DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think there's a lot the show has gotten wrong but I just don't think Arya with her background and everything taking out Night King is a bad move

Maybe I'm not reading the worse part of the net, but it seems like there were more complaints about how she did, rather than her being the one that did it. 

42 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe I'm not reading the worse part of the net, but it seems like there were more complaints about how she did, rather than her being the one that did it. 

I think something like Euron's shitty character or even how Dany didn't see the fleet this week are valid criticisms,  there's a lot to criticize.  It wasn't a perfect end by any means but I can't question how a ninja slipped past a bunch of people.  I can see how others didn't like it but I felt it made enough sense. 

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:02 PM, TheVileOne said:

Sorry it was an Emmy party. I think her reaction about a minute in says it all.

That felt more like "Jesus, I sure am sick and tired of wearing this fucking heavy ass white wig for hours at a time," than a critique of the actual episodes.

She's kinda done playing  Dany and wants to move on and do other shit while she has the name fame to pick and choose her projects.  Perfectly understandable.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Throat said:

Game Of Thrones director blames CGI for Jon’s lackluster goodbye to Ghost

Lame. They're just making real dogs appear larger, right? Why does that cost so much?

Not quite, there's a bunch of after effects that have to go into upscaling and rerendering the wolves, even if they were using real dogs as the base.

Man hours to process the rendering, multiple shots, multiple takes, man hours for crew to be on set to film the multiple shots and takes, etc, data storage for the shots... Money adds up quick.

The Direwolves have been the hardest things to CGI the entire course of the series, at times more so than the Dragons and Wights.  It's why they ended up  not used all around that much.

Edited by Raziel

Still, you'd think they could pony up for at least a quick pat on the head in the last wolf's sendoff. Even with the reduced role Ghost has had for a while, there was enough history there that he deserved more than a nod. I'm surprised the showrunners didn't just have him die off-camera in that ill-conceived Dothraki sprint into darkness.

In Fire and Blood, it makes it clear that most of the Dragons were killed by other Dragons. Meraxes was killed by a Scorpion bolt. Balerion the Black Dread died of old age, believe it or not.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Throat said:

Game Of Thrones director blames CGI for Jon’s lackluster goodbye to Ghost

Lame. They're just making real dogs appear larger, right? Why does that cost so much?

The problem with that scene was that there was no tearful farewell.  The least that Jon could've done was give Ghost a proper goodbye hug or something.

He showed Tormund more affection than he showed Ghost.  I was pretty salty about that.

How in the world can you fuck up generating sadness from a scene with a canine in it?  The sorrow should be built in.

Marley & Me, mother fuckers.  Do none of these people own a copy of White Fang on DVD?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Eh, wolves can't play the game of thrones. Nor can they monologue. I mean, maybe cats can do one or the other.

Cats are evil.

They are affectionate in their own way and Lord knows they clean up after themselves much better than dogs, but they are still evil.

one-is-a-demon-from-a-distant-world-who-

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

So between the lighting issues in the Battle of Winterfell, and then the coffee cup and the whole 'Sexual abuse makes you stronger' concept, is it fair to say that this season, the show is dark, and full of errors?

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, AxB said:

So between the lighting issues in the Lobf Night, and then the coffee cup and the whole 'Sexual abuse makes you stronger' concept, is it fair to say that this season, the show is dark, and full of errors?

Jeph Loeb being involved would explain a lot.

• Haha 1

I somehow failed to notice that they were in a previously unseen King's Landing desert landscape while I was watching it. Maybe Cersei had so much fun burning the sept that she burned all the trees down too?

3 minutes ago, Throat said:

I somehow failed to notice that they were in a previously unseen King's Landing desert landscape while I was watching it. Maybe Cersei had so much fun burning the sept that she burned all the trees down too?

Well, I mean, that *was* a pretty spectacular explosion and it was done by Wildfire, so it might be possible that burning shrapnel from the Sept ended up lighting some of the forest outside down (I forget offhand if the Sept was near the edge of the city.)

The Sept is nowhere near the edge of the city. The City is built on three hills. Aegon's High Hill is topped by Maegor's Holdfast (including the Red Keep; The Palace, basically). Visenya's hill was topped by the Great Sept of Baelor, until it blew up. Rhaenys' hill is topped by the Dragonpit (which is where the summit meeting was held last season). 

I feel like they had a nice metaphor with the killing of Rhaegal -- who was barely able to fly -- as a symbol of Dany's foolish failure to wait and allow her forces to heal up.  But the way it played out didn't even involve Rhaegal's weakened state. There are a bunch of ways they could have blocked out the Euron ambush that would have been better logically and thematically. 

After the Night King was killed, I was thinking that the only logical thing for the Dany crew to do would be to wait. They needed to heal up, re-stock, re-arm, etc. Nobody was saying that they needed to get to King's Landing ahead of the winter, right?  I'd have liked it if the Golden Company was still assembling and getting ready to head off to King's Landing and the Dany group was trying to get to King's Landing first, with the idea that if things were well in hand by the time the Golden Company got there, the GC would realize they weren't going to get paid by Cersei and turn around.

That said, I can buy Niners' explanation - that Dany feels like the clock is ticking before people decide they want Jon on the throne instead of her.  But it's harder to buy that Dany's people would accept it so easily. She didn't even give any sort of plausible excuse, and nobody said "But why?". I guess that will likely play into the schism between Dany and her people, but I wish she'd had some sort of cover story, even if it's not a great one.  

• Like 1