DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

There was a woman who did sail West many years ago, with a boat and crew she paid for with three stolen dragon eggs (dun dun dun) but I'm drawing a blank on her name.

One popular fan theory is that she's the weird woman with the gold face thing that gave Dany advice.

Sothoryos is never mentioned in the show. And they cut out the exiled Prince of the Summer Islands as well (he was deposed and spent the next ten years hanging around King Robert's court trying to persuade him to invade and restore the crown; Stannis and Jon Arryn never found room in the budget for it. Intentionally).

There was a famous Western exploration in about 100 AC that was never heard from again. But in 180 AC someone sailed to the Eastern edge of Essos, to Asshai by the Shadow, and they swore that a delapidated version of the exploration's flagship was decaying in the harbour there.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There was a woman who did sail West many years ago, with a boat and crew she paid for with three stolen dragon eggs (dun dun dun) but I'm drawing a blank on her name.

One popular fan theory is that she's the weird woman with the gold face thing that gave Dany advice.

Elissa Farman

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

West of Westeros is advanced civilization that's been monitoring Westeros for some time now. They don't directly interfere, but they do allow tourism there. If people sail out that way and never come back, it's because they're captured by submarines or a superior navy.

That's right.

Westeros is Westworld.

Holy fuck.

Dany was a guest playing out her fantasy this whole time (ala the Man in Black) and Jon (a host) killing her happened at the same time as the Delores/Ford moment?

Yeah... I can run with that. Why the hell not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recall reading somewhere that the planet of Game of Thrones was like a "super-Earth" and larger than the regular planet Earth. Might've been the ASOIAF wiki.

For something positive for a change, I truly believe this image of the dragon wings behind Dany is one of the coolest shots ever filmed for a TV or movie period. Like this is some genuinely brilliant stuff here.

ShabbyDisgustingCricket-size_restricted.

• Like 9

I legit thought the dragon wings opening was about an par with the last shot of the rat in the Departed. It was that kind of "hit you over the head with this very obvious thing" type of shot.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, piranesi said:

It's a nice shot. But I would argue it's beaten a dozen times in almost any episode of anything produced by Bryan Fuller.

The last season of HANNIBAL alone probably has half a dozen shots of people sprouting literal or symbolic wings that are more powerful.

This is a nice shot, but also kind of flat and emotionless.  Like, you can tell it was composed by dudes who aren’t necessarily visual artists, who don’t know how to give an image power.

I had this exact conversation with my best friend as we were watching it.  He looked at it and said, "wow, that's an amazing shot."  I looked at him and deadpanned, "yeah, and it was so subtle."  It can be both a great shot and ham-handed and completely unnecessary.  

• Like 1

I thought it was a good shot, impressive but not, like, legendary.

I also found it interesting they basically went all Riefenstahl on basically that whole sequence. Again, subtly was not a strong suit there.

Does anyone listen to the Nerd Soup podcast?

They spoke about a theory going around that D&D turned down longer seasons because they wanted to be able to sign on for Star Wars. If GoT ran 10 ep seasons for the last 2 seasons they wouldn't have been available so they made the call to shorten things despite HBO wanting full length.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Does anyone listen to the Nerd Soup podcast?

They spoke about a theory going around that D&D turned down longer seasons because they wanted to be able to sign on for Star Wars. If GoT ran 10 ep seasons for the last 2 seasons they wouldn't have been available so they made the call to shorten things despite HBO wanting full length.

Not quite that wording, but here's what David Benioff did say:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/09/game-of-thrones-season-8-showrunners-interview/

You told me back when filming season 3 that you were thinking of doing the final season as three movies because you couldn’t imagine pulling off what you and George had in mind on a television budget. Do you feel like you’ve been able to do what you envisioned years ago?

WEISS: Yes. To their credit, they put their money where their mouths are — literally stuffed their mouth full of million-dollar bills which don’t exist anymore. They said, “We’ll give you the resources to make this what it needs to be, and if what it needs to be is a summer tentpole-size spectacle in places, then that’s what it will be.”
BENIOFF: HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season. We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that. As much as they wanted more, they understood that this is where the story ends.

https://ew.com/article/2015/03/11/game-thrones-end/

“This is the hard part of what we do,” sighs HBO programming president Michael Lombardo. “We started this journey with David and Dan. It’s their vision. Would I love the show to go 10 years as both a fan and a network executive? Absolutely…If they weren’t comfortable going beyond seven seasons, I trust them implicitly and trust that’s the right decision—as horrifying as that is to me.”

George RR Martin has made statements saying that the show could've gone on several more seasons but Benioff and Weiss were basically done with it and were ready to move on. I've heard rumors they wanted to be done with it and move onto Star Wars. I've yet to see it confirmed anywhere they rushed through the end of the show they'd be free to do Star Wars next. 

"I don't know," Martin said. "Ask David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] when they come through. We could have gone to 11, 12, 13 seasons, but I guess they wanted a life.”

Edited by TheVileOne

I wonder if there was ever an option to let D&D go do their thing and let GoT continue with a different showrunner?  Maybe the contracts made that impossible - I have no idea how that stuff works - but if D&D already had the SW gig signed, sealed, and delivered, I'd think they'd be fine with letting someone else take over.  Even after season 7, I'd think that if someone else took over and the ending didn't go well, the blame would be on the new person, not D&D.  Seems pretty win-win for them.  Whereas now they're known as the guys who finished things up hamfistedly.

The irony being that their initial Star Wars press junket will now be loaded with vaguely critical "What did the GoT experience teach you and what would you do differently now?" sorts of questions--to say nothing of the lack of excitement now attached to their involvement. Oh well.

Anyway, despite my better judgment it seems I'm going to watch this whole series again. Already. Everyone looks so young.

3 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

The irony being that their initial Star Wars press junket will now be loaded with vaguely critical "What did the GoT experience teach you and what would you do differently now?" sorts of questions--to say nothing of the lack of excitement now attached to their involvement. Oh well.

Anyway, despite my better judgment it seems I'm going to watch this whole series again. Already. Everyone looks so young.

I hope they get some baited questions from this nice lady at the New York Times. 

15 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

George RR Martin has made statements saying that the show could've gone on several more seasons but Benioff and Weiss were basically done with it and were ready to move on. I've heard rumors they wanted to be done with it and move onto Star Wars. I've yet to see it confirmed anywhere they rushed through the end of the show they'd be free to do Star Wars next. 

The quote *REALLY* reads as GRRM saying, "Please finish my homework for me."

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thought the new council meeting was amongst the most entertaining part of this season? Everyone was an oddball/worst choice for their seat but the repertoire was fantastic.

A spinoff around this group would be great; just them talking it out, no violence, lot of facepalm or speechless reactions, etc. The Thick of It Westeros edition.*

*Capaldi cast for one of the missing seats of course.

• Like 3