DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

11 hours ago, AxB said:

I think the idea was that Bran accidentally merged past and future Hodor's minds, so that teen Hodor experienced his own death... which sort of left him in a semi-brain dead state for the rest of his life. Or he was somehow aware all of his life since that point that at some point he had to hold the door for Bran, and he was always waiting for that to happen, even before Bran was born.

My take is similar to that last one.  It seemed like Bran was stuck in warg state, unable to wake up.  He had some awareness of what was happening, though.  He did manage to get Hodor moving initially, but was still at least partially stuck in the past yet he was doing his best to affect the present.  In trying to deal with the present situation, he 'screamed' at Hodor to hold the door.  But since he was in the past, that command -- which was much stronger than anything Bran had ever done before, given his new training and the dire situation -- ended up affecting young Hodor as well. 

It imprinted the command "hold the door" on young Hodor to the degree that that command was always on his mind from that point forward, which made it hard for him to think of much else.  He learned to push that thought to the side enough that he could serve the Starks, but he was still always thinking "hold the door".  Sort of a constant compulsion that he had to fight.

In any case, I think this shows Bran is more powerful now, probably moreso than he realized.

I wonder if the Hodor thing is just foreshadowing for something way bigger that he's going to to in the Tower.

Lemme be clear that I LOVE this show, it's an event on Sunday nights, and PPV Sundays suck for me this time of year b/c I'm watching them on Mondays and Raw on Tuesdays. But I still think the writers were gifted with something wonderful, and the show (and the dialog) does fall off a bit when they go too far off in their own direction.

I think Martin is a brilliant writer, and clearly better than the show runners, but what D+D have done when it comes to adapting doorstop books and condensing them into 10 episodes a season is legit impressive. Plus they will 100% finish the story and I am starting to believe Martin never will.  For that alone I am thankful.

I would rather have a dip in quality than nothing at all.  Not that this season has dipped all that much.  In fact, the major stories are more interesting now then they have been in seasons and I am enjoying the condensed world because we are getting Jon, Dany etc etc every episode.  Hell, Martin went an entire book without those stories and that was a super frustrating thing.

Basically I am saying that for every stupid looking Kingsmoot there is a bunch of really cool shit that I'm happy we will get to see.  I can't wait 10 more years for this story even if George can.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, elizium said:

I've pretty much made peace with the fact that the show is never going to make the Greyjoys as cool as they should be.

Note: I have not made peace with that.

Remember when they gave Asha a hot angle and had her cut an epic promo with an all-time Pump Up coach speech and then jobbed her out to Topless Ramsay 5 minutes later, burying the angle and cementing the Ironborn as Job Squad 4 Life?

And how none of that is even in the books so they actually went out of their way to bury her/them?  Especially since that was her only scene in Season 4 so they wrote the character in/brought the actress in just for that? [And especially since apparently everyone else was going to be putting Ramsay over so he didn't need a win over such a devalued opponent anyway?]

And how all this time she hasn't even had her real name because "Asha sounds too much like Osha" yet their solution makes the problem even worse because Yara sounds like and is an anagram of Arya?

Because I sure do. :(

[At least years of watching wrestling and dealing with Vince's weirdly motivated de-pushes and burials of talent I like has prepared me for making sense of when other TV shows start doing the same thing.]

• Like 1

On 5/24/2016 at 8:45 AM, tigertooth said:

My take is similar to that last one.  It seemed like Bran was stuck in warg state, unable to wake up.  He had some awareness of what was happening, though.  He did manage to get Hodor moving initially, but was still at least partially stuck in the past yet he was doing his best to affect the present.  In trying to deal with the present situation, he 'screamed' at Hodor to hold the door.  But since he was in the past, that command -- which was much stronger than anything Bran had ever done before, given his new training and the dire situation -- ended up affecting young Hodor as well. 

It imprinted the command "hold the door" on young Hodor to the degree that that command was always on his mind from that point forward, which made it hard for him to think of much else.  He learned to push that thought to the side enough that he could serve the Starks, but he was still always thinking "hold the door".  Sort of a constant compulsion that he had to fight.

In any case, I think this shows Bran is more powerful now, probably moreso than he realized.

This is a great and concise summary of what happened. 

On 5/24/2016 at 9:58 PM, Jingus said:

Yeah.  The Faceless Men used to seem to be kinda cool and different; but now they come off as just Unlikable Religious Cult #14 on a show which has been stuffed full of those.  And hey, in retrospect, if Jaqen H'ghar is such a goddamn superhuman who can accomplish seemingly anything, why the hell did he spend an entire season and a half as a prisoner?  Especially since he could have walked right out of Harrenhal at any time, he was teleporting all over that goddamn place like Jason Voorhees around Crystal Lake.  

Jaqen was one of my favorite sub-characters early on. It seemed like he was dangerous but didn't take himself too seriously. There is no fun in the current Jaqen. Lighten up! Just train Arya to be an elite assassin and smile. 

13 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Jaqen was one of my favorite sub-characters early on. It seemed like he was dangerous but didn't take himself too seriously. There is no fun in the current Jaqen. Lighten up! Just train Arya to be an elite assassin and smile. 

Yeah, the first Jaqen was great. I'm thinking this current guy, who's a total drag, is a different faceless man wearing the Jaqen face. Like he specifically wore it because he knew it would be familiar to Arya. Or maybe it's just a popular face around there. He's a good-looking guy. The faceless men fight over who gets to wear it.

• Like 2

They [the FM] are definitely making a point of having Arya's trainer(s) use the Jaqen gimmick because of her familiarity with it.

One of them died in front of her at the end of Season 5 with Jaqen's face on and they're still using the face.  They're probably trying to break her of her attachment to her "friend" Jaqen as part of the training at the same time.  Jaqen is nobody, any one of us could be Jaqen, you could be Jaqen for that matter if you were ready/truly Faceless.

It's never been the same character as Season 2.

52 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I think the show taking a peek inside the Faceless Man cult has somewhat demystified the fun enigma of the "Murder Genie" Arya meets in Harrenhal.

I just watched the scene where Jaqen #1 offers to take her to Braavos so she can become one of the Faceless Men. He runs through her kill list and says she could offer up all of those names to the Red God. Yet she got in big trouble for offing Meryn Trant. It seems she's barred from killing whoever she chooses now. Since she is no one, she should have no desire for revenge. So Jaqen #1 just flat out lied and misrepresented what this path would allow her to do?

• Like 1

Okay, I've been thinking about Jon's parentage, in lieu of everything we've seen this season, and I think I've figured it out. I'm going to put this in spoilers, for those that don't know any of Jon's parentage theories and those that don't want to be spoiled when episode 9 rolls around.

Spoiler

So, R+L+J is a total swerve, with everything we've seen from Bran this year and breadcrumbs Martin has laid out, It's pretty obvious that the right equation is B(E)+L=MBJ.

At some point, Bran is going to go back to observe what happens at the Tower of Joy. He climbs the stairs behind his father and enters the room at the top of the tower where they come across Lyanna, lounging on luxurious sheets and very much *not* pregnant. Seeing his aunt for the first time, Bran is overcome with a shameful lust for her. Already very familiar with the concept of incest in towers, Bran feels this unstoppable compulsion to relive the day he fell and immediately past-wargs into his father. Bran/Eddard leaps into the bed and totally Lannisters up the joint. However, the incest combined with the past-warging forms a powerful dark magic and Lyanna (much like Melisandre and her smoke baby before) immediately conceives and carries to term a baby, this would be Magic Baby Jon. At this point, I'm a little fuzzy as to what is going to happen. Either Lyanna dies in some sort of Revenge of the Sith manner or Bran/Eddard, overcome with shame, kills her. Either way, Bran uses his new (and now refined) Hodor-brain destroying powers to erase the memory from Eddard's mind.

The magic imbued in Jon from this unnatural (yet erotically shot) conception explains why he is able to bounce back from death so easily. What happens to Bran after this, I am unsure, but he's definitely going to give Jaime a knowing nod the next time he sees him.

So, the real equation is Bran(Eddard) + Lyanna = Magic Baby Jon.

39 minutes ago, elizium said:

Okay, I've been thinking about Jon's parentage, in lieu of everything we've seen this season, and I think I've figured it out. I'm going to put this in spoilers, for those that don't know any of Jon's parentage theories and those that don't want to be spoiled when episode 9 rolls around.

Reveal hidden contents

So, R+L+J is a total swerve, with everything we've seen from Bran this year and breadcrumbs Martin has laid out, It's pretty obvious that the right equation is B(E)+L=MBJ.

At some point, Bran is going to go back to observe what happens at the Tower of Joy. He climbs the stairs behind his father and enters the room at the top of the tower where they come across Lyanna, lounging on luxurious sheets and very much *not* pregnant. Seeing his aunt for the first time, Bran is overcome with a shameful lust for her. Already very familiar with the concept of incest in towers, Bran feels this unstoppable compulsion to relive the day he fell and immediately past-wargs into his father. Bran/Eddard leaps into the bed and totally Lannisters up the joint. However, the incest combined with the past-warging forms a powerful dark magic and Lyanna (much like Melisandre and her smoke baby before) immediately conceives and carries to term a baby, this would be Magic Baby Jon. At this point, I'm a little fuzzy as to what is going to happen. Either Lyanna dies in some sort of Revenge of the Sith manner or Bran/Eddard, overcome with shame, kills her. Either way, Bran uses his new (and now refined) Hodor-brain destroying powers to erase the memory from Eddard's mind.

The magic imbued in Jon from this unnatural (yet erotically shot) conception explains why he is able to bounce back from death so easily. What happens to Bran after this, I am unsure, but he's definitely going to give Jaime a knowing nod the next time he sees him.

So, the real equation is Bran(Eddard) + Lyanna = Magic Baby Jon.

dumbfounded-gif.gif?gs=a

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Yeah, I think the door needs to be held on any further posts by elizium in this thread for a little while.

Well excuse me for trying to think critically. I guess my time would have been better spent combing the cast list and trying to find someone who had a walk role on an episode of The Rockford Files 40 years ago.

54 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Sadly no one. but the guy who directed "The Door" had a small part in a Columbo (as a guy Jack Cassidy was paying to steal pages from an author's book) and a Bob Newhart.

So Nyaaaaah!

I actually marked out when I saw Jack Bender was directing this episode, but that's the Lost fanatic in me.