DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

All power to the Twitter mob and everything, but I see everyone acting so angry and outraged over David Benioff and DB Weiss on Twitter like they should be in jail or some such. When all these same fans probably ate up their product for years. Like I see all these reactions "how could they do this?! How could they ruin Martin's work? How could they forsake fantasy genre and material?"

Well, I mean it worked didn't it? The Twitter outrage is condemning them for their instincts and decisions when pretty much every decision you now in hindsight loathed that they voiced at that AFF panel paid off. No one other than book fans really had these complaints for years. 

Edited by TheVileOne

I can understand the theorhetical desire to not go overboard on fantasy elements on a TV show, both for budget reasons and to make the elements you use more special. 

But not on a TV shown that is built on dragons and ice zombies. Let alone one that comes with a dedicated fan base. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I can understand the theorhetical desire to not go overboard on fantasy elements on a TV show, both for budget reasons and to make the elements you use more special. 

But not on a TV shown that is built on dragons and ice zombies. Let alone one that comes with a dedicated fan base. 

OK, but no one had anything to say about that for almost the entire run the show was on.

In the Marvel Netflix shows, a lot of things like this were the first thing to go. It always kind of annoyed me that we could never see Shou-Lao, K'un L'un or like, Iron Fist actually wearing a costume. If they completely remove the supernatural and costumed elements out of Moon Knight, I will be pissed.

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

LOL Benioff and Weiss are off of Star Wars.

"Before we get started on anything else we'd like to talk about the third rape scene."

"The...third...what?"

"Did you not read our draft? Dave pull up that powerpoint."

"Which file? Reyrape.ppt?"

"No.  No. PoerapesMazKanata.ppt."

"Guys..."

"We're fired, aren't we?

"You're fired."

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Well, I mean it worked didn't it? The Twitter outrage is condemning them for their instincts and decisions when pretty much every decision you now in hindsight loathed that they voiced at that AFF panel paid off. No one other than book fans really had these complaints for years. 

This is a fraudulent argument.  You can't complain that people who didn't realize what was missing didn't complain about missing it.  There was a decent amount of pushback on their writing after they moved past the books by more than just book readers. Their instincts seem to move straight to sexual violence or just plain nonsense.  The show was good for the most part, but the parts people hated were pretty much hated by everybody.  That interview pretty much showed that they didn't have much of a clue outside of things that were already plotted out.  When they tried to fill in the gaps on their own, they generally came up with something that most people weren't satisfied with, not just book readers.  Everything lacked a level of nuance that was hard to ignore.

28 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is a fraudulent argument.  You can't complain that people who didn't realize what was missing didn't complain about missing it.  There was a decent amount of pushback on their writing after they moved past the books by more than just book readers. Their instincts seem to move straight to sexual violence or just plain nonsense.  The show was good for the most part, but the parts people hated were pretty much hated by everybody.  That interview pretty much showed that they didn't have much of a clue outside of things that were already plotted out.  When they tried to fill in the gaps on their own, they generally came up with something that most people weren't satisfied with, not just book readers.  Everything lacked a level of nuance that was hard to ignore.

This is a well-crafted post.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

And there was a hell of a lot of pushback to the pushback from their supporters and even this forum. 

Well, they're Netflix's problem now. 

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/29/game-of-thrones-prequel-2/

Long Night spinoff got cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It must have been going bad if they decided "nah, we're good." 

Honestly, I think they set it too far in the past.  There would be Starks, but none of the other houses we've come to care about would matter at all.  They might be able to do the Lann the Clever story when the first Lannister cons the Casterly's out of Casterly Rock.  But there wouldn't be any Targaryens, or Baratheons in Westeros for thousands of years.  The Tullys and Tyrells were minor houses at that point.  The Arryns don't take power for about 2000 years after the show is set.  The entire Rhoynish ethnic group doesn't make it to Westeros for about 7,000 years after the show would take place.  The Greyjoys may be around, but they don't really come into power until after Aegon's Conquest.  So, sure we get to visit the world again, but not really.  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, I think they set it too far in the past.  There would be Starks, but none of the other houses we've come to care about would matter at all.  They might be able to do the Lann the Clever story when the first Lannister cons the Casterly's out of Casterly Rock.  But there wouldn't be any Targaryens, or Baratheons in Westeros for thousands of years.  The Tullys and Tyrells were minor houses at that point.  The Arryns don't take power for about 2000 years after the show is set.  The entire Rhoynish ethnic group doesn't make it to Westeros for about 7,000 years after the show would take place.  The Greyjoys may be around, but they don't really come into power until after Aegon's Conquest.  So, sure we get to visit the world again, but not really.  

You're probably right.   Not that the show couldn't be entertaining because of course it could be entertaining.  However, it's still a business and the general public wants to invest time in the things they know so they will go with House of the Dragons instead and it'll look cool and look familiar etc.. 

The reason you can't do a series about White Walkers and the Long Night, Game of Thrones basically butchered the White Walkers and made them absolute trash. The Long Winter was trash. The whole conflict the show had built up for eight seasons was absolute useless trash. The White Walkers were cake. The Night King was a pushover. They've been ruined for all time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The reason you can't do a series about White Walkers and the Long Night, Game of Thrones basically butchered the White Walkers and made them absolute trash. The Long Winter was trash. The whole conflict the show had built up for eight seasons was absolute useless trash. The White Walkers were cake. The Night King was a pushover. They've been ruined for all time.

All power to the Twitter mob and everything, but I see everyone acting so angry and outraged over David Benioff and DB Weiss on Twitter like they should be in jail or some such. When all these same fans probably ate up their product for years. Like I see all these reactions "how could they do this?! How could they ruin Martin's work? How could they forsake fantasy genre and material?"

So, which one is it?   

14 hours ago, supremebve said:

So, which one is it?   

I thought the last two seasons were easily hot garbage, especially what happened to Little Finger. It's the epitome of Benioff's terrible screenwriting going back to disappointments like Troy and X-Men Origins Wolverine, which is the worst Wolverine movie. 

But from an outsider's standpoint, what Benioff and Weiss did as far as dialing down the fantasy elements and making it more appealing to soccer moms and NFL players generally worked. The show was a cultural phenomenon. It was an overrated cultural phenomenon nonetheless, but it still was a runaway success and got them a huge payday from Netflix not to mention tons of awards. I simply think its a little hypocritical for the same fans who went gaga over the show until the last two seasons or so to now turn on them all of the sudden now that they know how the sausage is made. 

Like people are genuinely angry that they let the actors performances sort of define the characters rather than their own writing. Why are people upset about that? For years all I could hear about is how much people are falling in love with and basically idolizing a lot of these characters from Arya to Daenerys, Davos, Theon, Tyrion, etc. I think there's plenty to dislike about the show, but that seems like it was a  smart move from the perspective of the fans of the show if the answer was it gave the audience appealing characters they fell in love with. 

I always thought the writing for the show was flawed. But amazing production values and some admittedly strong acting elevated the series and got people to overlook the problems until it got to the end and they had to wrap this up. 

They are getting rich and respected on the back of work GRRM did, and work the cast did, and a lot of what they did contribute (like not doing Lady Stoneheart, and Grand Maester Marwyn not existing) made the story worse, not better. Castigation is their just desserts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Are they to blame for killing off Ser Barristan Selmy too? 

100% that might have been my tipping point.  That is when I stopped defending the mishaps and started wondering if these people understood the story they were telling.  Barristan getting killed by a bunch of noname randos is about as nonsensical of a death in any show/movie/book/play/telenovela/puppet show/kabuki theater...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2019 at 1:04 AM, TheVileOne said:

. The Night King was a pushover.

It took one of the best assassins on the planet to get the drop on him and lots of people died providing the distraction that gave that person the opportunity to make the strike.

The time lapse devoted to the war wasn't as long as I'd have like it to have been, but I wouldn't say the White King was a pushover.  I just think that the event crunch killed the gravitas of the moment.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1