DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling belts, designs and reigns.

I have a confession to make.  I...actually liked the spinner belts.  I liked it a lot more back then, but still have a soft spot for them.

That said, it was definitely time to trash them when they did and I'm all for regular belts that don't spin.  Except for the NJ US belt which is one helluva eyesore.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

wpxkefr.png

Rex Andrews, the Reality Of Wrestling Texas Champion.

He's got The Glow. 

Also about the US belts mixing in the flag,  always makes it look like one of those popsicles. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2017 at 0:36 PM, The Iron Yuppie said:

I love that the original spinner belt said "Word Life" on the main plate. 

us-spinner-belt-0.jpg

Look at that monstrosity and ask yourself: How the FUCK was John Cena not a heel at the time?! 

Even on the belt, they had to put (TM) after his name.  FFS

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, the whole point of the Cena belts was for branding and for merch sales.  (I hear the Cena WWE title spinner belt is *still* selling relatively well, despite being out of circulation for nearly three years now.  Never underestimate the power of wrestling fans with disposable income.)

• Like 1

On 5/19/2017 at 11:37 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

Well, the whole point of the Cena belts was for branding and for merch sales.  (I hear the Cena WWE title spinner belt is *still* selling relatively well, despite being out of circulation for nearly three years now.  Never underestimate the power of wrestling fans with disposable income.)

One of the last live shows I went to was in the Cena Spinner belt era and damn near a third of the crowd had them. 

• Like 1

Just now, happjack said:

One of the last live shows I went to was in the Cena Spinner belt era and damn near a third of the crowd had them. 

And those things are like $350 a pop!  It was a license to print money for WWE - no wonder they dragged their feet in switching it out.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2017 at 11:20 PM, The Green Meanie said:

That's pretty ugly.

qfvPuGA.jpg

Ugh at another NJPW Championship belt and how this looks.

NJPW didn't get the NJPW Intercontinental Championship right first time:

IWGP_Intercontinental_Championship.jpeg

NJPW 100% nailed the second attempt:

THE-NEW-BEGINNING-Hiroshima-.flv_0125655

On 17/05/2017 at 6:26 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I have a confession to make.  I...actually liked the spinner belts.  I liked it a lot more back then, but still have a soft spot for them.

That said, it was definitely time to trash them when they did and I'm all for regular belts that don't spin.  Except for the NJ US belt which is one helluva eyesore.

I liked the shape of the WWE Championship spinner plates, the layered plates, the gold patterning with jewelled trim. Wasn't keen on the spinner and champ on the main plate, needs champion on it. WWE stoped the spinning logo at No Mercy 2007 I believe? John Cena had to vacate the title due to injury so the title changed hands to Orton, Triple H and back to Orton on said show.

11 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

And those things are like $350 a pop!  It was a license to print money for WWE - no wonder they dragged their feet in switching it out.

Damn, when I was a kid I was satisfied with a foam WWF title....

• Like 3

The only replica belt I ever had was the ECW TV title; the Taz, Bigelow, RVD version. I bought it for $200 in 2001 and sold it for $100 in 2010. 

My grandmother bought me one of the foam belts from HSN for like $5 when I was a kid.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Cardboard belts were my main thing as a kid. I dunno how many Pepsi 24 pack boxes I used to make the old Reggie Parks belts out of, but it was worth it. 

Fuck, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. :)  I think I made every single WWE and WCW championship out of cardboard and packing tape at some point (my father worked at a shipping company, so I had tons of both laying around).

I thought for sure I'd end up buying more belts off of Dave Millican but the turnaround time and money involved is a bit much.  Plus I'm married now - she tolerates enough as it is. :)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Already covered in the Smackdown thread:

On 12/13/2017 at 7:14 AM, The Green Meanie said:

Something that flew under everyone's radar: AJ debuted a new WWE Championship belt tonight. The new version has a black stripe, 3D sideplates, a smaller gap between the side plates and bars and the belt tooling now matches the Universal Championship.

me91ysm.jpg

gySSuqU.jpg

Personally, I don't care for the change. I get why they had to change the red stripe as that couldn't be on the blue show, but black doesn't really work in this case. Granted the logos on the two belts now match, but eh....

• Like 1

I'm just still not sold on the basic design. They are using it for four different titles now, and I just still don't much like it.

Still better than the undisputed/early brand split belt though. God I hated that so much I embraced the spinner.

• Like 1