DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

4 minutes ago, Throat said:

I'm gonna see this show through to the end, but they've killed any interest I would've had in spinoffs. I'll be cancelling my subscription immediately after the Deadwood movie airs at the end of the month.

The time-travelling coffee cup has been removed by HBO. I'd rather they keep that and cut the Sansa/Hound scene.

For what it's worth, there are different showrunners for the spinoffs.  I think a lot of the worst parts would go away with new people in charge.  B&W aren't all bad, but they have no idea how to tell complex stories.  Their writing only makes sense if you don't ask any follow-up questions, which is frustrating for a series based on books that allow you to dig deep and create complex theories.  The show doesn't allow you to do that, and it sucks, because it is a huge part of the book fandom.  Honestly, did anyone pick up on who Jon's parents were before they were specifically told?  Did the show present that mystery in a way that someone with a keen eye could have solved it on their own?  The mystery could have been solved in the first book, if someone was really paying attention to context cues.  I can't think of a single question that the show answers without holding the viewer's hand.  I'm hoping that the spinoff does a better job of story tracking at the least and story layering at the most.

Has anyone ever deep dive any of the "tinfoil" theories?  My favorite is the Roose Bolton is a vampire, which is totally ridiculous, until someone goes through the books and shows you evidence that shows that he might just be a vampire.  

• Like 1

You know how in some video games, you get a different ending depending on how you play?

I feel like Dany has her good ending, where she sails back to rule the kingdom that loves her and keep the chains and wheels broken, her neutral ending where she becomes just another Targaryen monarch, and her bad ending where she becomes the Mad Queen. Or, someone else's ending where she's dead.

• Like 2

I think there's always been hints that she could turn out like her father.  But it's also a situation where she's been pushed to the edge. She's lost her best friends and most of the people who truly believed in her.  Now she is at a crossroads.  Honestly,  I think they've done an okay job with this development. 

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

From what I understand and it was something I referenced earlier, a lot of these actors don't want to be held hostage by this series when their TV and movie careers are taking off. So even though many of these people are making a lot of money (I assume anyway), they don't want to be kept on set and the producers know they're not going to be able to keep them on set.

That's adorable.

I can't imagine there being a ton of demand for Kit or Emilia in two years time. 

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That's adorable.

I can't imagine there being a ton of demand for Kit or Emilia in two years time. 

Yeah, but Turner's in a rather high profile flick.  Not that that particular universe isn't getting rebooted after the movie, but still.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

For what it's worth, there are different showrunners for the spinoffs.  I think a lot of the worst parts would go away with new people in charge.  B&W aren't all bad, but they have no idea how to tell complex stories.  Their writing only makes sense if you don't ask any follow-up questions, which is frustrating for a series based on books that allow you to dig deep and create complex theories.  The show doesn't allow you to do that, and it sucks, because it is a huge part of the book fandom.  Honestly, did anyone pick up on who Jon's parents were before they were specifically told?  Did the show present that mystery in a way that someone with a keen eye could have solved it on their own?  The mystery could have been solved in the first book, if someone was really paying attention to context cues.  I can't think of a single question that the show answers without holding the viewer's hand.  I'm hoping that the spinoff does a better job of story tracking at the least and story layering at the most.

Has anyone ever deep dive any of the "tinfoil" theories?  My favorite is the Roose Bolton is a vampire, which is totally ridiculous, until someone goes through the books and shows you evidence that shows that he might just be a vampire.  

I just don't have much interest left in that world once this wraps. Maybe if the spinoffs are universally praised.

I dove into a theory about my favorite character, Littlefinger, faking his death. Supposedly he had a Faceless Man pose as him. It's a terrible theory that doesn't make much sense, but neither did his death or the moments leading up to it. I would've gladly accepted that being true, regardless of how dumb it was, just to have him be the last man standing and king of the ashes. With so many other dumb things happening, what's one more dumb thing?

11 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That's adorable.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is one of those shows we expect is going to lead to a bunch of film careers, but won't actually work out.  I would have bet all my money that the cast of Friday Night Lights would be the next generation of stars.  I think Michael B. Jordan, who was a late edition who had already been on multiple other shows, is the only one who is truly a star.  Jesse Plemons has had a decent career, and Adrianne Palicki seems to always have a job, but most of the kids we expected to grow into stars did much of anything.  It's really hard to predict that type of thing.

14 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, but Turner's in a rather high profile flick.  Not that that particular universe isn't getting rebooted after the movie, but still.

Since people have been comparing this show ending as poorly as Lost, I was thinking the other day about how most of the cast did not breakthrough the way people thought they might. I presume Lilly being part of the MCU and Kim having a long run on Hawaii 5-0 might be the biggest successes in the long term. 

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, I have a feeling this is one of those shows we expect is going to lead to a bunch of film careers, but won't actually work out. 

There are some people who won't struggle for work, like the Lannister siblings. But some of the younger, more wooden actors? I can't see them doing much of not. I'm already surprised that dude who played Robb got lucky and was in that Bodyguard series everyone was raving about. 

The Stark sisters might stand a chance. We'll see. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Every time I see someone say the ending to Lost was poor, I cringe. It wasn't poor. At all. It was exceptionally good.

Ruined the show for me. Never really want to watch the show again and I was a huge mark for the show. YMMV

I do think they are somewhat forcing the Dany heel turn, in the sense that they are being super obvious about it, but the groundwork has been there for seasons.  I will give them credit for that.

Once she got to Mereen there were clear Mad Queen signs.  Ignoring her advisors to crucify the masters was the big one, but there were other moments where she was ready to jump to the most extreme solution before being talked out of it by Selmy or Jorah.

The Mereen seasons are also when I  noticed a ramping up of the fascist undertones in the imagery. Shots like this don’t exactly scream good guy:

Targaryen+Flag+Over+Mereen.jpg

Makes me think George might have tipped them to the end game around this time.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 2

Oh, they've definitely been sowing seeds of her possibly turning heel for a long time. No doubt.

They've been bouncing back and forth while also setting up the idea she really could be everything her titles claim. Which way will she go has been a big undercurrent for quite awhile, but it sure feels like they are heavily leaning one way for the first time.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh, they've definitely been sowing seeds of her possibly turning heel for a long time. No doubt.

They've been bouncing back and forth while also setting up the idea she really could be everything her titles claim. Which way will she go has been a big undercurrent for quite awhile, but it sure feels like they are heavily leaning one way for the first time.

They have to do something there's 3 hours left lol.   Thanos had more screen time. Whatever the hell they got planned they gotta go now..  

25 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Emilia Clarke was clearly not happy about this season when asked at the world premiere. 

If we assume the Dany heel turn is forthcoming, it’s easy to see how anyone invested in the character might just suggest, y’know, she raised armies and brought them to stop the apocalypse, lost them, lost the only people/creatures she’s ever really cared about, lost a lot due to bad advice, and taken a lot of that bad advice from people who might be conspiring against her to support a man we’re told is a hero and a leader—but doesn’t really show the skill for either and doesn’t want the throne. Obviously that’s slanted, but I could see why Clarke might feel Dany has a right to be very mad, if not mad. And I imagine the fan response will reflect that to a pretty harrowing degree...

(It wouldn’t be a wrestling board if someone didn’t say the heel was really the baby face before the turn even happens.)

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Beech27 said:

If we assume the Dany heel turn is forthcoming, it’s easy to see how anyone invested in the character might just suggest, y’know, she raised armies and brought them to stop the apocalypse, lost them, lost the only people/creatures she’s ever really cared about, lost a lot due to bad advice, and taken a lot of that bad advice from people who might be conspiring against her to support a man we’re told is a hero and a leader—but doesn’t really show the skill for either and doesn’t want the throne. Obviously that’s slanted, but I could see why Clarke might feel Dany has a right to be very mad, if not mad. And I imagine the fan response will reflect that to a pretty harrowing degree...

(It wouldn’t be a wrestling board if someone didn’t say the heel was really the baby face before the turn even happens.)

Don't forget last episode characterizing her as the evil manipulative girlfriend.

I wonder if this is somehow supposed to be an "absolute power corrupts" thing, where Dany started with the best of intentions but fell.

And Cersei, who was bad to start with, only got worse and worse. 

She had a quote I think it was from Kimmel maybe about a couple weeks ago where she was like "you're not gonna wanna miss episode 5!"  she said it's crazy but she wouldn't elaborate. She seemed genuinely excited but who knows,  when I saw who was directing it I was like "okay, big battle coming up.." 

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Maybe I am, but fans tried to convince themselves that Jon Snow was clearing a path for Arya by distracting zombie Dragon. 

I think there's a lot the show has gotten wrong but I just don't think Arya with her background and everything taking out Night King is a bad move

• Like 5