DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That was......  holy shit that was terrifying.   I'm at a loss for words.  That was Black Hawk Down levels of hopelessness. 

Seriously, for all the faults this season, they've done terrifying really fucking well twice now, in two totally different ways.

• Like 5

I honestly got bored by the endless scenes of people burning and buildings collapsing.  Probably could’ve shaved 10 minutes off the episode just by trimming some of those.  By the time they introduced Arya into them, I was just numb to it.  Not like there was any chance she was going out there, anyway.

• Like 3

Like Bebe's Kids.... Dothraki don't die, they multiply.

CleganeBowl getting a dragon flyover before the start was great. If there was ever a time to ditch the orchestra and fire up some Dio...that was it.

• Like 8

I'm willing to weigh on about this far:

The Jamie stuff was disappointing. That doesn't necessarily make it bad. Obviously, keeping him up at Winterfell wasn't the answer. That would have been an unsatisfying even if positive ending for him, basically not really an ending at all. It didn't have enough dramatic weight. I don't necessarily think this did either, unfortunately, but it had more so. 

The moral of the story is that this fictional world is total crap. It damages people. Through that damage, maybe, maybe you can transcend and outgrow who you truly were made to be inside, but most likely, no, you can't, and you'll probably just drag everyone else down with you. 

But hey, it's sure a fun thing to eat popcorn and watch, right?

Imagine its 1991 and you turn on WCW Saturday Night and they are hyping a Main Event of Vader v. Bill Irwin in a 30 minute Iron Man Match. You watch Irwin throw everything he's got at Vader for 10 minutes followed by 25 minutes of Vader just beating the living fuck out of Irwin, but never going for a pin or submission. He can get one fall at any point but always opts to torture Irwin instead. Then the last 5 minutes are just one long drawn out hope spot for Irwin until he finally says "Fuck it" and as he is about to eat that Powerbomb, he shifts his weight so they both tumble out of the ring as time runs out with no fall being scored.

That was Clegane Bowl

James

• Like 3

I really liked this episode, but I'm not sure if I was supposed to? Either way, it was horrifying, and Dany's face where she just loses it right before killing everything was the best acting she's done in seasons.

A lot of this lines up really well. Dany controls the Dothraki, who aren't exactly good guys. They're pretty bad people. The same could be said of the Unsullied. You feel bad for them for being held in slavery, but again, they aren't exactly good guys. The last few seasons have made you forget about all of that and when Grey Worm throws the spear on the unarmed soldier, I had this sudden realization that the most evil woman in the world is Dany and she controls by far the most evil army. 

And Jon Snow and Tyrion let her have it.

So tell me now, Jon Snow, is this woman your fucking queen?

Just now, nofuture said:

Imagine what all the people that named their kids Khaleesi or Daenerys are thinking right now.  They might be regretting that.

They get what they deserve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, nofuture said:

Imagine what all the people that named their kids Khaleesi or Daenerys are thinking right now.  They might be regretting that.

LOL

It's like the people in 2003 or 2008 who got Cubs World Series tattoos.

At least they eventually won another World Series.

I would like to point out that the nitwits writing this show have concocted an endgame where the "bad guy army" is comprised of the totality of the people of color left on the show.

Woof.

I know there has been talk that this is "George's ending", more or less, but it's hard for me to believe he, in a series that set out to undermine fantasy tropes, would've stepped so hard into THAT particular one.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nofuture said:

They should have named their kids after Field Marshall Radetzky instead. That guy was a badass.

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

I would like to point out that the nitwits writing this show have concocted an endgame where the "bad guy army" is comprised of the totality of the people of color left on the show.

Woof.

I know there has been talk that this is "George's ending", more or less, but it's hard for me to believe he, in a series that set out to undermine fantasy tropes, would've stepped so hard into THAT particular one.

Oh, oof. Yeah, that ain't good.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

I would like to point out that the nitwits writing this show have concocted an endgame where the "bad guy army" is comprised of the totality of the people of color left.

Woof.

One could argue that they're not the bad guys, and that their liberation from slavery by the white lady only made them pawns in the white people's game of thrones. So they're really victims.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EVA said:

Woof.

That, and women and their emotions being a bigger big bad than an extinction level invading force. 

Not saying it’s the wrong choice for Dany to turn (though I don’t think the writing earned it, a conqueror with a messiah complex is a conqueror with a messiah complex). Just, when your show has been called racist and misogynist so many times... optics.    

Ultimately I don’t think there’s a satisfying person to put on the throne. The thesis is essentially a refutation of the great (wo)man theory, and sitting anyone there—especially Jon—would feel like a reversion to a Miltonian theory that absolute power is fine if held by the right person.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

One could argue that they're not the bad guys, and that their liberation from slavery by the white lady only made them pawns in the white people's game of thrones. So they're really victims.

You could!  But I think this has ceased to be the type of show that would (or could successfully) make that argument.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

That, and women and their emotions being a bigger big bad than an extinction level invading force. 

Not saying it’s the wrong choice for Dany to turn (though I don’t think the writing earned it, a conqueror with a messiah complex is a conqueror with a messiah complex). Just, when your show has been called racist and misogynist so many times... optics.    

Ultimately I don’t think there’s a satisfying person to put on the throne. The thesis is essentially a refutation of the great (wo)man theory, and sitting anyone there—especially Jon—would feel like a reversion to a Miltonian theory that absolute power is fine if held by the right person.

Sansa + Tyrion for the Iron Throne.

Actually, who the fuck wants a throne now that the city has been destroyed?

Or is this going to be another one of those things that this show does a shitty job of where they make it look like all the Dothraki are dead, but an episode or two later there's a shitload of them left. So I'm sure text week we'll see that 3/4 of King's Landing is all well and good.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I just a story about how many people last year named their kid Thanos.