Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
elizium

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

Recommended Posts

Not having the bells ring completely changes the arc of Dany. Like, there's no reason for Jon to kill her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Starks really had the advantage in that High Lord meeting. Their uncle and first cousin all had a seat. Not to mention Gendry, Sam, Ser Daavos, and Brienne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matt D said:

I'm dubious about the Bran thing, if only because his first act is letting his sister break off the North. I bet there'd be plenty of people who wouldn't look past the fact he's a Stark and feel like all of this smells fishy. Most of Westeros is not going to go for the whole "three-eyed raven" bullshit. 

Someone else is rising up within the year (probably Yara again; they can't help themselves). 

I think most of Westeros is like this:

Person 1: Man! Did you hear that shit with the dragon lady and her dragon and army? She blew up ALL of Kings Landing! And then she was ready to come do the same everywhere else!

Person 2: No way! Then what?

Person 1: Well, remember Ned Stark's bastard son? Kills her. Not even bullshitting you.

Person 2: Shut the fuck up. So now who's king?

Person 1: You're not going to believe this...Need Stark's crippled son! I can't even make this shit up.

Person 2: For real? Daaamn. Well, at least he isn't going to ride on a dragon and kill us all. Speaking of... Where's the dragon?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm increasingly dubious about the Bran thing, if only because his first act is letting his sister break off the North. I bet there'd be plenty of people who wouldn't look past the fact he's a Stark and feel like all of this smells fishy. Most of Westeros is not going to go for the whole "three-eyed raven" bullshit. 

Someone else is rising up within the year (probably Yara again; they can't help themselves). 

So here, I think the best move is to have Jamie convince Cersei to ring the bells somehow on their way out, and then have everything else happen that way. It makes Jamie running down south less futile. The only narrative point of that was so Tyrion could talk about love, basically.

Let Yara try. They've lost the Iron Fleet, and the Greyjoys always get beat anyway. Without a dragon to force loyalty, the North is almost impossible to actually control from King's Landing if the Lord of Winterfell, Warden of the North, etc isn't loyal to the crown. It's too big, too remote, and too set in it's ways.

Although I could see Dorne wanting independence again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Let Yara try. They've lost the Iron Fleet, and the Greyjoys always get beat anyway. Without a dragon to force loyalty, the North is almost impossible to actually control from King's Landing if the Lord of Winterfell, Warden of the North, etc isn't loyal to the crown. It's too big, too remote, and too set in it's ways.

Although I could see Dorne wanting independence again.

I'd read the Timothy Zahn EU novel about Davos having to begrudgingly fight Yara.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not having the bells ring completely changes the arc of Dany. Like, there's no reason for Jon to kill her. 

I think they'd still get away with it alot better than what we had though. At least without major re-writes.

Jon sees that the men on the ground have surrendered. He then sees them (along with the women and children) all burn alive in a needless rampage by Dany. He has enough motivation but even a line from Dany in the finale about "heading back North" or something can be that moment for Jon to make his move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it was an ending that worked for the series but I still don't feel like they earned it with how bad the writing has been for the last two seasons.

Why is the lords of Westeros deciding who is king any better than a line of direct succession based on blood? Why does Sansa get to declare independence and none of the other kingdoms? Why is that not a problem and everyone just goes along with it?

Bran as king seems like a bad idea. Just saying. Do you want a computer to be king and to rule over you? Thought so. 

I think what I find most hilarious more than anything all the stupid theories and bullshit that YouTubers and theorists came up with for years about where it might go and important things that could matter...literally none of it happened and none of it mattered.

Just like with Last Jedi 😛 .

I am not and never have been a fan of the show. I mainly watched it for the shared experience and to see what people were talking about.

What I will remember the most about this show: Amazing production values, quality acting, sets, visuals, music and costumes comparable and even better than some cinematic productions that are nigh unprecedented and still unmatched for most TV shows. And some of the worst writing for such a show this big that I have ever seen.

On with The Witcher.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There wasn't really a bloodline successor available. Jon, technically, but he didn't want it and if they tried he would've been executed, starting a war. Gendry probably has the next best claim, but, the Barateon line to the crown was broken.

Blood succession is always risky, because of Kings like Joffery or Aerys. At least the council of Lords has a chance to avoid that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

There wasn't really a bloodline successor available. Jon, technically, but he didn't want it and if they tried he would've been executed, starting a war. Gendry probably has the next best claim, but, the Barateon line to the crown was broken.

 Blood succession is always risky, because of Kings like Joffery or Aerys. At least the council of Lords has a chance to avoid that.

But why is the Lords choosing better? They can be equally if not more corrupt. The Lords choosing seems equally risky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all the rapid cuts to and from Jon, Sansa, and Arya going their own separate ways, was really hoping they'd work one of Bran into that montage too.

With his eyes turning blue

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least they didn't give the crown to Brock.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brock Lesnar would be a better king than Bran.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

But why is the Lords choosing better? They can be equally if not more corrupt. The Lords choosing seems equally risky.

Because at least you need a consensus. It's not full proof, but it's better than Joffery just getting the crown. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

 Because at least you need a consensus. It's not full proof, but it's better than Joffery just getting the crown. 

I'm not sure why Bran getting the crown is better for Westeros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm not sure why Bran getting the crown is better for Westeros.

Better than... What? Tully? 

Again, he literally possesses wisdom no one else comes close to, was raised to be just and fair, and has no personal desire but wants to preserve humanity. In universe, who is a better choice after everything that happened?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Better than... What? Tully? 

Again, he literally possesses wisdom no one else comes close to, was raised to be just and fair, and has no personal desire but wants to preserve humanity. In universe, who is a better choice after everything that happened?

He doesn't have wisdom. He has knowledge. Knowledge doesn't not make one wise. He no longer even sees himself as a human being or the son of Ned Stark. He said all this himself. He has no sense of compassion.

He has yet to prove once in the last two seasons to have a strong sense of wisdom. 

The same people who okayed it also compared the people to that of dogs. 

Was that so fucking hard you numpty? 

kkqek3v5m9z21.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they really need to go all Riefenstahl with Dany? We get it. Mad Queen. 

Theres a time and place for meta, but Sam’s tome was not one of them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should have done more with Night King  

I think they should have done more discussing Dany and what her motivations were this season because her talk with Jon before he killed her was very insightful.  

They also should have done more with Varys and Tyrion discussing Dany also..  

Finally,  they should have done more with Dorne and the other kingdoms and what was going on with them during all this.  

Again,  if you make it 20 episodes instead of 13 they could have set it up nicely and did the same exact endings and everything would have felt much more complete. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My major gripe beyond "here's the leaders of the realm" as I was wondering where the fuck they've been during all this was that I don't believe Grey Worm would have let Tyrion or Jon live. 

Grey Worm has such a weird arc in this episode.  Goes from being merciless and taking no prisoners on behalf of Dany...to literally taking prisoners (of the people that conspired to kill Dany, no less!) and standing around, getting dunked on by literally everyone at that meeting.  And then, after becoming a genocidal asshole for two episodes, he gets a weirdly heroic ending, as the Unsullied are sailing off to protect Missendei's island.

Just all over the place.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think they should have done more with Night King  

I think they should have done more discussing Dany and what her motivations were this season because her talk with Jon before he killed her was very insightful.  

They also should have done more with Varys and Tyrion discussing Dany also..  

Finally,  they should have done more with Dorne and the other kingdoms and what was going on with them during all this.  

Again,  if you make it 20 episodes instead of 13 they could have set it up nicely and did the same exact endings and everything would have felt much more complete. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Better than... What? Tully? 

Again, he literally possesses wisdom no one else comes close to, was raised to be just and fair, and has no personal desire but wants to preserve humanity. In universe, who is a better choice after everything that happened?

Think of who you're arguing with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry. They basically made Google the King of the Six Kingdoms. I don't see why that's a good thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Sorry. They basically made Google the King of the Six Kingdoms. I don't see why that's a good thing. 

Bring back the Night King

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing... When Jon was sentenced to go back to I thought, well, what's the point of the Night's Watch now that the white walkers are gone and a bunch of Wildlings are living there anyway. So it was nice to see that the Wildlings were still there, but yeah, what's the point of Castle Black now?

Also, the wall got rebuilt really fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Craig H said:

One other thing... When Jon was sentenced to go back to I thought, well, what's the point of the Night's Watch now that the white walkers are gone and a bunch of Wildlings are living there anyway. So it was nice to see that the Wildlings were still there, but yeah, what's the point of Castle Black now?

Also, the wall got rebuilt really fast.

Tyrion said the world needs a place for bastards and broken men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...