DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Good job I never got around to posting my Pregnant Dragon prediction. I don't imagine Drogon will be laying any eggs in the next two episodes. The book Dragons might. Jon's going to be pissed off his flying horse got shot down. You'd think Dany would have realised, if the scorpion bolts are coming from that way, we should fly away this way, and interpose the massive island between us and the attackers. Although she also didn't see them before they started shooting which seems unlikely. If the Greyjoy ships had been flying Dragon banners and she'd assumed they were friendlys, it would have made sense that she didn't see the danger. But that's not what the show is now.

Speaking of characters falling off a cliff, Brienne was knighted literally two episodes ago. Now suddenly she's an emotional wreck since the dude who gave her some dick is leaving town?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

I'm predicting Jaime kills Euron, but gets killed by the Mountain before he can kill Cersei. 

That could very well be.

My prediction for the finish is that Arya kills Cersei while wearing Jamies face-- I'm a little less sure after last week though. You go that route after what she did during the long night, and that's a lot of shine-- it becomes her show entirely.

Another thing is: Tyrion mentions the pregnancy when he's trying to reason with Cersei, and Euron is standing right there. So now Euron knows that she's probably trying to bamboozle him. Maybe we get a Euron babyface turn.

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Speaking of characters falling off a cliff, Brienne was knighted literally two episodes ago. Now suddenly she's an emotional wreck since the dude who gave her some dick is leaving town?

She's been told her entire life that she's an ugly freak because she doesn't fit the feminine ideal of that world. She's big and tough and supposedly that's not what men want. She probably never thought she'd be in a relationship, and then she finally was with a man she was interested in for a long time who she had great respect for, but he dumps her hard and splits. I'd cry foul if she just stood there stoically after that.

• Like 5

Three things I hated about this episode:

• Ghost got dumped. Jon's loyal companion didn't get a hug goodbye or even a pat on the head. I guess it would cost too much to show a human physically interacting with a dire wolf? With Rhaegal dead, that should've freed up some wolf money, right? Now Jon has no spirit animals. At least they didn't kill this one.
  • How does Euron's fleet sneak up on Dany's? If they can see you and have time to aim those giant crossbows, you should be able to see them.
  • Sansa said getting raped and tortured by Ramsay MADE HER A BETTER PERSON! Holy fucking shit. I despise you, Benioff and Weiss.
  • Like 3

Honestly, what was the point of Ghost's unexplained survival to just send him away? Although I'm pretty sure they also said they still have Dothraki soldiers as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Throat said:

Sansa said getting raped and tortured by Ramsay MADE HER A BETTER PERSON! Holy fucking shit. I despise you, Benioff and Weiss.

That scene was so close to being great, then she had to say that last fucking line.

• Haha 1

I'm not going to whitewash it. I think it was a distraction and a mistake and it shouldn't have been in the episode,, but she wasn't saying it made her a better person, just that it made her a person that could play the Game of Thrones. In fact, it was stated elsewhere in the episode that she'd be completely unyielding (understandably so by Dany) because of what she'd gone through.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Honestly, what was the point of Ghost's unexplained survival to just send him away? Although I'm pretty sure they also said they still have Dothraki soldiers as well.

They said they have half of the Dothraki still left along with half of the unsullied, which is laughable.

I was just getting over Viscerion, and now they kill Rhagal!

Or did they? My wife pointed out that Dany's quote was "Did you see my child fall?" rather than "Did you see my child die?"  Perhaps that surprised look on Euron's face in the preview is because he looked up and saw Rahgal. We don't know how much time actually passed between the ambush on the sea and the meeting at the gates. He could have been badly wounded and then healed up, and stayed at Dragonstone.

29 minutes ago, Throat said:

Three things I hated about this episode:

•  
  • How does Euron's fleet sneak up on Dany's? If they can see you and have time to aim those giant crossbows, you should be able to see them.
  •  

Get this shit:  According to Benioff on the aftershow, Euron was able to ambush the fleet because--I shit you not--"Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet."

SHE FORGOT ABOUT THE IRON FLEET.

Which is to say, also, that every knob in her war room, apparently, had to have forgotten about the Iron Fleet, as well.  Because surely someone would've been, like, "What about the Iron Fleet while we're sailing to King's Landing?  Maybe that could be a problem?"  But nope.  Nobody did.

Again, these people are being written purely as morons to service the plot at this point.

Edited by EVA
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Matt D said:

I'm not going to whitewash it. I think it was a distraction and a mistake and it shouldn't have been in the episode,, but she wasn't saying it made her a better person, just that it made her a person that could play the Game of Thrones. In fact, it was stated elsewhere in the episode that she'd be completely unyielding (understandably so by Dany) because of what she'd gone through.

Doesn't that make her a better person in this world? If you can't play the game, you'll just be a helpless pawn. I'm not gonna argue that her horrible experiences didn't prepare her for this, but maybe there was a better way they could have had her phrase it, or just don't say it at all.

I think by the time she got stuck with Ramsay, she was already way beyond being the little bird she used to be thanks to her time in King's Landing and the tutelage of Littlefinger. She didn't need to be repeatedly raped to wise up. I haven't read the books, but it's my understanding none of this even happened to her there. I'm sure book Sansa gets to where she needs to be just the same without all that Ramsay abuse. It sounded to me like the showrunners were doubling down on that controversial decision.

Yeah, I'm with you guys who think that this was a poorly written piece of crap.  Dany has no depth as a character, she is so stupidly single-minded that it's almost cartoonish.  She's basically Wile E. Coyote on a dragon at this point and the Iron Throne is the Road Runner.  Instead of stopping, planning, and listening to the people around her who have actually fought in wars, been to Kings Landing, or know her enemy she decides to fly in blind and hope for the best...just so she can convince them she's in charge.  If there is a universal leadership trait that will lead to dissent in the ranks, it is that the ranks think the leader is going to get them killed.  

Another part of the episode that made me scratch my head is the fact that they would still have a numbers advantage if it wasn't for the Golden Company.  Huh?  How did any Dothraki survive?  How did more than a few Unsullied survive?  Tormund took the free folk back beyond the wall, so you can't count any of them.  So we're to expect that there are enough Northmen and Knights of the Vale to march on Kings Landing and defeat Cersei's well rested army?  First, why did no one even try to convince the Free Folk to march south?  Why did no one try to convince Brienne, who may be the greatest warrior in the fucking realm to march south?  Ghost, the giant wolf who somehow survived the worst cavalry charge in the history of cavalry charges, send him north too.  So, The Hound and Arya just leave and no one at all notices?  The two most ruthless killers in your entire army are allowed to just mozy out the door and go on a roadtrip.

Another issue, why is she in such a rush to head south?  Why not wait on Yara to sail over and join their fleet?  Why have the most seasoned naval support on the otherside of the continent?  They could have met at White Harbor or had Brienne contact her family at Evenfall Hall and used a pincer maneuver against Euron and his fleet.  That would have given the army a month or so of rest, which they desperately need.  They could have contacted the Prince of Dorne, whoever the fuck that is, and had Gendry call banners for Storms End.  Seriously, Cersei has enemies everywhere.  The Stormlands are home to Tarth, Dondarrion, and Selmy...they couldn't convince the families of Brienne, Beric, and Barriston the fucking Bold to fight for them.  No Dornishmen would fight for Cersei.  The Reach has no love for the Lannisters.  Where are the Tullys?  Sansa can't call her uncle to call the banners?  They could go south with a battered army, one injured (now dead) dragon, one healthy dragon, and half a fleet that as far as I can tell has one person with any naval experience...or wait a month and have a rested army, two healthy dragons, a full fleet with multiple seasoned captains, everyone else you can recruit to take on the most hated woman on the planet, and a fucking strategy.  They took the former.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

Get this shit:  According to Benioff on the aftershow, Euron was able to ambush the fleet because--I shit you not--"Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet."

Which is to say, also, that every knob in her war room, apparently, had to have forgotten about the Iron Fleet, as well.

Again, these people are being written purely as morons to service the plot at this point.

Written as morons by morons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Which is to say, also, that every knob in her war room, apparently, had to have forgotten about the Iron Fleet, as well.  Because surely someone would've been, like, "What about the Iron Fleet while we're sailing to King's Landing?  Maybe that could be a problem?"  But nope.  Nobody did.

It would have been easy to have REMEMBERED the fleet but have not known about the crossbows. 

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

At this point I fully expect the writers to have Euron hiding behind random bits of scenery and leaping out to twirl his mustache and laugh maniacally.

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

Here's another issue I have with that...how low is she flying the dragons?  Seriously, that wasn't exactly Mount Everest they were hiding behind.  What is the point of having dragons if you're going to fly so low that you can't see further than you can at sea level?  The last episode the dragons flew above the clouds, so they could clearly fly above that mountain, why not keep an eye out for hidden enemies?  The dragons could legit fly high enough to see everything for miles and miles AND be out of range for the ballistas, but she'd rather flow so low that she can't see what's around the next corner and is in the sweet spot for ballistas.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

See, Ned is a great example of what I'm talking about.  Ned's failure was rooted in his character, not his lack of intelligence.  The book/show made this clear by having almost literally everyone tell him his virtues were going to get him killed before it happened.  He couldn't help himself.  Even though "dumb Ned Stark" is the meme, he wasn't dumb, just a man out of his element.

And there's a way they could've gotten to a siege of King's Landing (if that's what they're committed to doing) that was similarly rooted in character, not sheer stupidity.  "Dany makes brash, emotional choices" is a well-established trait at this point (even if it's not always clear W&B realize that).  The problem is, unlike with Ned,  there was hardly any pushback from the non-brash/emotional people to establish the contrast.  Instead, we actually get a front row seat to the war room strategy meeting, and everybody falls in line with this horrible plan in short order.  Best as I recall, the only real objection is Sansa's "folks need to rest."  Nobody suggests any real alternative strategies to the taking of King's Landing at any point in this episode.

And so, rather than a bunch of smart people who are at the whim of an impulsive queen, they just all look like dopes who have no better ideas.

I agree with your point, but not the example. The underlying power struggle stuff fits with Jon just nodding along with Dany in that moment. 

The really great example to use is Tyrion in Season 7.. A waste of a great character in service of what essentially boils down to “how can we avoid Dany steamrolling Cersei? 

They had put themselves in a corner geographically based on where Dany landed on the continent.  So instead of really truly course correcting somehow they decided to take the smartest character on the show and make him do some really dumb things.

4 minutes ago, Jrag said:

I agree with your point, but not the example. The underlying power struggle stuff fits with Jon just nodding along with Dany in that moment. 

The really great example to use is Tyrion in Season 7.. A waste of a great character in service of what essentially boils down to “how can we avoid Dany steamrolling Cersei? 

They had put themselves in a corner geographically based on where Dany landed on the continent.  So instead of really truly course correcting somehow they decided to take the smartest character on the show and make him do some really dumb things.

I'll say this: with the way Tyrion has been booked to lose, they're definitely putting the WWE championship on him at the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Also... like 3/4ths of my problems with the last 2 season would have been solved if they stuck with the 10 episode format instead of fucking the pacing up so much.

Why are we getting six 80+ minute episodes instead of ten 55 minute ones? Why is HBO rushing to the finish line of their biggest hit ever?  

I’ve been baffled by this since they announced it.  It makes no sense to me.

Edited by Jrag

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm just convinced now that there's nothing this board won't eventually turn on and hate at some point.

I have been fielding what I think to be reasonable defenses against certain critiques here, but there are just so many that the whole enterprise seems underwater. 

• Thanks 1