DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Since they have to remind us about Sam and the Gilly girl...

Where the fuck is Yara? She set sail and was never held from again.

If their track record for made up shit continues with her, let her stay gone.  I love the expansions of characters that spend most of the books off page, but most of the made up plots have left a lot to be desired. 

I'm just saying that before the preemptive "X finally shows up to do something and doesn't appear for another three episodes".

I found her strangely fascinating in season two. Then she was reduced to staring at her estranged brother's severed genitalia. These storylines can't all be winners, I guess.

If their track record for made up shit continues with her, let her stay gone.  I love the expansions of characters that spend most of the books off page, but most of the made up plots have left a lot to be desired.

Yeah, it's weird that HBO refuses to stay true to the historical record.

EPISODE 3: YOU ARE THE WORST SHIT.

As soon as the credits finished rolling, I remembered Little Finger existed and immediately said to my wife "LITTLE FINGER WITH THE CANDLESTICK IN THE STUDY MOTHER FUCKER." And then he showed up and killed that dude, whoever he was. I was wondering how he'd react to the Red Wedding. This is pretty fucking appropriate. And no he gets to try be lecherous with Sansa, which automatically makes Sansa's situation 100 times more interesting.

Tywin educating Tommen was clutch. Your brother sucked. That's why he's lying there with rocks for eyes. Don't suck and you won't lay there. i feel like Wisdom's going to be a big thing with Tommen so I expect him to look like this when he grows up(married to Dany obviously):

antwoord1.jpg

Holy fuck balls Tubby Jabronie showed up. About a minute into his scene I realized he wasn't just serving up establishing dialogue before an interesting character took over the scene. It was..like...a scene about Tubby and his problems. Terrible. CUT TO: J-Brone Baratheon and his problems. CUT BACK TO: Tubby leaving his girlfriend to sleep on used toilet paper. This was the low part of the episode.

No... wait... there was a weird rape scene wasn't there? 

That never ending bowl of rabbit stew was a pretty neat trick. Arya and Hound would have been better off taking that than the silver.

The scene where Ginger shot an arrow into some guy's head was the most Hercules/Xena Action Pack opening this show has ever felt. It even had some voice actor sweetening the mayhem with the same war cry. ...fuck Xena in Westeros would be the best spinoff show. And you know Obe and Xena would hook up. And then fight. And then hook up again.

VINTAGE DANY~! at the end. BREAK DEM CHAINS. Guys can you imagine what the scene would have been like if Bango Tango hadn't got fired? I wish they kept both actors and filmed all their scenes twice - and then let the fans decide who should be playing the character at any given moment. Sounds like a job for the Game of Thrones Mobile App.

Clearly a set up episode for something more interesting, so it's a step down from the previous two, but the direction the characters are heading in is really cool and exciting.

Except for Jamie. Because Jamie's character took a wrong turn at Sister Rape Alley. I knew shit was going down hill for him when he shaved his gruffness.

My wife after just reading what I wrote: "So you thought that scene was rapey?"

So here comes a fun conversation.

• Like 2

He's made it clear he doesn't want Tyrion, or potential Tyrion heirs, near the Rock.  Getting rid of Tyrion would give Tommen and *his* heirs the Rock.  He named Bolton Warden of the North, so its just playing the long game there.  Besides, they'll stop fighting when the Wildlings come through the Wall, right?

Tommen is king, and his kids will be royal Baratheon's so they would get Storm's End and Dragonstone before Casterly Rock.  Tyrion being married to Sansa, the living heir to Winterfell is a much more powerful position than being Warden of the North when you betrayed Robb Stark.  The North is about as big as the other 6 kingdoms combined, and they all hate Roose, but love the Starks.  Putting Tyrion and Sansa in Winterfell would solve a shitload of problems up there.  He could claim to not want Tyrion to be the lord of Casterly Rock, but he would definitely want a Lannister to be in Casterly Rock and Tyrion is the only person with the last name Lannister who could do that.

Well, there's cousin Lancel, but we haven't seen him since he (correctly) second-guessed Cersei to her face and she punched him in his arrow wound.

Maybe he's still trying to find that Breastplate Stretcher from season 1.

EPISODE 3: YOU ARE THE WORST SHIT.

As soon as the credits finished rolling, I remembered Little Finger existed and immediately said to my wife "LITTLE FINGER WITH THE CANDLESTICK IN THE STUDY MOTHER FUCKER." And then he showed up and killed that dude, whoever he was. I was wondering how he'd react to the Red Wedding. This is pretty fucking appropriate. And no he gets to try be lecherous with Sansa, which automatically makes Sansa's situation 100 times more interesting.

Tywin educating Tommen was clutch. Your brother sucked. That's why he's lying there with rocks for eyes. Don't suck and you won't lay there. i feel like Wisdom's going to be a big thing with Tommen so I expect him to look like this when he grows up(married to Dany obviously):

antwoord1.jpg

Holy fuck balls Tubby Jabronie showed up. About a minute into his scene I realized he wasn't just serving up establishing dialogue before an interesting character took over the scene. It was..like...a scene about Tubby and his problems. Terrible. CUT TO: J-Brone Baratheon and his problems. CUT BACK TO: Tubby leaving his girlfriend to sleep on used toilet paper. This was the low part of the episode.

No... wait... there was a weird rape scene wasn't there? 

That never ending bowl of rabbit stew was a pretty neat trick. Arya and Hound would have been better off taking that than the silver.

The scene where Ginger shot an arrow into some guy's head was the most Hercules/Xena Action Pack opening this show has ever felt. It even had some voice actor sweetening the mayhem with the same war cry. ...fuck Xena in Westeros would be the best spinoff show. And you know Obe and Xena would hook up. And then fight. And then hook up again.

VINTAGE DANY~! at the end. BREAK DEM CHAINS. Guys can you imagine what the scene would have been like if Bango Tango hadn't got fired? I wish they kept both actors and filmed all their scenes twice - and then let the fans decide who should be playing the character at any given moment. Sounds like a job for the Game of Thrones Mobile App.

Clearly a set up episode for something more interesting, so it's a step down from the previous two, but the direction the characters are heading in is really cool and exciting.

Except for Jamie. Because Jamie's character took a wrong turn at Sister Rape Alley. I knew shit was going down hill for him when he shaved his gruffness.

My wife after just reading what I wrote: "So you thought that scene was rapey?"

So here comes a fun conversation.

Seven gods damn it, Jae.

Well, I think my wife is kind of right that it's a complicated situation. Cersei does go back and forth in the moment to being reciprocal and repulsed(it's the love of her life, it's her dead son's body right next to her). I haven't read the director's thoughts on the scene but I don't think he illustrated her going from one spectrum to the other. I guess one could call it "rape-ish".

The whole "no, no, yes yes yes yes" scene is done masterfully in the book. On the show it was awful.

One, written just for the show, rape scene was enough already (Drogo and Danny back in season 1).

The Dany/Drogo scene didn't bother me nearly as much as the Jaime/Cersei scene.  Dany was a young girl who was scared to have sex with her husband on her wedding day, but ultimately was resigned to what had to happen.  Cersei was a grown ass woman who had the agency to know whether or not she wanted to have sex, and she clearly didn't want to have sex.  Both were super uncomfortable, but one of them was a wife who had to have sex to make her marriage binding, and the other was a grieving mother who was begging the father of her illegitimate dead child not to rape her.

I assumed the awful rape scene was just HBO writing in a backdoor pilot for a Thomas Covenant series to fill the fantasy gap once GoT ends.

I have sort of come to accept the changes made to this scene and the scene with Dany back in season one. I think without the omnipotent third person the books give you as perspective for the scenes, filming them as written would make it come across as a woman repeatedly saying no, a man refusing to acknowledge her wishes, but through the power of his gruff masculinity she is forced to give in to her basest desires. Not only would it end up coming across as equally rapey, it would end up being pretty insulting. 

I assumed the awful rape scene was just HBO writing in a backdoor pilot for a Thomas Covenant series to fill the fantasy gap once GoT ends.

I have sort of come to accept the changes made to this scene and the scene with Dany back in season one. I think without the omnipotent third person the books give you as perspective for the scenes, filming them as written would make it come across as a woman repeatedly saying no, a man refusing to acknowledge her wishes, but through the power of his gruff masculinity she is forced to give in to her basest desires. Not only would it end up coming across as equally rapey, it would end up being pretty insulting. 

Yeah that chapter gives me the most pause whenever I consider recommending the books to anyone.  Especially since it comes so early.  That's usually one I warn/spoiler people on in the hope that they'll be more willing to give the rest of it a chance.  I'm not sure if the show truly handled it better or if I'm just less shocked because I knew it was coming.  At least Emilia Clarke never stops being terrified (which is a slight improvement over starting to like it)

I didn't forget about you guys, I'm just a little late.

This week we got a couple of references to mercenary companies in Essos.  Davos suggests that Stannis hire The Golden Company, a group of mercenaries that have never broke a contract, and The Hound suggests that he may join up with The Second Sons, another mercenary group that Oberyn Martell served with for a year.  Let’s examine these guys a little closer.

The Second Sons are one of the oldest free companies in Essos, they don’t have the shining reputation of The Golden Company, but they have many famous victories.  The Second Sons keep a book with a record of every man who has ever served, when they joined, where they fought, how long they served, and the manner of their deaths.  The names were initially written in blood, but they have since changed to red ink, because blood fades over time.  The Second Sons are currently on their fourth book, and its earliest record is over one hundred years old.  Notable Second Sons are Aerion Targaryen, who is most well-known for dying from drinking wildfire, because he thought it would make him a dragon.  Rodrick Stark was a Stark ancestor known by the nickname, The Wandering Wolf.  The most famous second son was Aegor Rivers, a Targaryen bastard who also happened to found a sellsword company called The Golden Company.

Aegor Rivers, better known as Bittersteel was the son of King Aegon IV, who legitimized his bastards leading to the civil war known as The Blackfyre Rebellion.  The Blackfyre’s lost and Aegor fled to Tyrosh one of the free cities of Essos, and joined The Second Sons.  After a year, Bittersteel left to form The Golden Company when he noticed that all of the exiled Blackfyre lords and knights were signing on to other sellsword companies.  He wanted to keep support of House Blackfyre strong to hopefully one day retake Westeros.  The Blackfyre’s rebelled multiple times the last of which was when Maelys the Monstrous took the Golden Companies to The Stepstones (an island chain off the coast of Dorne) to prepare for an invasion.  Aegon V(Danaerys’ great grandfather) sent an army to confront The Golden Company and Barriston Selmy killed Maelys Blackfyre in single combat extinguishing the male line of House Blackfyre.  Despite the lack of Blackfyres The Golden Company is still the largest, most famous, and most expensive mercenary company in the Free Cities.  Aegor Blackfyre made the command on his deathbed that his head should be removed, the flesh boiled from his skull, and dipped in gold and carried before The Golden Company and every one of his successors has followed his example.  

• Like 3

So, I asked:

Question for FSW (and any other Unsullied), who are the three characters you think are most likely to die in season 4? This is an honest question and I promise no snarky, spoiler-y hinting at whether or not your guesses are right.

And got a few replies that guessed right

either Tywin or Joffrey - It's time to shakeup King's Landing.  Tywin would do the most to throw things into utter chaos but it has to be time, right for Joffrey, right?  It has to be.

Joffrey: With all of the power plays going on around him combined with the Royal Wedding, now just seems like the time where he actually meets his demise.

Did you guys think it would occur later in the season?  Does how it went down make anyone feel frisky about predicting death?

So, I asked:

Question for FSW (and any other Unsullied), who are the three characters you think are most likely to die in season 4? This is an honest question and I promise no snarky, spoiler-y hinting at whether or not your guesses are right.

And got a few replies that guessed right

either Tywin or Joffrey - It's time to shakeup King's Landing.  Tywin would do the most to throw things into utter chaos but it has to be time, right for Joffrey, right?  It has to be.

Joffrey: With all of the power plays going on around him combined with the Royal Wedding, now just seems like the time where he actually meets his demise.

Did you guys think it would occur later in the season?  Does how it went down make anyone feel frisky about predicting death?

In retrospect it was idiotic to think Tywin would be killed.  I just had this vision of Jaime being way less of a mopey (and now rapey) schmuck when he returned and clashing with the old man.  But, man, no one is touching Tywin accept maybe Oberyn.

I still want to know what happened with the whole "The Fire God says we have to go defend the wall!!!" that ended Stannis' story last season.  They were all set to go charging off, and Mellisandre and Davos were both super into it and like "Fuck the iron throne this other shit is happening right the fuck now...LET'S GO!!!!! WHOOOO!!!!!!!

...and now they've sort of forgotten that scene ever happened?

Also R.I.P. Dontos' awesome Evel Kneevil armor and Lemmy Kilmister chops.

250px_Dontos_HBO.jpg

I don't know why, but I expected more from you than "Wait, no! thwack...dead."

AND WHAT IN THE LIVING HOLY HELL IS UP WITH LITTLEFINGER'S ACCENT????  Is he trying to play it as: "Swede learning English at the University of Saigon"?

I think Aiden Gillen was just too jacked up to be playing that scene. You could almost see the electricity jumping off his skin. It kinda reminded me of Jeremy Davies getting a chance to return to JUSTIFIED this past season, in that the actor's enthusiasm for what he was doing was palpable. Ever since Littlefinger turned on Ned, he's bee been shunted to the sidelines for the better part of 2 seasons; in a sense, he's become less a part of the show as the show has gotten more popular. In the back of his mind, he was probably thinking, "IT'S GILLEN'S TIME NOW, MOTHERFUCKERS."