DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

The Northmen also sacking the city rung hollow for me as well. My only guess for why they were written to do that was because otherwise they'd be fighting the Unsullied and Dothraki which would lessen the impact of the sacking. It's not a good reason.

• Like 2

OH YEAH! The shit with the northmen. What the fuck was that all about? D&D in their super serious, monotonous tone said you get to see how they change in this situation where they become savages, but that's so fucking uncharacteristic of them. The Dothraki? Sure, I buy that. But the northmen? Seriously. That was such bullshit. I hated that. 

Others have levied the complaint that this is all about moments now without any thought behind them and that was yet another example of that. I could just see them all sitting around the table throwing out once vicious idea after another and someone yells out, "YEAH! AND THEN THE GUYS MOST LOYAL TO JON JUST START RAPING AND MURDERING INNOCENT PEOPLE TOO BECAUSE THAT'S HOW CRAZY THIS ALL IS!!!" and not a fucking person said a word to them about how dumb that sounded.

Basically, this was the Key and Peele sketch for Gremlins 2 and how that movie was developed around the table. These episodes were just some idiots sitting around a table and every dumb or crazy idea anyone had got included in the episodes.

• Like 1

Oh and another thing - Jon being a Targaryen. Why does anyone believe this? We have had ZERO proof outside of the word of Bran and Sam. Dany was 100% right to question this story the second it came up.

Simple solution - Jon faces the zombie dragon at the Battle of Winterfell. He charges in, seemingly to his death and he is engulfed in flames. Arya kills the Night King and the dragon dies. Jon is left on the ground, his clothes burned off, his body maybe blistered a little (he's not full Targaryen) but clearly alive and immune to the fire.

Now people believe.

Even better - Dany goes full heel and says that the story is BS and Jon is a traitor. She lines him up for execution by dragon fire and he lives through it. Now everyone can see the story is true and he is the heir to the Iron Throne. Assuming of corse that Gendry's claim isn't as solid...

Wait, here's a solution for how they have written it anyway: If Jon is all awkward about marrying his aunt then have him publicly renounce the throne. "Hey everyone, you are going to hear some stories about me being a Targaryen. Even if they are true I renounce any claim I would have on the Iron Throne in favor of Dany. SHE is the rightful heir and Queen of the realm."

Im fine with the heel turn overall but at least put in some fucking work to justify going from "Save the people" to "Murder the entire population" in the space of 3 episodes.

Guest The Magnificent 7

There are a lot of criticisms I have of this show this season, but some of the Northmen going crazy in sacking the city didn’t raise much of an eyebrow. Historically, sackings get out of hand for a myriad of reasons and although it wasn’t an attritional siege before entering the city, if you recently lost a ton of your comrades up North fighting an existential threat while these summer softies didn’t even send a thank you note or the soldiers that were promised for the fight you may let the demons get the better of you once the carnage begins.  Not excusing it, but it wasn’t shocking to me some went full mayhem. 

5 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

There are a lot of criticisms I have of this show this season, but some of the Northmen going crazy in sacking the city didn’t raise much of an eyebrow. Historically, sackings get out of hand for a myriad of reasons and although it wasn’t an attritional siege before entering the city, if you recently lost a ton of your comrades up North fighting an existential threat while these summer softies didn’t even send a thank you note or the soldiers that were promised for the fight you may let the demons get the better of you once the carnage begins.  Not excusing it, but it wasn’t shocking to me some went full mayhem. 

I mean, it's not like there are examples of in no way all Northmen being honourable and upstanding and not the "wants to do horriffic things to other people and get off on it" piles of shit that 99% of the population of Westeros are.

latest?cb=20170728090234

ramsay-636.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The best working theory I've seen in the effectiveness of the Scorpions is Drogon had a rider to guide him. But that's just fanwank.

Rhaegal was also wounded from the Battle of Winterfell. Dude had Swiss cheese wings.

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, it's not like there are examples of in no way all Northmen being honourable and upstanding and not the "wants to do horriffic things to other people and get off on it" piles of shit that 99% of the population of Westeros are.

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20170728090234

ramsay-636.jpg

Sucks for Jon then that his entire army was made up of Ramsays-to-be. They were on the wrong side in the Battle of the Bastards. I guess they just didn't realize it yet.

That's not what I'm saying. Just because some Northmen are evil doesn't make it likely that Jon's entire army are city-sacking pieces of shit. I didn't see any of them bow out of murdering innocents or try to stop those who were. This is a way of life for the Dothraki. The Unsullied are unfeeling killing machines. Both groups were totally down with this shit. Were Jon and Davos really the only Northern soldiers who thought this change of plans was fucked up?

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7
5 minutes ago, Throat said:

That's not what I'm saying. Just because some Northmen are evil doesn't make it likely that Jon's entire army are city-sacking pieces of shit. I didn't see any of them bow out of murdering innocents or try to stop those who were. This is a way of life for the Dothraki. The Unsullied are unfeeling killing machines. Both groups were totally down with this shit. Were Jon and Davos really the only Northern soldiers who thought this change of plans was fucked up?

I don’t think we watched the same show. Once Daenarys did her thing and Grey Worm “had to get it on” (Heat quote) lots of swords got picked up and it was battle time for a number of people. There was remarkable discipline until that time and then it all fell apart. The officer class keeping order at that point was going to take time.

You are always going to have bad people in your ranks and the show has always done a decent job of showing some of the rough customers such as a bunch of dudes in the Night’s Watch at Craster’s, for example.  It didn’t mean every swinging dick in the Night’s Watch was a bad guy.

Just look at the U.S. military.  Most of them are good honorable people.  But some of them are racist, homophobic, murders, pillagers, rapists..  and a lot of bad shit happens during war time.  Some of the northern soldiers doing that wasn't hard for me to believe because of all the stories I've read on real life soldiers doing reprehensible shit. 

I just want an explanation how so many Dothraki are still around after Winterfell. Benioff said it was basically the "end of the Dothraki."

It looks like they went back to the Respawn zone and still had plenty left. We didn't see hundreds fleeing from the Wight field. It was maybe a handful at most, and Benioff even confirms this at the end.

The writing for this show, Benioff and Weiss, can't keep anything straight. They are truly the Michael Bays of screenwriting.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

The best working theory I've seen in the effectiveness of the Scorpions is Drogon had a rider to guide him. But that's just fanwank.

The scorpions were never effective against Drogon.  Rhaegal got taken out seemingly because he was wounded and it was a surprise attack. Drogon was able to weave through multiple arrows.  This time around Dany was prepared. She flew high enough to use the overcast to her advantage and then she flew fast enough so they couldn't reload in time when Drogon circled back through.  

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The scorpions were never effective against Drogon.  Rhaegal got taken out seemingly because he was wounded and it was a surprise attack. Drogon was able to weave through multiple arrows.  This time around Dany was prepared. She flew high enough to use the overcast to her advantage and then she flew fast enough so they couldn't reload in time when Drogon circled back through.  

LOL

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

The writing for this show, Benioff and Weiss, can't keep anything straight. They are truly the Michael Bays of screenwriting.

They've fallen off but I think the show is still pretty clearly ahead of the Transformers series in both writing/logic and direction. 

I get that awful shit like that happens in war, but that's all we were being shown from the Northerners between Grey Worm attacking a surrendered Lannister soldier from behind and Jon telling them to fall back because the city was being destroyed. All the good Northerners abstaining from war crimes were off-camera? What were they doing? Watching the fireworks?

The mutiny at Craster's Keep faced resistance from other men of the Night's Watch. The only resistance here was Jon futilely yelling at them.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They've fallen off but I think the show is still pretty clearly ahead of the Transformers series in both writing/logic and direction. 

At least attempt some sort of lampshadey-handwavey excuse. "Like we brought as much of our army as we could. Not everyone could make it yet because most of our ships were destroyed."

Edited by TheVileOne

Guest The Magnificent 7

The good dudes were fighting Lannister soldiers. Which was shown a ton. I mean what would you do if two sides came to battle and a battle happened to break out “unexpectedly”?

My good chap, Grey Worm, you really should apologize. 

Edited by The Magnificent 7

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are we watching the same thing?  It was merely a scratch and then he torched the scene. I wouldn't say it was effective and like I said Dany made all the right moves at King's Landing. 

Yes. It hit it and clearly did some damage. Had they had more on the field they reasonably could've caught him when he was in his nose dive.

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Yes. It hit it and clearly did some damage. Had they had more on the field they reasonably could've caught him when he was in his nose dive.

I guess, I think the one Bronn was on was a lot smaller and Dany knew what angles to take at King's Landing. 

@The Magnificent 7 I'd have to go back and watch but I believe Grey Worm landed the first blow on the surrendered Lannister army. Then the Lannisters started picking back up their swords to fight so the northern troops kinda had to get it on didn't they?