DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I'm a mark for weird time loop stuff apparently.  That was a pretty powerful ending on a emotional level, but the implication that Bran can alter stuff in the past is big.

Jon is sort of along for the ride right now, but I expect that to change rather quickly. Sansa in control and playing the game is interesting, but you have to imagine a few harsh lessons are coming down the pipe.

All the Euron stuff was solid. I'm digging the actor so far.

34 minutes ago, Jrag said:

All the Euron stuff was solid. I'm digging the actor so far.

I do like that his first act as King was to lose his entire fleet. 

And his 2nd was an order to build a new fleet. 

A fleet which he will presumably waste trying to find and fight with his old fleet rather than anything actually important because he kind of seems like a dipshit to me.

Hated seeing Varys owned and put in his place by a Red witch like some rando old pathetic adviser and really hate the idea of another ruler coopted and duped by religion. 

I also loved that any time Theon says anything to anyone the response is going to be "That sounds like something someone without a dick would say." Followed by "HHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!"

- That uppercut on Arya was pretty funny.

- Those actors are pretty great too.  I'm kind of hoping Ayra tells the faceless to fuck right off and WIlhelm Meister's off with that troupe to bring death wherever they travel.

• Like 2

CALLED IT here on these very boards about Bran altering the past. Pay me. 

Agree Varys getting owned by "Those tits aren't even real...prolly like 400 years old" was kinda lame.

Excellent episode! I'll take shit extended  comedic misinterpretations of King's Landing over Ramsay and the goddamn Sparrow any day! Haven't seen Extreme Rules yet but hoping they were absent because someone suplexed the two of their wack ass boring characters through some fucking swords.

4 hours ago, piranesi said:

I really wish that before diving into that pile of zombies Summer had turned and whispered "Witness me."

Or maybe there could have been some other fairy-thing-whatever-the-hell-they-are who was named Gorman, and they were both in the tunnel and she says "You always were an asshole!" and they both hug her grenade.  

Other thoughts: 

-So, the fey people have grenades, and... wait, that's not a grenade, that's a Gungan Boomer!  Seriously, that's the exact same bullshit that Jar Jar was hurling at robots in The Phantom Menace.  EXACT same color and shape and size and everything.  

-I don't mind Varys being owned (which is a rare occasion anyway), because the whole gimmick of the Red Witches is while their faith's dogma may be bullshit, their magical powers are completely real.  Somehow she knew something which was impossible to know; and if there's anything which can throw Varys off his game, it's having someone else be more informed than he is.  

-Was that massive closeup of a dick in our face strictly necessary?  I mean, I recently marathoned through all of Oz for the first time, and even on THAT show I don't think we ever got THAT close an examination of someone's genitals.  Dude was practically teabagging the lens.  

-So hey, Macguffin Von Sydow, ya think you could've mentioned "and by the way, don't ever let a White Walker touch you, because of these specific reasons" to Bran?  And why the hell did they both go BACK into their stupid trance world, right as doom was approaching?  The entire situation would've been avoided if they'd just gotten out of there ten minutes earlier.  

-And was the entire zombie army, like, waiting right next door?  (Zombies which now make the exact same snarling sound effects as the ones on Walking Dead, which is goddamned distracting.)  It felt as if they got there within half an hour.  In fact, the show has recently been terrible about letting people teleport all over Westeros in the blink of an eye, like Littlefinger somehow going from the Vale to the Wall seemingly overnight.  

-I appreciate trying to do something appropriately epic with Hodor there, but they could have said the phrase "hold the door" perhaps fifty or sixty less times in a row than they did.  WE GET IT ALREADY.  It actually killed my appreciation of that moment, felt like Bruce Willis's finish in Armageddon where you're saying "okay, it's sad and shit, but... get on with it".  

-Aside from the very end, this whole season has been one long string of babyface victories on a show which really doesn't do that sort of thing.  The only shocking deaths have been stuff like "Dornish royalty whose names you don't remember" and "Roose's wife and kid whose names you don't remember".  Otherwise, we've been getting a whole lot of long-awaited reunions and heroic badassery and Fuck Yeah moments... unless you're a direwolf, of course.  The direwolves are pretty much taking it right in the ass, here in season 6.  

-So, Brienne is being sent to Riverrun.  Book-readers, think we might FINALLY see her bump into a certain character which the show has strangely not used at all?  

No-selling my #holdthedoor from like 12 hrs ago eh? Cunts

4 hours ago, EVA said:
4 hours ago, EVA said:

It must be eating GRRM alive that the show beat him to the punch on that Hodor reveal.

idk why this is a quote box in a quote box...but whatever. I doubt it, I mean, he did come up with the shit.  However, if it does eat him up, im sure he has fat stacks of cash to dry his tears with

1 hour ago, Jingus said:

-Was that massive closeup of a dick in our face strictly necessary?  

Probably,i dont know.  Dude was coming to terms with his VD, young guy with his whole life ahead of him took down in his prime by a thot.  

1 hour ago, Jingus said:

-So hey, Macguffin Von Sydow, ya think you could've mentioned "and by the way, don't ever let a White Walker touch you, because of these specific reasons" to Bran?  And why the hell did they both go BACK into their stupid trance world, right as doom was approaching?  The entire situation would've been avoided if they'd just gotten out of there ten minutes earlier.  

Why would he have mentioned that? the old fuck has been in there with him through all the wargs..worgs...dream things.  Fuckboi Bran did that shit solo, got caught and everybody dies.  They both went back so the old fuck could impart knowledge into him, or turn Bran into the 3 eyed raven or some shit. 

1 hour ago, Jingus said:

I double clicked quote apparently, idk

• Like 1

Who says bran can alter the past?  That was obviously meant to happen... Hodor wasnt cutting promos on anyone from season 1 on up, Hodor has always Hodor'ed.  Its 6am here, and ive had 5 hours of sleep since friday night/saturday morning, so excuse me if im not able to neil degrasse tyson some space/time shit.    I know there's a point I was trying to make, but I lost it....goddamn marijuana.

Like...maybe the voices rhaygon (I cant spell his fucking name right now, wtf?) Was hearing that was telling him to "burn them all"was the old raven dude trying to warn him how to defeat the white walkers, but it split his mind like how bran fucked hodors shit up...I dont think its that simple though.  

I think I should have left the last paragraph out. But fuckit im going to sleep, I just confused myself

I honestly wasn't sure, did Bran somehow possess Hodor in two different times at once, or did Hodor himself warg into his future self and save Bran, sacrificing decades of his life for one moment of saving the world?

I do highly disagree that it was said too many times, i thought it built beautifully to the tragic end. Hold the door

• Like 1

What is most unsettling to me is that i don't think Hodor was choosing to sacrifice himself.  He was terrified and I think wanted to run away but Bran was controlling his body.  He knew what was going to happen once the situation kicked in but he was trapped in a body being controlled by someone else while being fully aware of what was happening.

He may have died in a greater state of helpless panic than any other person on the show.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jingus said:

-Aside from the very end, this whole season has been one long string of babyface victories on a show which really doesn't do that sort of thing.  The only shocking deaths have been stuff like "Dornish royalty whose names you don't remember" and "Roose's wife and kid whose names you don't remember".  Otherwise, we've been getting a whole lot of long-awaited reunions and heroic badassery and Fuck Yeah moments... unless you're a direwolf, of course.  The direwolves are pretty much taking it right in the ass, here in season 6. 

I think they're giving us a sense of comfort before Ramsay absolutely fucks everybody up. It's going to be awful.

On a show where they kill babies and rape everybody, nothing gets to me more than killing the direwolves. They could have at least let Summer go out with a roar and not a whimper.

8 hours ago, Jingus said:

-Was that massive closeup of a dick in our face strictly necessary?  I mean, I recently marathoned through all of Oz for the first time, and even on THAT show I don't think we ever got THAT close an examination of someone's genitals.  Dude was practically teabagging the lens.  

Between that and Sansa talking about her rape, there was a lot of fan service (that I appreciated) going on here.

The biggest problem I have with time travel stuff is that with scenarios like this, it makes it seem like the future is already written. Willis doesn't become Hodor as a child without Bran travelling back to the past and Hodor hearing Meera from the future. I've seen some complain about how they didn't want time travel shit to rewrite the future, but that's not what we're seeing. Hodor sacrificing himself was very sad and tragic, but thinking about it deeper reveals a mess and I doubt B&W delve into how making one change in the past instantly creates a tangent universe that is different than the prime course of history. 

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

What is most unsettling to me is that i don't think Hodor was choosing to sacrifice himself.  He was terrified and I think wanted to run away but Bran was controlling his body.  He knew what was going to happen once the situation kicked in but he was trapped in a body being controlled by someone else while being fully aware of what was happening.

He may have died in a greater state of helpless panic than any other person on the show.

Also he wasn't just unwillingly sacrificed in the moment.

His entire adult life and normal existence was sacrificed 20 years ago.  Everything he could've been, not just what he actually was, was sacrificed for Bran.

And it seems Hodor got a terrifying glimpse of his future fate/helpless panic and possibly knew his destiny (and was mentally overwhelmed by it) all this time.

• Like 3

3ER, Summer, Hodor, and all(?) the COTF died just to cover Bran's escape.  Also, Jojen died just to get him there in the first place.

And in Hodor's case, he didn't just wreck his life at the end, he wrecked it all the way along.

If Bran doesn't learn how to use his powers for greater good/saving the world he's pretty much the biggest asshole in Westeros now (which takes some doing).

• Like 2

To be fair, he was a stable boy and Westeros isn't exactly known for its upwards mobility. He would've been a servant that spoke more than one word.

Jojen knew his fate before he left on the journey and chose to go anyway.

Did Ghost join Jon on his trip? Could we get three consecutive weeks of direwolf deaths? 

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

To be fair, he was a stable boy and Westeros isn't exactly known for its upwards mobility. He would've been a servant that spoke more than one word.

Jojen knew his fate before he left on the journey and chose to go anyway.

Did Ghost join Jon on his trip? Could we get three consecutive weeks of direwolf deaths? 

Seems highly possible that Hodor with his mind would have wound up being in the northern army for the Robert's Rebellion, and basically the North's version of the Mountain.

Just now, piranesi said:

There's still time for zombie Hodor to get some good kills in. He's going to be something.

Oh fuck I didn't even think about that. Fuck

• Like 1

As someone who is invested in the Stark story line and sees everything else (except for Dany but I don't really care about her story arc) on the periphery, the direwolves dropping like flies is a real kick to the nuts. When Lady was killed and when the Red Wedding happened, those felt like huge moments. Rickon's dog was killed off camera and Summer died moments before the big Hodor death which overshadowed the direwolf death. I always imagined the direwolves possibly dying in the big battle at the end of the story... not going out with a whimper. I read that they are killing them off to save on the CGI budget. If that is the only reason,that fucking sucks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

With the way his eyes cleared up at the end I almost got the feeling he was actually his old self.  A fleeting moment of clarity at the end of a 30+ year trance.