DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I want to know where Jon was going before Sansa showed up.  I guess it wasn't Winterfell. He didn't want to get anyone killed and he knew he didn't have enough man power for that mission. What's going on in his head right now..   Ramsay has forced his hand. They have to try to save Rickon at least. 

6 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

After the preview for next week, I'm gonna start taking bets that Littlefinger doesn't make it through the season before Brienne makes him a foot shorter.

I hope not.  I would hate for them to throw away the elegance of the idea that behind all the other main event players facing off in various ways is the deeper philosophical struggle between Varys and Littlefinger over the purpose of the game that I used to feel was slowly directing things.

Ultimately I think they are my two favorite characters on the show and I like the idea that everyone else is just the human avatars of their moral chess game.

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

I hope not.  I would hate for them to throw away the elegance of the idea that behind all the other main event players facing off in various ways is the deeper philosophical struggle between Varys and Littlefinger over the purpose of the game that I used to feel was slowly directing things.

Ultimately I think they are my two favorite characters on the show and I like the idea that everyone else is just the human avatars of their moral chess game.

I felt that was much more heavy handed and obvious direction the earlier seasons. It seems thats been no existent atleast for the second season now. Varys spent all last year with the Dragon Queen and didn't do much of anything. For that matter Tyrion has been largely wasted sitting around, drinking wine doing virtually nothing for the second year now. Littlefinger is seemed failed at virtually everything he tried to do last year especially in regards to Sansa Stark. 

I've never gotten the moral chess game and avatar feel as much as I've always just felt like this is Jon and Sansa's show. I'm glad Sansa is doing something finally. She's spent six seasons running away from virtually everyone. It was pretty damn cool seeing Sansa and Jon embrace since that is as close as we've come to Stark children seeing each other since the first season. I'm glad Arya wasn't in this episode. I really enjoyed her stuff with the Hound, her list, needle, etc the last two seasons have been pretty dull on that front. 

Also nobody seems to give a shit that they just battled an undead army. Jon's all like "well I'm leaving", the Wildings don't give a shit. I know its kind of the theme of the show that there is this ultimate, undead evil slowly marching its way towards civilization and no matter how many people find out about it they can't seem to stop worrying about war, and politics for even a moment to do anything about it. Still its crazy. 

I think they're trying to give the impression that everyone thinks the White Walker's can't pass the wall. Although really they should have had someone actually say that.

Tormund sure loves him some Brienne, eh?

About Ramsey's megapush: Pride comes before a fall. And he's got 2000 Wildlings marching South, plus the Knights of the Vale marching North to contned with. And the Knights of the Vale are the only army in Westeros that hasn't suffered any casualties at all since the show started, and hence are probably the strongest military force remaining (especially after what's about to happen to the Tyrell & Lannister forces when they try to fight the Faith Militant soon).

Did we miss a scene where Dany secretly soaked the entire floor with lighter fluid before the meeting?  She knocked over a couple of torches and suddenly the entire ground burst into flame.  

Also, I wonder what the Dothraki who couldn't see her in the doorway were thinking about everyone else.  "Uh, hey guys, why are we all kneeling?"  

• Like 1

The Ramsay megapush is having a Red Wedding effect on me.  As much as I want to see that mother fucker get got, there is no real douchebag heel of caliber to fill the vacuum so I kinda sorta don't want him to get his head lopped off just yet.  It will bum me out if he is killed too soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

And the Knights of the Vale are the only army in Westeros that hasn't suffered any casualties at all since the show started, and hence are probably the strongest military force remaining (especially after what's about to happen to the Tyrell & Lannister forces when they try to fight the Faith Militant soon).

The Faith Militant have no armor and fight with truncheons.  A few dozen armored soldiers would carve them up.  If you had Ramsey Snow's "20 good men" it would be over in a few minutes, but since we only have mortals at King's Landing it might take a couple of hours to have a heap of sparrows ready for the pyre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Ramsay megapush is having a Red Wedding effect on me.  As much as I want to see that mother fucker get got, there is no real douchebag heel of caliber to fill the vacuum so I kinda sorta don't want him to get his head lopped off just yet.  It will bum me out if he is killed too soon.

I kind of have the sense that he may meet his demise or become an even bigger villain by the penultimate episode or the finale. Judging by how this series has handled things in the past, I would guess episode 9 is where it comes to fruition in some way. Also, it will fulfill the Jon Snow, Winterfell in flames prophecy.

Speaking of which, the wife and I caught up on this over the weekend (with last night's episode, we watched the season 5 finale and all of this season to date), and I must say that I think last night was one of the better episodes this series has pieced together in such a long time.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that once Ramsey is dispatched, Cersei will take over as the head non-White Walker heel of the show. It reminds me of House of Cards in a way where once the season big bad is done away with do both Frank and Claire ascend to become the big bads of the series.

Just now, J.T. said:

The Faith Militant have the benefit of sheer numbers and no one wanting to be the first to raise a sword against the church.

Well then why would this be any sort of drain on an army if nobody wants to fight them?

The collected King's Guard alone would be enough to lay waste to the Faith Militant.  They have no edged weapons, no armor, no archers, no training.  They are little more than aggressive peasants, the sort that armored and trained knights have squashed all over the 7 kingdoms.

Because Plot Armor is thick and full of eyerolls.

Also, was I the only one that thought the CGI sticking Emelia Clarke's head on her double's body was really damn jarring and not good?

Oh, the Faith Militant would get their heads handed to them against any standing army in Westeros.  The story is doing its best to play the religion angle of people not wanting to challenge the authority of the church, especially since some religions grant magical powers now.

All they need is for the High Sparrow to start shooting lighting out of his fingertips.

7 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Also, was I the only one that thought the CGI sticking Emelia Clarke's head on her double's body was really damn jarring and not good?

We saw it in S1, homegirl.  No need to be modest now..

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Oh, the Faith Militant would get their heads handed to them against any standing army in Westeros.  The story is doing its best to play the religion angle of people not wanting to challenge the authority of the church, especially since some religions grant magical powers now.

All they need is for the High Sparrow to start shooting lighting out of his fingertips.

Damn you JT, now I'm really wishing that they cast Ian McDiarmad as the High Sparrow instead of Jonathan Pryce.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The Faith Militant have the benefit of sheer numbers and no one wanting to be the first to raise a sword against the church.

Unless you've been walked through the city naked and being told the whole time you're going to get raped.  

That and your 8' zombie giant being ready to go.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

We saw it in S1, homegirl.  No need to be modest now..

According to her, that was no body double.  I think it was just the amount of CGI on the screen at the time made everything look artificial.

Pryce has that voice, tho.  I would totally mark if he made Jaime burst into flames while shouting WHO ARE YOU TO CHALLENGE THE WILL OF THE TRUE GOD, KINGSLAYER~!

• Like 2

People really don't remember when Dany pulled this same trick back in the season 1 finale. Not just on here, but my friends that I just spoke with. I mean, it wasn't THAT long ago.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I think it's the politics/diplomacy of the situation too. The Faith Militant has obviously amassed a large portion of the under and servant class of King's Landing. The show and I'm guessing Martin's novels have taken painstaking much time to impress the importance of not completely disenfranchising this segment of King's Landing. What good is a king if the authority is not respected. I think that's been an overarching theme in King's Landing and it's also started to carry over into Mereen with Dany.

11 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Man, watching Ramsey's "Shove him down your throat Main Event Push" makes me know how the Reigns haters feel now.  

This week at least was actually totally fine.  Solid booking psychology.  Osha/Tonks tries to use the same move she used to beat Theon in Season 2, Ramsay has it scouted and thwarts it, because of course Theon told him everything.

It's just the fatigue of him going over with the Superflayedman Punch all the other times.  Making myself try to forget all that, I enjoyed this.

Also further imperils Rickon Morton, because now he's really alone.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

People really don't remember when Dany pulled this same trick back in the season 1 finale. Not just on here, but my friends that I just spoke with. I mean, it wasn't THAT long ago.

Good show for callback spots, all in all.

Yeah. Many callbacks.

I love that this season has such a sense of urgency. They have two seasons left, which basically amounts to one full season, but they're handling the pace of the show better than others in their final season do.

So, are we getting a triple threat match at Winterfell? Jon's crew vs Ramsey's crew vs dudes from the Veil?

19 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Also further imperils Rickon Morton, because now he's really alone.

Someone in a Carolina indy really does need to use the Rickon "Shaggydog" Morton gimmick.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

So, are we getting a triple threat match at Winterfell? Jon's crew vs Ramsey's crew vs dudes from the Veil?

As long as Theon or Jon gets to Ramsay first, I am good.