DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling belts, designs and reigns.

There's a fine line between worn treasures with history, and looking like you just remembered your belt existed after it's been sitting in a garage for 10 years.  

tumblr_mw1x1ihH3D1st2unoo1_r1_500.png

This version of the IC belt is less than 10 years old, take a bottle of polish and some leather cleaner to it for Rhylor's sake.  Take some fucking pride in your championship.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

13-14 years ago, when I used to go to CZW shows on a fairly regular basis, I always harbored hopes of trying to con my way backstage, where I'd grab the King of the Death Match title belt when no one was looking, stuff it into a FedEx box I had in the trunk of my car, and mail it to the Big Japan Pro Wrestling office address that was listed on Great Hisa's title history website before anyone realized it was missing.

• Like 1

- According to those "Observer Flashbacks" that S. Keith is doing right now, the story behind Hennig wearing the tag title belt when he won the IC title tourny in 1990 is because Warrior paid for his own IC title belts with the different colored straps, so he owned those and took care of them on his own, and when it came time for the TV taping and the tourny final, the production crew simply forgot to grab the IC title belt out of the warehouse when they were loading up the ring crew truck and didn't realize the title belt was back in Stamford until a few hours before the match, so they had to substitute a tag belt for that one night.

- I remember on two different occasions, the guy behind J-Mar Belts went on RSPW and bitched and moaned about how he hated title belts with multiple side plates, and wanted to only make title belts with two side plates (ala the WCW U.S., Tag, and Cruiserweight belts he made) instead of four, and WWF would constantly overrule him and insist he put four side plates on each belt he made.  It ended up being one of many reasons why WWF went back to Dave Millican eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerome Miller said:

- I remember on two different occasions, the guy behind J-Mar Belts went on RSPW and bitched and moaned about how he hated title belts with multiple side plates, and wanted to only make title belts with two side plates (ala the WCW U.S., Tag, and Cruiserweight belts he made) instead of four, and WWF would constantly overrule him and insist he put four side plates on each belt he made.  It ended up being one of many reasons why WWF went back to Dave Millican eventually.

I've heard that too (that and J-Mar is apparently a tremendous cunt to deal with to begin with, as his head got super-big when the WWF started getting belts through him, to the point he took way too many orders and STILL apparently has years of back-orders to get to).  It doesn't matter what HE personally likes to make when the customer is, well, the WWF.

As I've noted, I had a belt made through Dave Millican and he was an utter joy to deal with.  I wish I had more disposable income right now because I'd totally get more made just to have them.

Re: the IWGP Intercontinental title, I thought the deal was that they didn't bother getting a white strap actually made, they just painted the old black strap, which is why the black is showing through now.  (To be honest, non-black belts are very hard to keep the right color - the ECCW title had a red strap that bled out so badly that they just releathered it this year.)

2 hours ago, Contract Release said:

Listening to the 'Between The Sheets' podcast, they mention that Flair had a 'facsimilie'/knockoff belt that he used for a few WWF shows before just using a tag title belt, anyone got any good photos of that?

VegasBG.jpg

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Ugh, that Mid South belt is the epitome of style-less. Looks like something my dad could make in the shipyard

The guy on the sideplates is holding a different belt, to boot.  Why would I want to win the North American title if the guy on the belt himself is holding a different title?

• Like 2

Well, if you're North American Champion, technically you're the National champion of the the USA, and also the national champion of Canada. So the left plate is the US title and the right plate is the Canadian title, the centre plate is the North American Continental title, and the whole thing is like a mini Triple Crown.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2016 at 11:19 AM, Technico Support said:

http://vincentcrow.weebly.com/5/post/2013/05/wwes-ace-of-belts-dave-millicans-10-favorite-championship-titles.html

I posted just as @The Green Meanie posted.  So I've heard Denver, Wisconsin, and Minnesota as the source for the belt.

Bockwinkel himself told me it was made in the Colorado State Penitentiary.

On 8/31/2016 at 1:38 PM, Web Conn said:

one of the worst championshipos by far

WCW_Championship_zpsbxpk03e9.jpeg

No it's not. It only looks cheap because since Flair took Big Goldy to the WWF, WCW had to quickly get ahold of another belt. Dusty had trophy shop plates slapped on his PWF belt. Underneath the trophy shop plates it's actually a very nice belt.

On 8/31/2016 at 6:24 PM, The Green Meanie said:

That's known as the Block Big Eagle (as opposed to the regular Big Eagle that had the scratch logo.) The Block Big Eagle was also the one given to Arnold on Smackdown.

Yup, that was the Western States Heritage Title. Plates were slapped over the words Western and renditions of the Western United States.

Uh, no it wasn't. One, the Western States belt didn't have a globe on it. Two, the Western States belt is sitting in Larry Zbyszko's closet. This is Dusty's PWF belt.

On 8/31/2016 at 7:25 PM, AxB said:

The Tag Team belt comes into the story where, after Flair showed up on WWF TV with the Big Gold NWA Championship, WCW sent them a cease and desist on their copyrighted belt design. So they started having Flair come out with one of the Tag belts and blurring it out on telly.

That's funny, Crumrine, and not the NWA or WCW owns the copyright on that design. What Flair carried around after selling Big Goldy to WCW wasn't a tag belt. It was a tag style, but had three stones where the banner is that says "tag team"

On 9/1/2016 at 7:40 AM, Technico Support said:

I was trying to find a pic of Flair on TV with the blurred tag belt but all I can find are pre-blur photos, which are also great:

a6vj-795912.jpg

EDIT: GAH, beaten to it so I'll just leave this here: nice article about the history of the big gold belt

B.S., as if Nelson had $20,000 laying around. And where would he use this belt? He was working for Crockett, do you actually think he'd show up on tv and claim to be world champion?