DVDVR Message Board

OH MY GOD. (Raw - 29 August 2016)

Dolfan in NYC

A couple of things on RAW that will get overlooked in all the hubbub...

-Big Cass saying Jericho writes all of KO's jokes in the opening. Perhaps a nod to the fact that Jericho has come up with a lot of lines for the various backstage skits he's in over the past few months and he fed Orton the "no enhancement needed" line as well.

-Jericho swerving Tom Phillips on "it." Poor Phil thought he had it figured out this week.

-Charlotte and Corey Graves becoming cool heel friends on commentary and having perfectly logical answers for all of Cole & Byron's questions.

-WWE's strange desire to keep running this DY vs TItus feud forever despite it getting less over by the week.

-Cesaro so badly wants off RAW that he's trying to injure himself again

-Bayley with the New Day is something that dad's will laugh at and so will their kids but for entirely different reasons.

5 minutes ago, Fallacy! said:

Followed by Foley standing there with his thumb up his ass while an anything-but-clean finish unfolded five feet away from him.

Mick Foley, the same guy who won his first world championship with a thousand people ringside and multiple instances of interference which resulted in a huge pop from the crowd and a lasting impact with television viewers.

I get it. You hated the finish, but if anything is a "let's see where this goes" situation, it's this.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Mick Foley, the same guy who won his first world championship with a thousand people ringside and multiple instances of interference which resulted in a huge pop from the crowd and a lasting impact with television viewers.

I get it. You hated the finish, but if anything is a "let's see where this goes" situation, it's this.

I know where this goes. The immediate future is a 20-minute promo on RAW next week.

TripleHRollins.jpg

HHH coming out deflated the whole thing for me. I guess it was my fault for thinking someone other than a McMahon or Helmsley was going to get put over. Owens winning a title with no history(other than being held for a day by Finn Balor) and needing HHH to take out two guys for him doesn't feel like it's that big a deal to me.

Just got back from the Toyota Center. HOLY SHIT. Owens was over like gangbusters all night long, and we exploded at that finish. It seemed really likely that he was going over, and the graphic they kept showing had him in the front, but once things got going, Rollins or Reigns felt inevitable. It was an insane moment to watch.

Bailey was also over enormously, as was New Day. Absolutely fantastic show to be in attendance at.

• Like 1

It is well established both kayfabe-wise and in reality that Foley is not physically able to interfere in situations anymore. (Mania was a rare exception.)  So what exactly was Foley supposed to do other than stand there with his thumb up his ass, so to speak? 

I'm so happy they did the right thing in the right situation, I don't care how or when they inevitably screw it up.  I had forgotten it was an elimination match when Owens pinned Cass and was about to jump out of my seat, then immediately thought "Ok, this is going to be Owens big moment and he'll get eliminated next."  When Reigns covered him, I thought that was it.  When he kicked out, I thought "Ok, maybe there is a sliver of a chance he wins, but probably not."  When HHH showed up though, that was it.  My daughter was watching with me and I told her, "Owens is going to win, just wait and see."  So great, it's been an hour and I'm not sure I've stopped smiling yet.  I can't wait for Owens and Jericho next week and to see what his first program will be as champ.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Fucking amazing.  I literally don't think I've been as shocked by a finish since maybe Brock/Taker.  And it was such the right move.  So many fresh title match-ups now:  KO/Rollins, KO/Jericho, KO/Roman, and you know we're getting an epic KO/Sami down the line if he holds on to it long enough.

Man, I watched this and all I could think of was that Colt podcast he did 4 years ago where he pretty much believed that he had blown it and he would never truly make it in wrestling because it just wasn't worth the sacrifice he was making.

And here we are. 

Not to quote myself, but seriously, this is really something you need to listen to if you haven't before.  Fuck the John Cena "Never Give Up" branding, this is a guy who pretty much had given up.  Even Colt was all "I don't know what to tell you."  And he ends up getting a break and exceeding his wildest expectations. Starts 29 minutes in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bink_winkleman said:

Oh also - It was brutal watching them help Cesaro out. He was contorted and limping and it was tough to watch.

@cesarowwe

Well... I guess I'm not working out or anything this week...

• Like 1

A thing that isn't about the title: Bayley looked like a superstar tonight. The feud that's going to result from Sasha's sudden but inevitable betrayal will be massive, PPV main even level stuff. 

A thing that is: I don't care about the circumstances for now. I'm thrilled for Owens, and expect he can get himself (even more) over. 

I'm just... really happy with wrestling, right now, though. But optimism isn't the worst thing.

1 minute ago, Beech27 said:

A thing that isn't about the title: Bailey looked like a superstar tonight. Sasha's sudden but inevitable betrayal, and subsequent feud, are gonna be fire.

And Sasha managed to get through an interview tonight without propelling her own neck into the ground!

• Like 1

I think what made this such a great show is that it was an arena full of people who just wanted to enjoy some wrestling.  Been watching a bunch of Lucha Underground this week and what makes it so great is, for the most part, it's a bunch of people who cheer the good guys, boo the bad guys and react and enjoy everything.  While tonight was like Raw run in front of the Lucha Underground temple; people just popping for big moves, booing the heels, cheering the faces and not really concerning themselves with chanting bad stuff at Roman Reigns or whatever, just cheering.  So kudos to you Houston, I wish Raw was in front of this crowd every week, it just made everything seems more fun and important.

Bayley and the New Day were beyond amazing. I know this is a dead horse, but tonight I realized how fucking creepy the "Yeah We Want Some Bailey" chants are. My wife had never heard them at all and was super weired out by all the kids doing it. I don't mean this in a concern troll way - frankly I don't give a shit and am stoked that Bailey was so over, but it was really awkward as some old fuck who can remember his older cousin sneaking Is What We Are to him when he was a little kid and the folks weren't around.

But that whole match/segment was great. Although the Gallows/Anderson/Naughty Nurse Attitude Era shit has got to go.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, piranesi said:

"Hey, buddy, this could be so big for me...you...for you...yeah."

"Thanks, friend.  Can you go get me that water now? I have an interview to do."

[grits teeth] "Yeah.  I'll get you that,....pal."

"I'm not your pal, buddy"

"I'm not your buddy, friend"

Proof wrestling fans are the heels: The crowd serenading KO with "You deserve it!" chants after winning in a match where he used several cheapshots and ducked out of to gain an unsporting advantage he eventually won after his opponent was shockingly attacked by a non-participant.