DVDVR Message Board

OH MY GOD. (Raw - 29 August 2016)

Dolfan in NYC

I only watched the main event tonight. And, uhm, that was insane. That was a match that you could show to people who have never watched wrestling and get them hooked. What awesome stuff.

I loved how Big Cass looked like he belonged in there. The face-offs he had with Roman were so great. They tagged the hell out of each other. I love Cass tossing boots like Cesaro throws his forearm. He was also a great "first one out" because he's still new and was overwhelmed at the end -- he's not quite there yet, but get ready because he'll be there eventually.

Everyone else was golden. I loved KO being such an opportunistic scumbag constantly picking his spots. I love cocksure Rollins strutting his peacock feathers throughout.

And Roman's so great in these types of matches. He brings a ton of intensity. He's really great at expressing himself facially -- he looks like a linebacker who is constantly batting down passes or blitzing a running back. He has that "the great ones see the play in advance" sort of feel when he's in something like this. The only reason he lost this match is because of HHH. (And that's how he should be booked for something like this, too.)

All-time great shock ending, too. KO's expression was wonderful. It was just this shock of disbelief as to what unfolded before him into just evil joy. I'm going to guess that HHH being the proud papa bear of NXT is the hook they'll run with for his involvement.

A+ stuff.

• Like 3

I would like to think that someone who can talk as great as Owens won't be used a Triple H puppet like Orton was in 2013 but this is Triple H we are talking about here.

Bix made a great point that I never thought of.  Right now the two WWE world champions made their names in companies know almost exclusively for their death match wrestling.  CZW with Ambrose and IWS Syndicate Wrestling with Owens.  :blink:

2 minutes ago, zev said:

Owens as face means free trips to zoos across the country to meet up with Make a Wish kids.

Oh God.  "Look, I'm trying to work with you here, kid. But you're just not giving me the energy. I think I prefer that other kid over there.  You stay here, okay.  Someone will probably pick you up. Unless no one loves you. Which, I mean, why bother even struggling anymore.  You just don't fit."

Kevin Owens, Wish Maker.

• Like 8

My guess: Roman goes back to Rusev, Rollins feuds with Triple H. He failed as his guy, and shit, maybe he hugged Steph a little too long? Spoke about how many great nights they've had? I wouldn't be shocked to see it go that way. 

Just now, steve said:

Also, this just occurred to me, that it fits in with their blurred lines deal. Brock is shooting, Miz is shooting, and now HHH is shooting.

WWE is turning into STRANGER THINGS where one like Steph and Foley and Bryan are in regular world and HHH and Miz and Brock are in upside down world.

• Like 1

KO is such a great choice to run with the belt for a while. He's so great in the ring and also knows his character perfectly. He's just such an awesome bastard.

It opens up so many feuds.

I'm guessing in the immediate aftermath of this he has to deal with Roman and/or Rollins. Then there's also the chance we could see a vindictive Jericho show up. (Please.) There's Finn's return from injury. And, of course, Sami's always there for them to Fight Forever. Sami and KO have told their story so well they could have that match once a month and it will never get old. Just two bitter enemies now and forever.

Awesome night for one of my faves.

Just now, Greggulator said:

I'm guessing in the immediate aftermath of this he has to deal with Roman and/or Rollins. Then there's also the chance we could see a vindictive Jericho show up. (Please.) There's Finn's return from injury. And, of course, Sami's always there for them to Fight Forever. Sami and KO have told their story so well they could have that match once a month and it will never get old. Just two bitter enemies now and forever.

I didn't eve think about Jericho in this. GOd I hope he becomes an obsequious Iago and toadies for Owens while secretly plotting to destroy him.

• Like 4

Pedigree for you, Seth.

Pedigree for you too, Roman.

Where's Dean? Oh, on SD facing Ziggles. Guess he's been hurt enough.

----

Who is watching the kids when Steph and Hunter are both at the show? What poor nanny has to explain the after match look of shock on Steph's face to the children after their classmates show memes of it?

• Like 4

I guarantee the reasoning is "my NXT kids". Owens is one of the originals since NXT has become a big thing.  I don't really need Hunter to come out and explain it or be all over television but I don't think he will be.  He might feud with babyface Rollins which is fine. I don't think this will be a long lasting authority type angle.  Even Steph was like "what the hell just happened?" 

Another possibility is a Hunter/Vince power struggle to play off all the backstage rumors about how they do things differently, etc..  but again I don't necessarily need to see that. 

I'm just glad Owens is champion. He was the best choice right now out of the 4. 

Also, Big Cass was definitely elevated out of this too.

6 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Yeah, I'm not getting the love for this beyond shock value. Maybe it'll lead to another dull as shit HHH match at Mania.

Owens is champ and working main events (hopefully more headlock master and less vs. Cena in nature). 

Rollins is off feuding with HHH - much as with Orton/Lesnar, it puts two uninteresting wrestlers together to keep them away from the people I want to watch. 

Between NXT, the CWC, and this angle, HHH has now made up for that dreadful 2002 where RAW was nearly unwatchable.

It's a win-win-win!

• Like 1