DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Not that significant. I think I remember that Tyrion said it was about 3 weeks.

I don't think he said a number, just "few weeks" or something like that. 

Before season 7 I would've said "had to be at least several weeks for all the lords to travel all the way to King's Landing", but...

Edited by Brian Fowler

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't think he said a number, just "few weeks" or something like that. 

Before season 7 I would've said "had to be at least several weeks for all the lords to travel all the way to King's Landing", but...

I think you're right about a few weeks, but I always interpret a couple as 2, few as 3, and a handful as more than that. That's just me. YMMV.

Oh, one thing I didn't mention last night that I was thinking about during the show: they gave Peter Dinklage the material he needed for him to chase one more Emmy, and he went HARD after it. Fantastic couple of scenes, especially his delivery of "And you slaughtered a city" and the first conversation with Jon.

Dinklage was (not surprisingly) great; but I think it's worth pointing out how good Emilia Clarke was at selling something that--if her interviews are to be believed--legitimately stunned her. (And I think it's fair to say she may have actively disliked/disagreed with some of it.) Considering how maligned she was early in the show, it's pretty impressive how the consensus has shifted that, despite criticism of her arc, no one faults her for the portrayal.

If we take the pseudo-historical allegory somewhat seriously, maybe, instead of the aftermath of the War of the Roses, we should look to the Holy Roman Empire as the model of a nonhereditary monarchy. You can choose whomever you want... as long as you want a Hapsburg (or Stark, as it were).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

But they skipped it.  Probably, as with most of the issues this season, because they didn't give themselves enough episodes.

"We're out of time!"  - Tony Schiavone.   That was not just season 8 but also season 7 which oddly received rave reviews.  I had the same issues with the pacing last season but I thought well Martin told them the ending so it'll all work itself out which is kind of true in a way but there needed to be much more time for this to feel satisfying. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Dinklage was (not surprisingly) great; but I think it's worth pointing out how good Emilia Clarke was at selling something that--if her interviews are to be believed--legitimately stunned her. (And I think it's fair to say she may have actively disliked/disagreed with some of it.) Considering how maligned she was early in the show, it's pretty impressive how the consensus has shifted that, despite criticism of her arc, no one faults her for the portrayal.

You know how, when they were putting the Harry Potter movie together, as soon as Alan Rickman was confirmed as Severus Snape JK told him the character's big secret (which wasn't even in the books at that point) so he could play the role in such a way as the twist would be believeable? D&D should have told Emilia Clarke five years ago that this was where she was headed. Daenerys was played as a fundamentally altruistic character for far too long. If she had raged with anger when Ser Barristan died, showed us that she couldn't cope with the loss of a loyal servant then (they did show that she was sociopathic towards allies who betrayed her in the first two seasons), her subsequent behaviour might have been more comprehensible.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EVA said:

A) You guys are having to carry all the water on this for Weiss & Benioff, which is not how good storytelling works.

B). This issue isn't whether it makes sense as a plot point without being shown, the issue is that it would have been an interesting and highly significant character beat to see Grey Worm work all this out for himself.  This is basically the denouement of his character arc (what little of one he was given):  He's finally free to choose for himself, so what's he going to do with it?  How does he react to this untenable situation he's been thrust into?  What's that experience like for him?  What does he really want out of this?  That's the shit that makes stories great, not plot math.

But they skipped it.  Probably, as with most of the issues this season, because they didn't give themselves enough episodes.

THANK YOU!

Seeing Grey Worm have that internal debate, trying to work out and understand what it means to be free, to CHOOSE FOR HIMSELF was something that could have been incredible. Waving it away off screen was frustrating as hell.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxB said:

You know how, when they were putting the Harry Potter movie together, as soon as Alan Rickman was confirmed as Severus Snape JK told him the character's big secret (which wasn't even in the books at that point) so he could play the role in such a way as the twist would be believeable? D&D should have told Emilia Clarke five years ago that this was where she was headed. Daenerys was played as a fundamentally altruistic character for far too long. If she had raged with anger when Ser Barristan died, showed us that she couldn't cope with the loss of a loyal servant then (they did show that she was sociopathic towards allies who betrayed her in the first two seasons), her subsequent behaviour might have been more comprehensible.

I’m reminded of Laurence Olivier’s famous “It’s called acting quip” when measures are taken to ensure a real performance. (Quite the contradiction in terms.) Mostly I’m reminded because Clarke just said D&D told her to think of Dany as Lawrence of Arabia—a would be savior who is doomed by that very complex. 

If I wanted to play devil’s advocate—I don’t!—I’d note that maybe Dany snapping justifies a sudden change in acting perspective. (And, better fan theories aside, we are told by the writers that she did basically go over the edge in that one moment.)

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

THANK YOU!

Seeing Grey Worm have that internal debate, trying to work out and understand what it means to be free, to CHOOSE FOR HIMSELF was something that could have been incredible. Waving it away off screen was frustrating as hell.

I can’t buy that a leaderless Greyworm and Dothraki tribe would’ve taken Jon prisoner either.

I thought the finale itself was pretty satisfying. I think they obviously skipped a lot of narrative and character steps over the last two years (season 7 was pretty easily my least favorite) but it all mostly wound up in the right places.

• Like 4

For the most part I like the Finale. I think everyone ended up where they needed to be. The season just needed an extra episode of Mad Queen Dany, a more satisfying end for the Lannisters and more details about what the Unsullied/Dothraki were doing without a dominant leader. Would the Dothraki Horde really just settle down and accept Grey Worm as leader?

On a greedy note I would have had Jon ask Tormund something like "Where do we go now?" only for Tormund to laugh and shout "You know nothin Jon Snow!" as the last line of the series.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Would the Dothraki Horde really just settle down and accept Grey Worm as leader?

Unlikely. They share no language. Dothraki speak Dothraki, Grey Worm speaks Low Valyrian and the common tongue of Westeros.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm actually surprised this board isn't too heated about the finale overall.   Twitter was in complete meltdown and over on RT the finale is the worst reviewed episode of the series. 

It doesn't bother me that much. I never had much emotional attachment to the series. Season 8 makes me very happy about that. 

My main thought afterwards was that we all misread Bran and he's been playing everyone for a few seasons now. If someone can see all of history and good chunks of the future, has shown to be capable of shaping events and moving pieces to where they need to be (albeit not as frequently as one would have assumed he would) and somehow at the end of the story ends up as king I think it is fair to wonder if not assume that was not an accident. Granted I'm too lazy to go rewatch the last few seasons (since he got his powers) to see how well supported that thought is, but I don't trust him.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, username said:

My main thought afterwards was that we all misread Bran and he's been playing everyone for a few seasons now. If someone can see all of history and good chunks of the future, has shown to be capable of shaping events and moving pieces to where they need to be (albeit not as frequently as one would have assumed he would) and somehow at the end of the story ends up as king I think it is fair to wonder if not assume that was not an accident. Granted I'm too lazy to go rewatch the last few seasons (since he got his powers) to see how well supported that thought is, but I don't trust him.

#BranknewKingsLandingwouldburn

• Like 1