that to his normal stuff.  Also I wish he would have turned over the figure four rather than get to the ropes because 'he's no coward' and I think that would have made better narrative sense.  Other than that I have no complaints.

I'm tired Jesus.

The crowd (aka the people around me) were kind of hoping Luke Harper would be the one to take on Bray.  Alas it was not to be.  Kane is immobile at this point but he took a nice running Senton thing on the table

Tag Titles were fun but I wish Heath could have done something a little more Mikey Whipwreck out of it and really had that one big moment where he stands up and becomes a man.  I guess tagging himself in was that moment but I needed a little more from him to be honest.  I'm not a huge fan of starting the tag titles on then Rhyno/Slater paring but I'll live.

Main event was good, I wish Ambrose would have been able to channel the work he did in the final third of the match during the whole thing.  The crowd would have been turned more to his side I think if he had gone full wildman rather than a standard opening act.  The head pounding on the mat to escape the Calf Killer was the turning point I identified.  I think the match suffered only because there was no heat on AJ and most of the crowd was on his side.  They need something to draw some heat on him or he's going to end up a cool heel and that doesn't help anyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

OK, guys. Serious question. When did MIz become a superworker?

He has always been one but the IWC has this raging boner for high spots and suicide maneuvers as if that is directly proportional to workrate.

Miz has always been a great worker.  People never appreciated his style until Bryan mouthed off at him.  

He may not do the high spots but he can wrestle with the best of them. 

• Like 4

Great show. Was looking forward to this with the recent string of very good SDL episodes and every match had intrigue to it even with only six matches.

Loved the women's six pack challenge. Everyone looked awesome and I was glad they got a solid amount of time. Alexa is amazing, I continue to be impressed by Carmella, Becky remains one of the best. Excellent women's division here so far for SDL.

Dug the Usos heel work and darker look a lot, good stuff from them and a good crowd pleasing win for Rhyno and Slater. Both tags delivered well.

I love that The Demon Kane! actually went over even though I was looking forward to Orton/Wyatt but they continued that feud well. Wyatt will definitely win the first match with Orton but I feel like that could be a long feud if allowed to be.

Miz/Ziggler was great stuff from both guys, loved it. Two of my favorite guys on SDL, I didn't wanna see Ziggler lose but don't want Miz to lose the title anytime soon. The finish was well done. Felt bad for Ziggler after the preshow panel buried him, as mentioned a page or two ago with Lawler saying he beat Dolph 4 years ago with one foot in the grave followed by Lawler, Booker, and Lita all predicting Miz to win and implying Dolph may never get another shot ever if he didn't win. Glad to see most everyone praising the match. After being disappointed by Ziggler/Ambrose last month, Ziggler/Miz and Ambrose/Styles both deliver.

Awesome main event and moment for Styles to become WWE Champ. I thought they might go extra long since it started so early so I was almost surprised it ended without either finisher being kicked out of. Both guys put on a hell of match with some memorable spots, excellent main event style work. Feels like this rivalry just got started so I look forward to more from them and whatever happens next with Miz and Dolph plus the great womens' division, lots to love coming out of this show.

• Like 1

Okay, so that Ziggler and Miz match was surprisingly good and Miz brought his working boots out finally. 6 years in the closet, fam,  and dusted them motherfuckers off. But one match does not make him a superworker after years of perpetual mediocrity. And no, his style tonight was not usual Miz. Dude busted out a rope-assisted powerbomb and that nifty opponent on their knees DDT. Last time he did the formert, it was with Rey Mysterio for the World Heavyweight championship. Miz looked great and I am sure I won't be saying that again. Fuck Ziggler's busted ass HBK impression.

Naomi just needs to pace herself. Like shit, man. She is stupid athletic. She is the only woman in the world I can think of that can do Springboard moves without the bottom rope to assist. I feel like she has enough leg power to do a shooting star press. But the skin your cat headscissors was horrible especially with Nattie insisting on doing that move at the expense of breaking story and common sense. She should have just kicked Naomi off. Speaking of which, why in the blue hell were the women throwing eachother out of the ring so blatantly. I get that when it comes to multi-person matches, you don't want to crowd the ring with too much action, but they were throwing each other out of the ring for the sake of just doing that. It made no sense. Becky getting the win was great. She deserved that shit, but I wish it was for a better match. Alexa had fantastic expressions like she always does and everyone else was okay except Carmella who is still green as grass.

The Usos vs Hype Bros was okay at best. The real story that they had to get over was Slater/Rhyno and this match did it's best to sell that the Usos(squeaky babyfaces) were heels.

Bray Wyatt just can't catch a break. Look, fam, when Kane beats you, you are done being taken seriously. Like you were already done before, but damn dude. Yeah, Randy interfered, but come on.

This booking got Heath Slater over. I don't want to hear anymore excuses because if proper booking can get him over than Vince's throwing people out there to drown to miraculously conjure up a reason for audiences to give a shit style booking needs to be thrown away. I am starting to like Smackdown/NXT tag matches because they are so fucking eventful and chaotic just like tag matches should be. There was a crisp story with Rhyno and Slater in which Rhyno was Slater's Big Cass. In fact, they do the gimmick better than Enzo and Cass.

So AJ Styles is awesome. We knew this shit. 5 years ago, you could not tell me that AJ would be this fantastic heel and then NJPW and now WWE pulled the trigger on that and damn, he is such a shit talker. Not Mark Henry level of talking shit, but he is up there. I love the consistent story telling they sell with non-John style matches in which it is AJ Styles all-around best wrestler in the planet at any style vs Dean Ambrose brawler. Dean was busing out moves I have not seen out of him since his SHIELD days and for once, his offense looked unpredictable. Well as unpredictable as the WWE style allows. It was also one of the times where story that they built up to the match unfolded in the ring. At the beginning of the feud, it was kicked off with AJ finding himself on the ropes hitting his "Jesus Zipper." AJ dick kicks him in the promo for the match and as soon as he gets the opportunity, he dick kicks Ambrose again to get the W.

Great show. Could you imagine AJ Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura and Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn headlining Wrestlemania? Like holy shit.

• Like 2

Miz has been consistently good since he was wearing capris.

This is the first WWE show I've watched live and all the way through in maybe a year or so? I loved it. Everything was entertaining and made sense. In that regard it honestly felt more like an NXT Takeover than a WWE PPV (which might just be the new writing staff).

Love the new tag team belts. But how weird is it that Rhyno is a WWE champion in 2016?

And good for AJ! He's been one of my favorites since I first saw him tag with Air Paris in WCW. Such an awesome career and a generational talent able to get over any and everywhere.

15 minutes ago, EVA said:

Given the roll that AJ is on and the reaction to the Summerslam match, they're fools if they don't run with AJ/Cena on top for the belt at Wrestlemania.

But then don't you have to put Cena over? I mean, yeah, I guess.

15 minutes ago, EVA said:

Given the roll that AJ is on and the reaction to the Summerslam match, they're fools if they don't run with AJ/Cena on top for the belt at Wrestlemania.

Nope.

AJ Styles should be the kryptonite that finally gets one over on Cena. John shouldn't beat him for years and years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Nope.

AJ Styles should be the kryptonite that finally gets one over on Cena. John shouldn't beat him for years and years.

"Should" has very little relevance to WWE booking.  Surely we all know that by now.

Cena is beating him when he comes back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

He has always been one but the IWC has this raging boner for high spots and suicide maneuvers as if that is directly proportional to workrate.

Miz has always been a great worker.  People never appreciated his style until Bryan mouthed off at him.  

He may not do the high spots but he can wrestle with the best of them. 

I had him pegged as one as far back as the team with Morrison, which could have been one of the all-time greats if they stuck around longer. 

• Like 1

THAT was a fun PPV.  I really enjoyed it.  Yes, the Bray v. Kane stuff wasn't really my thing but I loved everything else.  All the important matches were given plenty of time and I thought they all delivered.  AJ is a freakin' God of the squared circle. That women's match was bananas. I really liked Miz and Dolph too with an exceptional finishing sequence.

Two thumbs way up.

Everything on this show was amazing!!! Perfect everything.

I'm listening to Bryan and Vinny (and Tom Lawler) pick it apart right now and trash it. Sometimes I hate them sooo much. hate hate hate.

I mean even Carmella and Mojo looked good! Uso's were a brand new team. Miz was a boss. Perfect women's match. Slater got a big moment. AJ and Dean were great. Alexa Bliss was so hot I actually steamed a plate of broccoli on top of the TV.

• Like 1

I loved the hell out of Slater winning. Of course I can't stand The Uso's, but Slater winning was such a great moment. YO BEULAH, WE GETTIN A DOUBLE WIDE BEY BAY!!!

Miz/Ziggler turned into a way better match than I was expecting. Miz going all out to prove he's a better wrestler than Daniel Bryan might be the best angle of the year if they just keep running with it.The internet might explode if he eventually takes the Yes lock as a finisher. Bryan looked so legit pissed after that "I want to renegotiate my contract" bit backstage. Maryse....oh, God bless her. She is the new baby doll and I love it.

AJ/Ambrose was great. The crowd was not into it which was weird (or they were all for AJ and were booing Ambrose). I loved Mauro's moral outrage at how AJ tainted his legacy with how he won the WWE title. As if some of his other title wins weren't so dubious. Ambrose needs a make over. I'd love for him to ditch the street fighter look and go back to his wrestler look again. He just needs to freshen up the look. He's done all he can with it.