DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

The thing that bothered me about that scene is that those dudes were in full Lannister armor.  I'd get it if they were broke ass farmers who were called by their liege lord to fight a war, but they were dressed like professional soldiers.  If you signed up to be a professional soldier in the Lannister army, I don't buy that you are some dude singing about kissing your sweetheart.  You don't sign up to be a professional killer in that world unless you want to rape and pillage.  If you want to be some sort of noble fighter, you sign up to be a squire in hopes to be a knight, you don't sign up to be a sworn sword to a ruthless lord who encourages the mistreatment of the small folk, unless you want to mistreat small folk.

Who says they signed up? My guess is they were conscripted in because Cersei is less picky about boots on the ground after Wildfiring half the city. 

• Like 1

Ed Sheeran aside I liked the episode, specially Euron's throne scene (he acted way more like Jack Sparrow than CRAZY (yet stern) MAN).

I agree with Pete regarding the soldiers, I think the point of the scene was that after all those years of war and shit most of what's left of King's Landing armies are boys... boys of summer.

The ending also fell flat to me. I feel that Emilia Clarke is way below everyone else acting-wise, harsh contrast between her and both Sophie and Kit, who I feel that grew their acting chops the most.

• Like 2

100% agree about Clarke's acting not keeping pace with the others.  Which is odd because she was the clear standout back in the beginning.  But everybody else got worlds better (even if some, like Kit Harrington, haven't translated it to their work away from the show), and she didn't.

I imagine a big factor in that is that the other young actors got to spend the previous 6 seasons sharing scenes with a litany of great actors in Westeros and learning from them, while she got parked in Essos without a lot of help.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Who says they signed up? My guess is they were conscripted in because Cersei is less picky about boots on the ground after Wildfiring half the city. 

The reason I don't think they were conscripted is that you don't outfit draftees in expensive ass armor when you are struggling to feed them.  That armor is ornate, and probably has to be custom fitted, you think the Lannisters give a set to every man of fighting age?  No, the vast majority of their forces would be dressed in cheap leather armor if they had any armor at all.  Most of the people fighting in these wars are dead broke and work on some random lord's land.  Most of those people don't even have swords, let alone full sets of armor given out by members of the ruling class.  The Lannisters are Wardens of the West, they have a standing army of professional soldiers, those are the people who would be wearing that armor.  The only real reason to join that army is if you survive you get to rape and pillage the losers.  The Lannisters entire war strategy is to brutalize their opponents so badly that everyone thinks twice before starting a conflict with them.  They raped, pillaged, and burned their way through The Riverlands, led by The Mountain...the Lannister forces aren't there to make friends with the locals.  Like I said before, if you have the skill to be a soldier, but aren't interested in plundering, there are systems in place for you to do that.  You can become a squire with the hope of being knighted, and you defend a lord's house, travel the Seven Kingdoms fighting off bandits, or becoming a traveling hedge knight and do odd jobs throughout Westeros.  Becoming a knight is more lucrative, you are more respected, and is pretty much the only chance for upward mobility, but a knight is only as good as his honor.  

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

At least she had Iain Glen with her most of the time.

Interestingly enough, he was listed in the opening credits, but unless I missed it, I didn't see him at all.

19 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The reason I don't think they were conscripted is that you don't outfit draftees in expensive ass armor when you are struggling to feed them.  That armor is ornate, and probably has to be custom fitted, you think the Lannisters give a set to every man of fighting age?  No, the vast majority of their forces would be dressed in cheap leather armor if they had any armor at all.  Most of the people fighting in these wars are dead broke and work on some random lord's land.  Most of those people don't even have swords, let alone full sets of armor given out by members of the ruling class.  The Lannisters are Wardens of the West, they have a standing army of professional soldiers, those are the people who would be wearing that armor.  The only real reason to join that army is if you survive you get to rape and pillage the losers.  The Lannisters entire war strategy is to brutalize their opponents so badly that everyone thinks twice before starting a conflict with them.  They raped, pillaged, and burned their way through The Riverlands, led by The Mountain...the Lannister forces aren't there to make friends with the locals.  Like I said before, if you have the skill to be a soldier, but aren't interested in plundering, there are systems in place for you to do that.  You can become a squire with the hope of being knighted, and you defend a lord's house, travel the Seven Kingdoms fighting off bandits, or becoming a traveling hedge knight and do odd jobs throughout Westeros.  Becoming a knight is more lucrative, you are more respected, and is pretty much the only chance for upward mobility, but a knight is only as good as his honor.  

Honestly I feel this is mostly a "dudes have to look cool on the tv" case, like you said only Lords (major and minor) would be rocking full plate like that, maybe a couple of hedge knights too but mostly chain for those fellas and all the infantry would be rocking leather or nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all...

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Are you trying to say that Grey Worm and the hacker woman in the last two Fast movies didn't help Clarke become a better actor?

Nathalie Emmanuel is a very pretty woman with a delightful voice, and Jacob Anderson is funny as hell away from the show.

That's all I got.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Most of the people fighting in these wars are dead broke and work on some random lord's land.  Most of those people don't even have swords, let alone full sets of armor given out by members of the ruling class.

Maybe they are so depleted they are pushing their spoiled ass rich nephews and cousins into the fray. 

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ed Sheeran didn't bother me because I didn't know it was him.  I've heard the songs and seen the name but I don't think I've ever seen an interview/video of his and if I have I wasn't paying much attention to it.  

Now if Pitbull had showed up...  

As one of Ramsey's leftover hounds? 

• Like 2

Last season started off questionable and ended with awesome, so I'm willing to overlook special guest star Ed Sheeran being in the opener.

I actually see it as a good sign.  The finale should be fucking bonkers..

12 hours ago, AxB said:

He was in the cells at the Citadel, he spoke to Sam.

What?! Really? Fuck. I must have dozed off and not even realized it.

Now I wonder what else I missed.

I'm honestly wondering that if the Iron Isles had enough people and resources to build 1000 ships and crew them *after* Theon and Yara took enough ships and men to crew them around the world to pick up the entire Dothraki Horde and Unsullied ranks and sail them back, how the fuck aren't they ruling the world?  That's a LOT of people and resources.

• Like 1

The Iron Islands entire culture is based on being seafaring pirates.  Nothing really grows on the Iron Islands, nor do they actually produce anything worth trading.  They essentially have to go out and steal everything that they need, so they have the ships.  In the books they are estimated to have 500 ships and 20,000 men to work them.  That doesn't count Euron and his fleet who had been exiled.  The other thing is that they have thralls, who are essentially indentured servants, who have been taken in battle.  So, they can raise their ranks pretty fast.  You also have to take into account that other than the men who were with Theon, they didn't lose many people in the War of the Five Kings.  Theon, who thought he should keep Winterfell, is the only one who really tried to hold any of the land they took when they invaded The North.  The rest of them ran in, stole everything, took thralls, and returned to the Iron Islands, and everyone else was too preoccupied with the war to fight back.   

• Like 1