DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

The only reasonable explanation for Dany to rush into battle is that they only have a couple more episodes and they don't have time to waste showing people sitting around resting for a month or two. 

Seriously, everything for Dany improves by waiting, and everything for Cersei gets worse.  They could legit just cut off supply lines and starve out Cersei, the peasants she let into the Red Keep, and the Golden Company.  They were short on food a long ass time ago, and there isn't a fertile place in Westeros that doesn't hate her guts.  The peasants who are now in the castle would tear her limb from limb before Dany ever got there.  Dany could fly across the entire continent gaining allies, troops, food, etc.  Cersei is pretty much only alive because no one has shown up to lay siege to the castle.  She can't go anywhere, because EVERYONE hates her. 

My biggest problem with the entire episode is that Dany doesn't have a plan.  They had a planning scene and everyone brought up all the issues they're facing.  Instead of using this information to form a plan, they just decide, "Fuck it, let's just go."  They decided instead of forming a strategy on how to take the Iron Throne, they decided to march a battle-worn, army hundreds of miles to a fortified city and just see what happens. Then after losing one of the 2 most powerful weapons in the world, the people who wrote the show say that they just forgot the Iron Fleet existed, and I'm supposed to be OK with that.  That makes Tyrion, Dany, Davos, Jon, Grey Worm, whatever the last Dothraki's name is, Missandei, Sansa, Arya, The Hound, Sam, Gilly, Little Sam, and everyone else look like an idiot for not saying, "wait, don't we need a plan?"  That is bad writing.  If your explanation on why the heroes of your story get caught by surprise by a fleet of ships had time to locate, aim, and shoot a dragon out of the sky without being seen is, "oh, they forgot those guys existed," you've done a terrible job.  At this point in the story, they don't even have enough enemies that Euron Greyjoy is someone they could possibly forget.  Seriously, their enemies are Cersei Lannister and Euron Greyjoy, they probably don't know the leader of the Golden Company's name.  Can you imagine if during WWII the Allies destroy Germany and then get blindsided and lost England because they forgot that Mussolini and/or the Japanese existed?  That is the story they told.  They just up and forgot that enemies whole ass navy existed and lost one of their main war assets...whoops.

• Like 2

Just had another thought.  Do you know who else looks incredibly stupid this episode?  Cersei.  The entire strength of her army is at King's Landing, and Dany shows up with about 25 people and about a mile away from her dragon.  Why wouldn't she just kill her entire delegation?  If she kills Dany, Grey Worm, and Tyrion, wouldn't the war be effectively over?  Sure, Jon is still alive, but he's miles away, with an exhausted, wounded, battle-worn army and no way to know that Dany is dead.  Cersei could just march her troops up the King's Road and wipe them out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Just had another thought.  Do you know who else looks incredibly stupid this episode?  Cersei.  The entire strength of her army is at King's Landing, and Dany shows up with about 25 people and about a mile away from her dragon.  Why wouldn't she just kill her entire delegation?  If she kills Dany, Grey Worm, and Tyrion, wouldn't the war be effectively over?  Sure, Jon is still alive, but he's miles away, with an exhausted, wounded, battle-worn army and no way to know that Dany is dead.  Cersei could just march her troops up the King's Road and wipe them out.

I wondered the exact same thing. Drogon, Dany, everyone would have been dead. I thought that was going to happen so we would have a real WTF scenario heading into next week.

• Like 1

I've seen people say that but I don't know how killing a few Unsullied and Dany wins the war.  She still has Jon, whatever is left of the north and the Vale and Dorne and Yara to be concerned with.  

Also,  Dany is rushing because the more time she wastes the more people find out she isn't who she is supposed to be. That's it.  Of course if she waited she'd have a better chance but she isn't going to wait because she has a big freakin secret that can't get out.  

What happens if she waits and then Snow tells Arya/Sansa (which he did anyway) and then the secret is out?  You think the north are going to fall in line with a foreigner?  Or are they going to back the king of the north Jon Snow?   Who doesn't want to be on the throne but that doesn't matter...   the rightful heir doesn't have the luxury of just telling his people nah,  I'm good...  back this foreigner.   Don't work like that. 

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I wondered the exact same thing. Drogon, Dany, everyone would have been dead. I thought that was going to happen so we would have a real WTF scenario heading into next week.

It wouldn't have been out of character, and actually fairly tame by Cersei's standards.  She killed her son's wife's entire family and every major religious figure on the continent in a church by burning them alive.  Killing 25 people who showed up at her front door to threaten her is damn near justified.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I've seen people say that but I don't know how killing a few Unsullied and Dany wins the war.  She still has Jon, whatever is left of the north and the Vale and Dorne and Yara to be concerned with.  

Also,  Dany is rushing because the more time she wastes the more people find out she isn't who she is supposed to be. That's it.  Of course if she waited she'd have a better chance but she isn't going to wait because she has a big freakin secret that can't get out.  

What happens if she waits and then Snow tells Arya/Sansa (which he did anyway) and then the secret is out?  You think the north are going to fall in line with a foreigner?  Or are they going to back the king of the north Jon Snow?   Who doesn't want to be on the throne but that doesn't matter...   the rightful heir doesn't have the luxury of just telling his people nah,  I'm good...  back this foreigner.   Don't work like that. 

The problem is, those people don't want to follow her now, so it isn't really a problem that speed can fix.  If Jon and Dany get married, Sansa gets Winterfell, the Riverlands, and the Vale, but bends the knee to Jon.  Jon lets Dany rule and everyone gets what they want.  Jon can be king to everyone who needs him to be, and Dany actually gets to have the power.  This is legitimately the dumbest of all conflicts.  

By the way, I laughed when Tyrion tried to make it sound like Cersei wasn't a monster when she blew up the Sept and surrounding area and drove Tommen to kill himself.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

By the way, I laughed when Tyrion tried to make it sound like Cersei wasn't a monster when she blew up the Sept and surrounding area and drove Tommen to kill himself.

He's trying to reason with her and not upset her. As we all know, calling shitty people the thing that they are tends to be a trigger. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

There is a history of the rightful heir turning down the Iron Throne, and it going to the next in line.

Jon actually had a close personal relationship with someone who turned down the throne to go to The Wall.  He doesn't even have to think that hard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

There is a history of the rightful heir turning down the Iron Throne, and it going to the next in line.

True dat, there is also plenty of history of the House Targaryen being 1/2 competent rulers and 1/2 batshit crazy, sometimes at the same time. Dany is obviously getting closer and closer to being her father's daughter. So who is the REAL monster? Cersei? Dany? Euron? Jamie? Cersei has a mean streak a mile wide, we've seen that. Dany has become exactly was she was battling against and in the best true villain sense, remains absolutely convinced of the rightness of her cause and that ends justify the means. Euron is an opportunist, maybe not the smartest guy in the room as long as Qyburn is around, but definitely the most pragmatic, he also knows his limitations and is perfectly content to stay in his lane. Royal Consort is all the legit power that he'll ever need and he knows it, no delusions about sitting in the Iron Throne. He knows the small folk and most importantly the major houses would never stand for a Greyjoy on the Iron Throne; that's fine, you don't have to sit in the throne when you have the Queen wrapped around your little finger and control of the Iron Fleet. Jamie's going to either kill Cersei or die trying very hard to do so. Considering that he's not all that great a fighter since losing his hand, I don't like his odds a whole lot. The only thing is, Cersei WILL let him get close enough to do the deed, but will Euron?

I actually wish there was another season now. It would give them time to flesh out Dany as the 'Mad Queen' and Sansa playing the Game now that she has evolved.

What gets me is - Why would anyone in the greater realm buy that Jon Snow is suddenly a long lost Targaryen heir? Why would Sansa and Arya believe him now? Because Bran says so?

What we needed was a fake out during the long night. All the major players (Dany, Sansa, Varys, Tyrion, Grey Worm & Jamie) in the courtyard as Zombie Dragon charges Jon and engulfs him in flame. Everyone thinks he is dead. Arya kills the Night King, ZD dies and there is Jon, curled on the ground, his clothes burnt off.

He isn't immune to the flame (he is half Stark) but he clearly survived with minimal burns due to his Targaryen blood.

NOW everyone believes.

Edited by L_W_P

Just now, L_W_P said:

I actually wish there was another season now. It would give them time to flesh out Dany as the 'Mad Queen' and Sansa playing the Game now that she has evolved.

What gets me is - Why would anyone in the greater realm buy that Jon Snow is suddenly a long lost Targaryen heir? Why would Sansa and Arya believe him now? Because Bran says so?

Considering Bran info dumped on Littlefinger to them and know shit about them that he wouldn't be able to know, they've pretty much accepted the 3 Eyed Raven thing.  Whilst Jon is still a Targaryen heir, he's also a Stark and a Northerner.  They claim helps as the North doesn't want Dany OR Cersei on the Throne, so Jon's the most likely to leave them the fuck alone should he sit the chair.  So all Sansa has to say is "Yup, he's the heir" and the North is on his side, at this point it doesn't matter if it's true or not.  The telling is that Tyrion and Varys believe it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Sansa and Arya also both know their dad, and how it is much more likely that he'd lie to protect his sister's child than to go knock up some mystery woman.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AxB said:

* nb: Every series of Blackadder ends with the entire cast lying dead on the floor. It was played for laughs in the first three.

No, Blackadder The Third does not end with everyone dead. It actually has Blackadder replacing Prince George after the duel with The Duke of Wellington. Prince George dies as he is posing as Blackadder

It is the only Blackadder series with most everyone (save for George) alive at the end

James

3 minutes ago, J.H. said:

It is the only Blackadder series with most everyone (save for George) alive at the end

James

Well I mean, there's the Christmas Episode too.

• Like 1

What are the Free Folk going to do up north? Eat snow and die? Yeah they're no longer ruining away from the zombambos but the weather is still pretty chilly up there.

Can anyone remind me why is Tyrion so loyal to Dany? I'm not being sarcastic, did she save his life or something? I legit don't remember.

All the other stuff I don't even care.

1 minute ago, MarcosLoura said:

What are the Free Folk going to do up north? Eat snow and die? Yeah they're no longer ruining away from the zombambos but the weather is still pretty chilly up there.

Can anyone remind me why is Tyrion so loyal to Dany? I'm not being sarcastic, did she save his life or something? I legit don't remember.

All the other stuff I don't even care.

Tormund said once it thawed a bit they were going, and Free Folk are used to being North of the Wall in Winter.  There's also a chance the Winter this time was brought about by the Walkers and it's going to be quick.  

20 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

She had a neat pin in the shape of a hand made for him.

• Haha 1

Would Cersei had been able to kill Drogon?  I don't think they mentioned that Rhaegal was injured and needed resting for no reason.  It was a short while later that he was taken out.  Drogon managed to dodge several arrows and get out of there.  I think if Cersei fucked with him at that point she would have been roasted along with everyone else on that rooftop.  She didn't even have anyone manning the spiders. 

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Well I mean, there's the Christmas Episode too.

Man wouldn't that be totally Blackadder to have everyone die in thre Xmas episode

James