DVDVR Message Board

OH MY GOD. (Raw - 29 August 2016)

Dolfan in NYC

@Burgundy LaRue One more post, and then I promise that I'll let it go. Your argument is that anyone who is given the championship must deserve it. Why? Because if they didn't deserve it, they wouldn't have been given the championship! That's not a logical argument; it's just circular reasoning. You're begging the question here. 

In fact, promoters can make mistakes. They can give titles to someone who really isn't ready for it or who isn't very good or who isn't really over by any metric. There are historical examples of this that we can evaluate! There are not only extreme examples like David Arquette, but there are guys who didn't draw and weren't over who have been given important titles as well. Most of the titleholders in the Russo area probably shouldn't have been around the championship. A guy like Jeff Jarrett, for example, wasn't over, couldn't draw, and wasn't a good enough worker to make up for either of those things. He's not egregiously undeserving, but he's not exactly a deserving choice (and you could probably make this argument for Kevin Nash, and you could DEFINITELY make it for Vince Russo himself). 

So it's not that we disagree so much as that your very premise for hating that chant is illogical and without reason.

When JeriKO splits, Jericho's go to promo line about beating Austin and the Rock in the same night will be immediately trumped by Owens saying he beat Cass, Reigns, and Rollins in the same match. I'm looking forward to that.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just that abysmal series with Ziggler that really soured me on him, but I haven't enjoyed Owens' in-ring work - outside of his matches with Sami Zayn - in quite a while. 

I'm still happy to see him as champion over anyone else in that match though.

Cool moment for Owens for sure. As a Triple H fan, I loved the finish and am glad to see him back for more matches. Definitely did not expect any of that. Still kind of hoping this doesn't just suddenly randomly turn Rollins face as his character just hasn't really showed any signs of that. Jericho/Neville and Sheamus/Cesaro were pretty good as well

Triple H seemed to be in full-on asshole mode the whole way through. Even the way he forcefully raised Owens' arm for him was all about getting Owens to appreciate just what he had did for him. "Soak it in, tubby! Appreciate what your stepdaddy did for you!" I say let Smackdown have the more traditional title trajectory for its World championship and let RAW use their bullshit Universal Title (which wasn't even a thing until sixteen days ago) as more of a prop to further feuds and kill time; at least until Survivor Series or so. I mean Reigns chasing Rollins until Survivor Series or vice versa wasn't going to do anybody any favors; least of all the damned viewers. What's most fitting in all of this is I seem to remember Jericho only gained his token reign as the first Undisputed Champion because dudes Rock and Austin were feuding with at the time cost them their matches against Jericho gift-wrapping wins for him during the final two rounds of that Title Tournament. Only Jericho as the first Undisputed Champion felt much more forced and contrived to make a guy seem like a much bigger deal than he was (considering he was going to get royally shit on at WrestleMania in a self-serving angle that improved nobody's stock) whereas last night's deal seemed much more organic and set several things in motion at once.

8 hours ago, CastleVania Rey said:

Did Braun Strowman (music by Dee Bradley Baker) beat up AKI Man? Now we'll never get any new AKI Corporation WWE games. :(

Just wait until his evil twin shows up. AKI Man vs. THQ Man could be the new Sin Cara Azul vs. Sin Cara Negro...double dragon screws all around...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

So it's not that we disagree so much as that your very premise for hating that chant is illogical and without reason.

10 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Guess you told me.  Whatever will I do with this information that essentially devalues my opinion?

You Deserve Each Other! You Deserve Each Other!

• Like 2

I know I'm in the minority but I think Owens as champ is going to get boring quick, especially with Hunter involved. Bright side is at least AJ is most likely getting the WWE title at Backlash so I'll have a champion I enjoy watching. Though I hope WWE knows how played out the Authority angle is and have Owens drop it to any other midcard to top level babyface on the roster at Clash of Champions

5 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I know I'm in the minority but I think Owens as champ is going to get boring quick, especially with Hunter involved. Bright side is at least AJ is most likely getting the WWE title at Backlash so I'll have a champion I enjoy watching. Though I hope WWE knows how played out the Authority angle is and have Owens drop it to any other midcard to top level babyface on the roster at Clash of Champions

No way!

Owens holds the belt until Mania and then drops it to either Sami or the returning Balor.

Until then he can defend against Cass, Enzo and Jericho in a 4 way. Cass 1 v 1. Jericho 1 v 1 and maybe a Rollins/Reigns match as well.

8 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Owens v Jericho is going to be amazing but the "Im your best buddy, guy" stuff the leads up to it could be next level awesome.

Oh hells yeah, like I said in another thread, I can't wait for Jericho to run around and re-franchise "suck it."

Perhaps I'm being naive, but I really don't think this is an Authority angle. They get to turn Rollins face, and put him against Triple H--a match they've wanted for a long time. (I happen to think that match will be good, but I understand how both men could bring out eachother's worst tendencies, both in the buildup and the ring.) Owens will go do his own thing, independent of that. I really don't think he's going to be rendered a stooge for anyone. 

• Like 2

We also have to consider that the Sheamus-Cesaro winner will get a shot at the title.

With all the talk of Owens this, Rollins that--where does Reigns fit in?  If you have him shrug off being shafted, that would be stupid, not to mention going against the ass-kicking persona they're trying to develop for him.  I know many will say give him back to Rusev, and I wouldn't hate that.  But Rusev is already back working with Jack Swagger on Main Event/Superstars.  Reigns kicked his shit in, and Rusev still hasn't won back Lana's honor.  They need to finish that narrative, but they've seemed to have dropped it.

Another dynamic is Rollins and Owens jumped on whatever HHH was offering.  Reigns told Trips to shove off almost a year ago.

Awesome that Owens got the belt, but I don't know why anyone is arguing against the finish being garbage. I also don't know why people are assuming that this is necessarily going to be an NXT angle, because this just seems like it could easily turn into "A McMahon In Every Corner."

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

With all the talk of Owens this, Rollins that--where does Reigns fit in?  If you have him shrug off being shafted, that would be stupid, not to mention going against the ass-kicking persona they're trying to develop for him.  I know many will say give him back to Rusev, and I wouldn't hate that.  But Rusev is already back working with Jack Swagger on Main Event/Superstars.  Reigns kicked his shit in, and Rusev still hasn't won back Lana's honor.  They need to finish that narrative, but they've seemed to have dropped it.

My guess is Roman and Rollins end up being frenemies taking down Hunter and JeriKO. I figure at some point the winner of the Cesaro/Sheamus series will team with Roman/Rollins to wrestle HHH/JeriKo in a six man match (possibly Survivor Series in an elimination match)

10 hours ago, bink_winkleman said:

Oh also - It was brutal watching them help Cesaro out. He was contorted and limping and it was tough to watch.

After Balor's injury at Summerslam, I can't imagine who thought it would be a good idea for Claudio to get backdropped into the ringpost. That was uncomfortable to watch. 

3 hours ago, Valcourt said:

Owens winning is just a rib on Cornette. ;)

Cornette never said Owens wasn't talented. In fact he talked a lot about how good he was. He just wanted him to lose weight to avoid further injury, which he refused to do. I'm sure he's happy for him.