DVDVR Message Board

OH MY GOD. (Raw - 29 August 2016)

Dolfan in NYC

What kind of odds could you have gotten five years ago that the WWE's three world champions today would be Shinsuke Nakamura, Kevin Steen and Jon freaking Moxley?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, zev said:

24 hours ago, Matt Hardy was the odds on favorite for next year's March Madness victory.

Was.

For me it's between Matt Hardy, Kevin Owens and AJ Styles. I'd vote for Matt Hardy as the whole act was unexpected. You knew Owens and Styles would deliver the goodness.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

What kind of odds could you have gotten five years ago that the WWE's three world champions today would be Shinsuke Nakamura, Kevin Steen and Jon freaking Moxley?

Don't forget Kana/Asuka in that.

I try not to think about things like this.  It starts with the champs then I remember the relationship with Evolve.  Then I remember who's in the CWC and NXT.  And it all leads to one giant rabbit hole of "Is this really happening?!"  From there my brain explodes and my poor wife has to clean up the mess.  But yes, if we would say this would happen in 2016 even five years ago people would think we were having too much Iranian Tobacco.

EDIT:  Just noticed my reputation at this point is 666.  Thanks, guys!  I say it's time to play some hardcore metal.

• Like 3

Mick Foley, Triple H, CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler and now Kevin Owens win their first world championship on RAW. Foley and Triple H won the WWF Championship, CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler the World Heavyweight Championship. Kevin Owens the WWE Universal Championship.

Once Bryan Danielson basically got a Wrestlemania built around his beating Evolution, that should have ended my "this is so novel and unbelievable" sentiment permanently. And yet! Women's wrestling really matters, and we wouldn't know the names of perhaps its two biggest stars, as of five years ago--and oh, right, Rebecca Knox is here too. And yes, the champs are Steen, Moxley, and Nakamura. They're going to have matches against Tyler Black, El Generico, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Prince Devitt. Several of those guys have gone over John Cena clean. The developmental territory can sell out arenas. The CWC exists. So... despite myself, I can't help but feel it's all a bit strange--but more importantly, it's (usually pretty, often very) good. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Omega said:

does anyone else think that they may have pulled a rib on KO in that he didn't know hes was going to win last night because he genuinely looked shocked at what was happening

More of a swerve than a rib. If so, it was masterfully done.

Anyone else notice that the Observer's RAW recap skipped the latter part of the match (and Cesaro's "injury")?  Mid-match, the Observer write-up skipped to the Mr. Fuji write-up.  Lol, even the Observer knows Sheamus and Cesaro are going nowhere.

33 minutes ago, Omega said:

does anyone else think that they may have pulled a rib on KO in that he didn't know hes was going to win last night because he genuinely looked shocked at what was happening

That crossed my mind since KO did look genuinely surprised. That look of shock made the moment that much better.

I'm glad to know Cesaro wasn't injured on the ringpost because it looked really bad. 

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Kevin Owens is a fantastic rassling actor though.

He seriously is.  As far as the Rock in the wrestling environment, I could see Owens filling that roll (without the Hollywood distractions).

Just think.... right now, Sami Zayn is doing donuts in a field, screaming "It could have been me" over and over at the windshield.  Well, that, and weeping some.

He coulda been huge if not for the shoulder injury.  That crowd was molten for him.  Now he'll probably need to depend on Owens to get him out of the shuffle.

(Of course, they coulda just put him on Smackdown, where there's room for him.  But, nope.)

Poor, poor little Canadian.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Now he'll probably need to depend on Owens to get him out of the shuffle.

At least that's a pretty safe bet. No way they won't go back to that well if Owens holds the belt for a while, possibly even at Mania. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I think there's a nonzero chance KO gets a real run here. There are lots of good matches for him, and Sami or (to a lesser extent) a returning Finn winning the Rumble makes for a compelling Mania match. Hopefully they just keep the Rollins/HHH feud personal and not part of a backstage power struggle angle that overshadows the belt.

To think I was sad after Summer Slam that I wouldn't get to see Sasha with the belt next week. Now I get to see Kevin freaking Owens with the belt (and Bayley). Ticket purchase vindicated.

6 hours ago, rzombie1988 said:

Cornette was the one who was pushing Owens. His issue was that Owens wouldn't lose weight, which increased his chance of injury. I'm sure Cornette is happy for him and agrees that he can be star.

Jim Cornette hasn't been happy for anyone since '76.

• Like 5