DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling belts, designs and reigns.

I was watching some IWTV from earlier in the year and got a look at the New South promotion's belt.  Holy fuck look at this thing.  Some beltmaker looked at the huge old AWA belt and said, "hold my beer."

tumblr_p0u1ygiZiA1rg89a6o1_640.jpg

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I was watching some IWTV from earlier in the year and got a look at the New South promotion's belt.  Holy fuck look at this thing.  Some beltmaker looked at the huge old AWA belt and said, "hold my beer."

tumblr_p0u1ygiZiA1rg89a6o1_640.jpg

Cabana Man Dan is a former New South Champion. He's the same size as Marko Stunt, so you can imagine what the belt looked like on him.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, AxB said:

Cabana Man Dan is a former New South Champion. He's the same size as Marko Stunt, so you can imagine what the belt looked like on him.

Sometimes, a champion ducks challengers, and is criticized for "hiding behind the belt."  This is one belt where you could say that literally.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 6/29/2021 at 3:30 AM, AxB said:

In that case he probably could have literally hide behind his title if he wanted to!

And Technico Support beats me to the punch, but yeah that's the first thing I thought of, too!

Edited by Shartnado
Technico got there first!
  • Haha 2

NLAw&pid=ImgRaw

E5lS9bmWQAAQ7nT?format=jpg&name=large

ab022-16181977667827-800.jpg

When the WWE Universal Championship was announced five years ago, I naively hoped it would be a better design than the WWE Championship but it was the same on a different coloured strap (I prefer the blue to the red).

The lineage is so weird from Finn Balor becoming the first champion at SummerSlam 2016 to vacating it 24 hours after getting injured in that match, Kevin Owens wins the vacant title. Brock Lesnar holds it for 504 days, the longest single reign, Goldberg is a two time champion to Roman's current Reign(s), by far the best in the belt's history.

Edited by The Natural

What are your best/worst belt champions and reigns ever? Here are mine:

Kazuchika Okada's two years in his fourth reign as IWGP Heavyweight Champion for match quality especially vs. Kenny Omega at Wrestle Kingdom 11/Dominion 2018 and vs. Katsuyori Shibata at Sakura Genesis 2017. All *****. The longest reign in the history of the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, 720 days and most title defences with V12.

Kenta Kobashi Global Honoured Crown title run lasting two years in Pro Wrestling NOAH with memorable defenses against Yoshihiro Takayama, Jun Akiyama, Akira Taue and Minoru Suzuki. Takayama and Akiyama the standouts.

Samoa Joe’s ROH Championship reign turned into a world title, the length of the reign, 21 months unheard of in the era, the two hour long draws with CM Punk, the 2004 trilogy between them and elevating an independent belt to become one of the most important in the world.

Bryan Danielson’s ROH World Title reign, 15 months and the quality of the defenses against Roderick Strong, Nigel McGuinness, Samoa Joe, Lance Storm and KENTA. Danielson vs. KENTA especially is *****. Still the greatest reign in the belt’s history. Best Wrestler in the World.

Bret Hart’s second WWF Championship win growing up as a fan of wrestling and the Hitman with matches against Owen Hart, Bob Backlund, 123 Kid and Diesel.

John Cena holding the WWE Championship for a year in September 2006-October 2007, the first since Randy Savage in March 1988-April 1989. Defended against Umaga in a ***** Last Man Standing match, Shawn Michaels, The Great Khali, Bobby Lashley and Randy Orton.

Now the worst:

Jinder Mahal. The worst WWE Champion of all time and that says it all.

Triple H’s World Heavyweight Title reign of terror lasting nine months in 2003 feeling even longer. An all time low against Scott Steiner at Royal Rumble 2003.

Jeff Jarrett’s NWA World Heavyweight Title runs in TNA. All dragged and bored.

Vince fucking Russo as WCW World Heavyweight Champion. Nuff said.

David Arquette, an actor wins the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

Kevin Nash beats Goldberg for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and ends Goldberg’s Streak at Starrcade 1998. Drops this to Hogan bumping to a fingerpoke to the chest on Monday Nitro. Fuck them.

Edited by The Natural

I think Danielson's 2005-2006 run as ROH Champion is still my favourite of all time, he had so many good matches in that run and his character was amazing after becoming an arrogant prick. Very fond memories of rewatching all those DVDs. So many good matches agains Nigel, Kenta, Gibson, Shelley, Roderick, it's crazy.

Speaking of Roderick Strong, had a pretty amazing PWG Title run too.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2