DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

By the way, I laughed when Tyrion tried to make it sound like Cersei wasn't a monster when she blew up the Sept and surrounding area and drove Tommen to kill himself.

Trying to recall if Tyrion is aware of that. Keep in mind he was out of the country when all of that went down. He know Cersei is hateful. He may not know she is insane at this point.

9 hours ago, MarcosLoura said:

Can anyone remind me why is Tyrion so loyal to Dany? I'm not being sarcastic, did she save his life or something? I legit don't remember.

Following Dany gave him a new purpose in life, especially since he truly believes in her goodness and potential as a great ruler. He wants to still believe that its possible for her to be that even with how much things are slipping away from the losses Dany has gained in Westoros to the further hurdles added on her journey to the crown with Jon's reveal. 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Dracarys

There is not enough love for Missandei's last words being "Burn this mother fucker to the ground."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Trying to recall if Tyrion is aware of that. Keep in mind he was out of the country when all of that went down. He know Cersei is hateful. He may not know she is insane at this point.

Everyone on the show knows everything by way of light speed ravens.

There's a certain twisted irony that a book series where writing began almost 3 decades ago with absolutely no end in sight will be given a hamfisted resolution constructed over a few hours of television. Akin to a Swiss watch finely tuned over many years, only for the final finish to be delivered with a hammer.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

That's giving Martin way too much credit. 

Also, we're absolutely sure that there's not a secret spin off show which is going to be the next few years of Jon and Dany warring right?

That's the thing that makes me believe that the series finale will be shit, because I believe that it will be use to launch a spin-off and leave too many things unsettled.

The only spin-off that's planned is the prequel series. I don't think HBO wants to add ANOTHER expensive TV series to their schedule since they already have GoT, the spinoff that's coming up, Westworld, Watchmen, and others. And some of those, like Westworld, only have a season every other year. 

At this point, I feel like Dany, Jon, and most of the rest are all dead and Cersei is going to "win." The Hound is dead, Arya is wounded and has to go into hiding, etc.

And then the last episode is a time jump. Cersei is with the son she has with Euron when Cersei is stabbed with Arya's Valyrian steel dagger. It's Arya, back from out of hiding. She's killed Cersei's son (who cares how, Benioff and Weiss sure as hell don't care about the how), stolen his face, and she assassinates Cersei.

From there, I don't know what happens. Maybe Arya steals Cersei's face and rules the seven kingdoms or maybe she installs Sansa as queen.

---------------

By the way, and this is something that came up on The Watch and it was something I thought about before, but Dany really is the worst. Her whole idea is to "break the wheel" and yet she is way too focused on claiming the Iron Throne. If she were all about breaking the wheel, she'd realize that sitting on the Iron Throne is just another spoke in that wheel, that you can rule from anywhere, hell, she doesn't need to be a ruler at all. Her strength is in bringing about change and making lives better for people. She can't do that and be queen. But the writing of her character and the show in general has been sped up so much that there's just no room for that sort of adjustment or nuance.

• Like 2

Also, if she's so upset that Jon has a better claim than her, why legitimise Gendry? Technically he has a better claim than anyone now.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Also, if she's so upset that Jon has a better claim than her, why legitimise Gendry? Technically he has a better claim than anyone now.

The way I read that was that Dany was trying to get ahead of yet someone else who could claim the throne. So it was like, hey, you're a good lad, you get to rule over this bit of land over here...and never, ever, come make a claim for my throne.

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

Also, if she's so upset that Jon has a better claim than her, why legitimise Gendry?

1. Gendry doesn't have a dragon.

2. Like Jon, Gendry doesn't really want to rule the entire fucking continent.

He's no threat to her, nor is he ever likely to be and like Jon Snow, in the immediacy he serves her purposes better alive than dead..

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

Danerys needs good wardens to secure the country once she's taken it and Jon and Gendry will fill those roles. 

Gendry will bring name recognition and street cred to Danerys as a warden after she's installed on the Iron Throne.

If she is made queen (and if everyone is still alive), she will have a Stark .err...  a Snow... um... another Targaryen and a Baratheon as two of her military commanders / lord protectors of the realm and a Lannister as her advisor. 

You can't ask for better pedigree and lineage in your vassals..

Edited by J.T.

Well, you could ask for a Tyrell, or a Velaryon, or a Gardener, or a Stokeworth, or a Strong, or a Whent, or a Bolton, or an Umber, or a Manderley, or a Connington, or a Lefford, or a Reyne or someone from any of the other houses that are extinct (or were never in the show). And that's ignoring all the Dornish ones.

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

That was a classic Book Cersei move.  Not even thinking about the potential long-term consequences.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

That was a classic Book Cersei move.  Not even thinking about the potential long-term consequences.

She is getting dangerously close to Book Cersei, except for the fact that Book Cersei is pretty clearly insane.  Like something is legitimately wrong with her.  Dany just comes off as an asshole.

• Like 1

Dany's coming unraveled as it's becoming apparant that her "destiny" was a load of shit.  She wasn't welcomed back as a conquering hero by long suffering loyal Targaryen vassals, all the houses pledging support ain't sending troops outside of the North, And half the army she does have at her command don't like her and worship the biggest legit claim challenge she's got.  She;s in full "get the fucking throne now before the North turns on her, but the down side is that she's not aware that Varys is looking for the eject button and knows about Jon.  

It's kind of hitting the situation where Dany is turning into the final boss for Jon we're back to Jon is the real hero of the story (I mean, the books are "A Song of Ice and Fire", and Jon's both.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Dany's coming unraveled as it's becoming apparant that her "destiny" was a load of shit.  She wasn't welcomed back as a conquering hero by long suffering loyal Targaryen vassals, all the houses pledging support ain't sending troops outside of the North, And half the army she does have at her command don't like her and worship the biggest legit claim challenge she's got.  She;s in full "get the fucking throne now before the North turns on her, but the down side is that she's not aware that Varys is looking for the eject button and knows about Jon.  

It's kind of hitting the situation where Dany is turning into the final boss for Jon we're back to Jon is the real hero of the story (I mean, the books are "A Song of Ice and Fire", and Jon's both.

I don't have enough faith in the writing to pull this off.  I honestly feel that this is a false flag making characters who have been built up over years to act outside of themselves to build unnecessary drama over the last couple of episodes.  I honestly can't see this turning into them defeating Cersei only to have them turn around and defeat Dany.  It's kind of like the unnecessary Sansa/Arya conflict from last season.

• Like 1

I hate to keep going back to season length or this being the last season, but it really sucks that we're basically two episodes out and a better, more nuanced story could be told with more episodes or even one more season. I'm fully in the camp that Dany is losing it and again, to reference the Watch, she's dangerous close to being crushed by the same wheel she said she was going to break. However, we've gone through 7 seasons up until now where Dany was cast as the breaker of chains, as this freeing hero, and now in the 11th hour we're looking at turning her into the villain.

So the problem is almost twofold. Either they keep her as the hero and it feels hollow or false or just obtuse on the part of Benioff and Weiss to do this with only two episodes remaining, or they turn her "heel" and they do so with not enough time left on the clock to pull that off.

Fuck. FUCK. Why did they think 6 episodes was enough for this season? I think I'm more frustrated by that than anything else. It's not even a "I don't want this show to go away and I want more of it" type of deal. I think it's great that they have a well defined end point, but they're not giving themselves enough time to do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

t's not even a "I don't want this show to go away and I want more of it" type of deal. I think it's great that they have a well defined end point, but they're not giving themselves enough time to do it.

Has it ever come out why this season (and last) are so short? Seems HBO would want to milk it's cash cow more than this... the amount of subscriptions they are going to lose when this show ends has to be worrying them. I know so many people that only keep HBO for GOT.

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

I imagine it was a budget issue.  Bigger battles, more FX = less money remaining to actually pay the cast and crew to be on set = fewer eps.

From what I understand and it was something I referenced earlier, a lot of these actors don't want to be held hostage by this series when their TV and movie careers are taking off. So even though many of these people are making a lot of money (I assume anyway), they don't want to be kept on set and the producers know they're not going to be able to keep them on set.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Has it ever come out why this season (and last) are so short? Seems HBO would want to milk it's cash cow more than this... the amount of subscriptions they are going to lose when this show ends has to be worrying them. I know so many people that only keep HBO for GOT.

No, but there is another one coming out next year.  So, unless it's straight trash I think they'll be OK as far as subscribers go.  I really want to know how they're going to pull off the new series.  They are going to have the opportunity to create a who new cast of characters most of whom we've never even heard of.  The new show is set thousands of years before the current series and most of the houses we know from the current series don't exist yet.  There will be Starks, but there is no Targaryen, Baratheon, Martell, and the Tullys, Tyrells, and Lannisters are minor houses.  It could be great, but it could be a disaster.  I'll watch, even if I have to hate-watch.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Someone mentioned a few posts back about how it would be so much more effective if the Night Kings dragon had flamed Jon and he survived the fire to convince everyone that he was the rightful heir.  The absolute same scenario could work with Dany (probably more effectively).

Jaime takes out Cersei, Dany tries to take the throne, all the Northern armies call for Jon, she goes mad queen and dracarys's him.  He emerges from the flame, she's stunned, Arya/Sansa/whoever takes her out while she's in shock.  Jon climbs the stairs and takes the throne.  Show over.  You could even have Gendry there who tries to climb the stairs but Jon stops him mirroring what happened with Ned & Robert. 

I mean ... there could be worse endings...

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

There's been an insane amount of HBO billboards popping up all over LA in the past couple weeks.  At this point, they might as well put "please don't cancel your subscription after the Game of Thrones finale" on every one that is advertising a new show. 

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm gonna see this show through to the end, but they've killed any interest I would've had in spinoffs. I'll be cancelling my subscription immediately after the Deadwood movie airs at the end of the month.

The time-travelling coffee cup has been removed by HBO. I'd rather they keep that and cut the Sansa/Hound scene.

4 minutes ago, Throat said:

I'm gonna see this show through to the end, but they've killed any interest I would've had in spinoffs. I'll be cancelling my subscription immediately after the Deadwood movie airs at the end of the month.

The time-travelling coffee cup has been removed by HBO. I'd rather they keep that and cut the Sansa/Hound scene.

For what it's worth, there are different showrunners for the spinoffs.  I think a lot of the worst parts would go away with new people in charge.  B&W aren't all bad, but they have no idea how to tell complex stories.  Their writing only makes sense if you don't ask any follow-up questions, which is frustrating for a series based on books that allow you to dig deep and create complex theories.  The show doesn't allow you to do that, and it sucks, because it is a huge part of the book fandom.  Honestly, did anyone pick up on who Jon's parents were before they were specifically told?  Did the show present that mystery in a way that someone with a keen eye could have solved it on their own?  The mystery could have been solved in the first book, if someone was really paying attention to context cues.  I can't think of a single question that the show answers without holding the viewer's hand.  I'm hoping that the spinoff does a better job of story tracking at the least and story layering at the most.

Has anyone ever deep dive any of the "tinfoil" theories?  My favorite is the Roose Bolton is a vampire, which is totally ridiculous, until someone goes through the books and shows you evidence that shows that he might just be a vampire.  

• Like 1