DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I read the novellas. Bloodraven (real name Brynden Rivers; Blackfish Tully (real name Brynden Tully; Blackfish comes from his being the black sheep of the family) is named after him) is a may or may not be Three Eyed Crow in the books. But they only just made it to the cave at the end of Dance, so it's too soon. Some people insist Coldhands is Bloodraven.

The 3-eyed crow/raven specifically tells Meera that his name is Brynden in Dance.  That is Bloodraven, Coldhands is still up for debate, but not Bloodraven is generally not part of that debate any longer.

19 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If we're talking about book stuff we didn't get, who was the guy from the Feast For Crows prologue? 

victim, or perpetrator?

It's a faceless man. 

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Presumably a Faceless Man, probably Jaqen or someone else using the same face

Pate's description of The Alchemist's face in AFFC matches the new face Arya sees Jaqen adopt after he clears his debt with her in ACOK (curly black hair, fat cheeks, a scar) so it is widely presumed to be Jaqen (or at least the same Faceless Man who was Jaqen when Arya met him)

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"No one." Of course. Duh. I'm a dummy.

Was it ever made clear what they were after? Or is that one of the many threads Martin left dangling? 

that'll take a new book [that we're never gonna get]

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Since you mention it, is there something about Pate I might have missed? As far as I could tell, he was just a cat who got mixed up in some shady stuff and got dead because of it. 

Yep. Standard GRRM unlucky prologue jobber

Edited by BobbyWhioux

Right. I mean, theoretically there is probably another 2,000 pages to go in this series, so who knows.

Speaking of being dense... I read all five books without ever consciously realizing that the new POV character in every prologue and epilogue was going to die at the end of it. Like, I read them all and noticed all their deaths, but didn't put together that everyone was doomed until I saw it mentioned somewhere online and just went "oh my God I'm dumb"

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Right. I mean, theoretically there is probably another 2,000 pages to go in this series, so who knows.

Speaking of being dense... I read all five books without ever consciously realizing that the new POV character in every prologue and epilogue was going to die at the end of it. Like, I read them all and noticed all their deaths, but didn't put together that everyone was doomed until I saw it mentioned somewhere online and just went "oh my God I'm dumb"

You've just passed this feeling of stupidity on to me. Well done. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

You'd be surprised how many of those YouTube channels were doing this before the show.  Honestly, George R.R. Martin wrote the books but there has been an online network of people breaking down and analyzing the books for a decent amount of time before the show ever existed.  Honestly, do you think Benioff and Weiss figured out R+L=J on their own?  There are chapter by chapter breakdowns of those books online that scour every minute detail of the text.  I'm someone who has read the books multiple times, and would have missed probably half of the stuff if I wasn't an extremely online reader.  For instance, Bran studied under Bloodraven, to become the new 3-eyed crow.  That character has been mentioned once before Bran met him.  He was mentioned by Maester Aemon, as Bloodraven was sent to the wall at the same time he was, and was accompanied there by Ser Duncan the Tall.  The rest of what we could know about that character is from the Dunk and Egg novellas.  I had context for who that character was and why he was significant, not because I had read those novellas at the time, but because I was listening to podcasts and watching YouTube videos about the books.  

Are you suggesting the fans figured out that answer for them and Martin didn't just tell them the answer?

Just now, BobbyWhioux said:

Don't worry.  It wasn't until the show came out and made it explicit that I realized 1 of the 3 from the AGOT prologue technically survived it

Well, not the POV character through

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Are you suggesting the fans figured out that answer for them and Martin didn't just tell them the answer?

The story goes that when they approached him about optioning the series, he asked them who Jon's parents were as a test

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The story goes that when they approached him about optioning the series, he asked them who Jon's parents were as a test

OK. I cite that's possible But, is this a true story or a fan urban legend?

Edited by TheVileOne

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

OK. I cite that's possible But, is this a true story or a fan urban legend?

I think that Weiss and Benioff told it at one point.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Are you asking about readers or Benioff and Weiss?  

As far as readers go, I think they figured it out.  Once you know, you'll find that it is pretty much spelled out for you in the books.  It is almost too obvious in a reread.  I think the first time through it is easy to miss because you don't know to look for it, but Ned thinks about it a lot in the first book.  The people who are super into these books overanalyze every single word, I'm sure they figured it out.

Benioff and Weiss may have figured it out, but I bet they found it on the internet.

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Are you asking about readers or Benioff and Weiss?  

As far as readers go, I think they figured it out.  Once you know, you'll find that it is pretty much spelled out for you in the books.  It is almost too obvious in a reread.  I think the first time through it is easy to miss because you don't know to look for it, but Ned thinks about it a lot in the first book.  The people who are super into these books overanalyze every single word, I'm sure they figured it out.

Benioff and Weiss may have figured it out, but I bet they found it on the internet.

Sorry, for them, I mean Benioff and Weiss, and did they figure it out due to online fan theories beforehand?

I'm pretty sure that if D&D had figured it out themselves, they'd have been boasting about it ever since. And I know for a fact they were lurking Elio's board before they met George, and R+L=J has been all over that board since it's inception.