DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling belts, designs and reigns.

Have to see which version of that belt they revive, the old broken one or the new copy Ibushi and Naito wore. Also if the nameplates stay or be blank. And is it sticking around or will it be only just around during G1 to WK yearly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Have to see which version of that belt they revive, the old broken one or the new copy Ibushi and Naito wore. Also if the nameplates stay or be blank. And is it sticking around or will it be only just around during G1 to WK yearly.

New copy. Rotten that NJPW let the IWGP Heavyweight Championship get into that state of disrepair.

Stay.

Full time hopefully.

On 10/20/2021 at 11:05 AM, Mister TV said:

When WCW got the Big Gold back it was first the re-born NWA title belt since WCW had rejoined the NWA. The "new" NWA World Championship was pretty much a WCW-New Japan thing, the other NWA promoters wanted dates on the champion and a vote on who should be the champion, WCW said no, the NWA promoters sued WCW which [led] to the name change to the WCW International World Championship. 

Was it ever officially the "WCW International World Championship", though? I remember it as the "World Championship as recognized by WCW International", which is an even more ridiculous mouthful.

13 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, before it got unified into the WCW title, it was offically being called the WCW International World Championship.

Interesting. I remember ring announcers at least using the full phrase "World Championship as recognized by WCW International", but then, human memory is faulty. And a Google video search didn't turn up any clips where the audio was good enough for the match introduction to be comprehensible. (Well, not in the first page or so anyway.)

There's some stuff on the Peacock that has the announcments (it's more toward the end.  I'm about 99% sure the Sting/Flair unification match from Clash whatever it was in 95 before Hogan showed up and fucked everything up had that announcment.

The belt itself did go through several names after the NWA withdraw.

From f4wonline.com:

okada_7.jpg

In a post-G1 Climax 31 press conference last week, Kazuchika Okada declared his intention to bring back the IWGP Heavyweight Championship as a symbol of his tournament win. 

Today at NJPW's Road to Power Struggle event in Korakuen Hall, he did just that. 

When entering for his six-man tag team match at today's show, Okada carried what is commonly referred to as the v4 IWGP Heavyweight Championship, a title that was retired earlier this year after it was unified with the IWGP Intercontinental title and the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship was created. 

Traditionally, the G1 Climax winner carries a briefcase with a contract inside guaranteeing a title match at Wrestle Kingdom. At the press conference, Okada lobbied NJPW Chairman Naoki Sugabayashi to be allowed to carry the belt rather than the case. 

"...I won the G1, and I want to face [Kota]Ibushi again, but I feel there should be something concrete to represent that," said Okada. "I’m not a champion, and I don’t have anything to put up. The IWGP Heavyweight Championship that Ibushi retired though… I’m not saying that people should call me the ‘X-ieth Heavyweight Champion’ or anything, but I want to hold that belt, until Ibushi gets back."

Since the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship's inception, Okada has made clear that he is not a fan of the title. In an interview on NJPW World in June, Okada called the title a "mistake" and referring to the run of illness and injuries that have befallen the company this year as the "IWGP Curse."

Okada won the G1 Climax 31 finals by referee stoppage after Kota Ibushi suffered a shoulder injury, cutting their main event match short. 

Okada is set to defend his Wrestle Kingdom title shot against Tama Tonga at NJPW Power Struggle on Saturday, November 6

---

The bolded is my doing. Kazuchika Okada is spot on.

Having a belt is better than the briefcase. It's a unsanctioned title like Will's World. I guess you could call both it the G-1 Championship and 4th Gen IWGP HW. Anyway Okada plans to keep wearing it post WK.

FCdyx0nUUAI4O0P.jpg

It's the newer one introduced in 2019.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1