DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

4 minutes ago, keith_h said:

As a joke I was kind of hoping the last shot of the series would be the Night King respawning somewhere in the north... post credits maybe. Just blue eyes shooting open and then the show cuts to black.

I was actually waiting for something like that when they were traveling the forest..  like some kind of Night King imagery or the symbol they use..    I didn't need it to happen but it would have warmed my heart. 

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Maybe the baby from Craster still being alive as a toddler White Walker.

Wouldn't it have exploded with the rest of em when the Night King died?

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wouldn't it have exploded with the rest of em when the Night King died?

Presumably, yes. But, come on, what's scarier than a super powered toddler?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Presumably, yes. But, come on, what's scarier than a super powered toddler?

A super powered emotional teenager going through puberty?

Am I the only person who got the vibe that being King now is mostly a ceremonial position given who they gasve it to and the real power lies with the Small Council?

In the ned Jon Snow gets to be both Maester Aemmon and Mance Rayder rolled int oone

James

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Am I the only person who got the vibe that being King now is mostly a ceremonial position given who they gasve it to and the real power lies with the Small Council?

Not quite that extreme. But power is shifting. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I liked the ending. The first half with Jon needing to come to terms with what needed to be done was powerful, and the second half was the solid politics needed to keep everyone from trying to kill each other immediately. Don't think they did everything needed to get there perfectly, but ti was enough for me.

I do wish one of those upcoming spinoffs was following Arya exploring uncharted lands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EVA said:

Grey Worm has such a weird arc in this episode.  Goes from being merciless and taking no prisoners on behalf of Dany...to literally taking prisoners (of the people that conspired to kill Dany, no less!) and standing around, getting dunked on by literally everyone at that meeting.  And then, after becoming a genocidal asshole for two episodes, he gets a weirdly heroic ending, as the Unsullied are sailing off to protect Missendei's island.

Just all over the place.

I thought about that after the penultimate episode. It was going to be a major plothole once Dany was gone. You have the Dothraki and the Unsullied who have been with Dany forever and now crazy ass Grey Worm w/ an insatiable blood thirst. Jon does the deed and then Grey Worm is...sorta pissed? What in the entire fuck? I watched these motherfuckers come all this way with her...to go to Naath? How did Jon avoid getting the Catelyn Stark treatment once he was found and all hell breaking loose?

Alright then, showrunners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Where did the Dothraki go? Did they just remember the Night King killed them all?

Offering the Unsullied the Reach was a smart play. It would be empty again in two generations' time... not sure they'd have accepted Bronn as Lord Paramount though.

I knew Brienne would end up as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Not sure what happened to Mandon Moore's page, or Meryn Trant's. Or who the other five members are.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, Raziel said:

I'm, actually really ok with that ending.

I am also very ok with that ending.  Bran is interested in being king, but not necessarily in rulership.  so the people who really run Westeros were sitting around that table right before the credits rolled.  Finally, King's Landing has some competent heads of state.

There is not enough love for the real world gaffes inserted into the script:  Sam's suggestion of democracy or the title of the chronicle being A Song of Ice & Fire.

One of the writers must haunt this board and saw our blistering criticism of Jon & Ghost's parting.  That reunion was all kinds of tearful.  Nice to see that someone found a copy of White Fang and read it.

I am looking forward to the ADVENTURES OF ARYA STARK spin-off.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:08 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

With the way everything was setup at the end, I hope the spin-off is set in the future, where fantasy meets cyberpunk. 

There is nothing that can't be improved by the insertion of airships and sky pirates.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:10 AM, EVA said:

Grey Worm has such a weird arc in this episode.  Goes from being merciless and taking no prisoners on behalf of Dany...to literally taking prisoners (of the people that conspired to kill Dany, no less!) and standing around, getting dunked on by literally everyone at that meeting.  And then, after becoming a genocidal asshole for two episodes, he gets a weirdly heroic ending, as the Unsullied are sailing off to protect Missendei's island.

Eh, he just saw the love of his life decapitated in front of his eyes and her last words were "Burn this fucking city to ashes," so he went on a vengeance kick and then sailed off to protect her people once the shooting stopped.  

A bit uneven, but it was interesting to note how war weary everyone was by the end credits, even the Unsulled and those fuckers LOVE to fight..  I was okay with how it all went down.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There is not enough love for the real world gaffes inserted into the script:  Sam's suggestion of democracy or the title of the chronicle being A Song of Ice & Fire.

The best part of that was Sansa's amused look of derision. 

7 hours ago, EVA said:

Speaking of coin, who the fuck hired Bronn to be Master of Coin?  It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense that A) anyone would hire him to do it, or B) that he would agree to do it, if anybody even asked him.  His only experience with coin is earning it by killing folks and spending it on whores.

Tyrion literally had to explain how interest and money lending worked in season 1.

1 minute ago, RolandTHTG said:

So we've spent years building to the big secret of Jon's parentage and rightful claim to the throne...and its totally irrelevant.

Even Varys' letters to this effect from the last episode was forgotten.

I mean... that's one take? 

Another take is that it drove Sansa to tell Tyrion and Tyrion to tell Varys and Varys to betray Dany, which that, combined with the sheer threat of Jon (who she loved), helped to drive Dany the rest of the way over the edge. Then, at the very end, it was part of what made it seem like Jon had a choice when so many others didn't. So it was actually key on multiple levels to the finish to the story they told.

It just wasn't, you know, the story in and of itself.

I get your frustration. I just don't think your statement was entirely accurate or fair to the story they did tell. 

54 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I was disappointed it didn’t end with something like...

Tyrion: Interesting... It doesn’t appear to be finished.

Samwell: Well me, and Podrick we’re going to get together, and finish it.

Tyrion: Have you ever been involved in something like this?

Samwell: Not really... But me, and Podrick have worked on a few plays.

Tyrion: I don’t believe that counts as a qualification for something as grand as this.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I'm not really sure yet how I feel or what I think, whether to treat this as the ending or an ending. I'm probably most intrigued by ideas surrounding subversion and consistency and confirmation, and whether a work that is expected to do the anti-fantasy thing is, in fact, subversive by going for an ending that is both (realistically) blandly politically uniformitarian and very LOTR also. The corrupting thing is burned with magic fire as the hero who never wanted to be a hero or powerful fails but succeeds in that failing and then is whisked away to a land beyond because this place is just too trauma laden and can't be home anymore and then Arya literally sails west while dynastic politics continues more or less the same as ever while someone writes the whole frame narrative/book which is how the story has come down to us. There are very large essays to write about all that, but I can't quite get it straight in my own head.

Also, can't wait for the sequel set ages in the future, when a mystical threat from beyond the wall rises, a name out of legend that the people take to be myth and metaphor because an undead ice zombie king with the last name Snow, come on.

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I thought about that after the penultimate episode. It was going to be a major plothole once Dany was gone. You have the Dothraki and the Unsullied who have been with Dany forever and now crazy ass Grey Worm w/ an insatiable blood thirst. Jon does the deed and then Grey Worm is...sorta pissed? What in the entire fuck? I watched these motherfuckers come all this way with her...to go to Naath? How did Jon avoid getting the Catelyn Stark treatment once he was found and all hell breaking loose?

Alright then, showrunners.

Yeah, they conveniently did a time skip over the period where the Unsullied and Dothraki reacted.  I wonder exactly what Jon did after leaving the throne room.  Did he immediately go and confess?  With no body and no murder weapon?  He could've said that Dany melted down the throne and flew off (she's randomly flown away before, so it's not implausible).  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I'm still confused , how exactly did they know Jon killed Dani when there was no body?
Please don't tell me Jon was dumb enough to confesss

James

That's what I wondered as well and I took it as Jon was just that dumb to confess.