DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I was ready to give Game of Thrones the GOAT title but after watching the last couple seasons which I've still enjoyed,  it's not quite the same and Breaking Bad is damn near a perfect series..   I also have The Wire up there,  those are my top two.  

• Like 1

Oof, this episode. Everything was going kinda fine until Jaime completely changed his mind in a matter of a few hours. He decided to stay with Brienne, he was ready to stop fighting, he finds out that his sister contracted his murder, and then...he has to go back to Cersei?! What in the fucking fuck?

From then on we were headed to crazy town.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was ready to give Game of Thrones the GOAT title but after watching the last couple seasons which I've still enjoyed,  it's not quite the same and Breaking Bad is damn near a perfect series..   I also have The Wire up there,  those are my top two.  

The Shield or GTFO.

• Like 2

I  think it's unfinished business for Jamie.  I'm guessing he's gonna try to kill her ass.  He seemed hurt.  Like,  maybe he'd be okay if he was just living up north and she was down there but he still loves her and then finds out she tried to have him hit,  he's just a mess..  he wants answers but probably also blood. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I  think it's unfinished business for Jamie.  I'm guessing he's gonna try to kill her ass.  He seemed hurt.  Like,  maybe he'd be okay if he was just living up north and she was down there but he still loves her and then finds out she tried to have him hit,  he's just a mess..  he wants answers but probably also blood. 

No, he decided to leave when he learned by talking to Sansa and Brienne that Dany was going to kill her. 

I still think Jaime killing her is the most likely candidate, but we'll see.

The multi season dumbing down of Tyrion is the worst writing on the show. But, then it also has the absolutely perfect development of Arya. So... I still like it, a lot. But it's not close to the first few seasons.

Then again, Crows and Dragons weren't nearly as good as the first three books, either, so I'm not sure I can blame it all on getting ahead of the source material.

Like most shows, it'll be judged far too much on whether or not it "sticks the landing" as opposed to how good it was on a whole.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

No, he decided to leave when he learned by talking to Sansa and Brienne that Dany was going to kill her. 

Damn, Interesting.. my version would have made more sense.    Varys coming back into the show was a pleasant sight.  This show could always use more Varys and Tyrion plotting/angling.. 

I love Qyburn over the last 3 seasons he's become a mad scientist and Cersei should be counting her lucky stars he is in her camp.  

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Like most shows, it'll be judged far too much on whether or not it "sticks the landing" as opposed to how good it was on a whole.

Blessedly, it was never as good as other all-time greats. So if the "landing" spoils it in the eyes of some, I'll be happy to see that correction made in most people's mind.

Critical mass is a funny thing. If only I could get everyone who cares passionately about tugging on everything potential loose left by this show to care a quarter as much about any of the two dozen great shows they've ignored over the life of this series. 

It's always been good, not great. They've just traded their "jumping from one locale to the next and barely spending time there" problem for different ones over the last few seasons. But it's never stacked up against the best. 

The Long Night just feels like a random side quest at this point. 

Dany's planning of the siege of King's Landing was awful. Varys was like head spy master. Why not work his spies through the city at least? They didn't do any recon at all? I mean Dany had seen that ballista before it and did manage to hit one of her dragons. She really thought there wouldn't' be more? Not to mention, her army was decimated. She lost her fleet, all the Dothraki, and at least half the Unsullied. She could've done a bit more to plan that out and not try to take it the next day.

Also, who the hell is the new Prince of Dorne?

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Please, don't bring up Dorne. I wanted to scream when they did.

You mean the kingdom who Ellaria basically overthrew in order to ally herself with Daenerys? With which she killed the king, killed his son, and everyone who could stand in her way to take control? How did they get a new prince? Have an election?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

You mean the kingdom who Ellaria basically overthrew in order to ally herself with Daenerys? With which she killed the king, killed his son, and everyone who could stand in her way to take control? How did they get a new prince? Have an election?

Never heard of it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Oof, this episode. Everything was going kinda fine until Jaime completely changed his mind in a matter of a few hours. He decided to stay with Brienne, he was ready to stop fighting, he finds out that his sister contracted his murder, and then...he has to go back to Cersei?! What in the fucking fuck?

From then on we were headed to crazy town.

I took it as like a Tyrion/Shae breakup. He said what he felt he had to to get out of there quickly and alone to go kill his sister. Brienne would've rightly considered it a suicide mission. She'd try to talk him out of it or tag along. It was a brutal lie so he could split and do what he's gotta do. Maybe. I really hope he's not just an asshole again.

Either way, it sucks for Brienne. She doesn't deserve this shit. Can't just one fucking character find happiness on this show? Especially the most honorable one of them all.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Throat said:

Can't just one fucking character find happiness on this show? Especially the most honorable one of them all.

Tormund seemed pretty happy. 

Tonight's episode was about what I expected in terms of things getting messy on their way to the end. In terms of battle tactics I never ever expect great ones, especially when emotions are clearly in play. I will say that while that while some are coming up with nice enough ideas for what Varys could have suggested, people should probably keep in mind Qyburn actually did take over Varys network so ways into the city probably aren't as easily accessed as people think. Even taking into account that they might have been able to sneak assassins with the people coming in, none of them would have likely gotten close to Cersei who keeps herself at a good distance from the common folk now. The only people who probably could assassinate Cersei is Arya (who they don't really know the true skills of) and maybe Jamie. That is why Cersei's death has mostly been down to the two of them in the guessing pools doe a couple of seasons now. 

With all the talk of spin-offs, if we don't get Tormund & Ghost wandering the North like Cain on Kung-Fu then I'll be very disappointed!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Haha 1

I will wait and see what they have in store for Jaime before I cast any judgment on that scene. I took it as... he decided to ride south when he heard about Euron’s involvement. Almost a jealousy thing. Really didn’t like how they handled the Bronn stuff...

I really am loving the Dany/Jon 1-sided power struggle situation going on.  Sansa telling Tyrion the truth was absolutely the right move.  I actually really like how this idea has spread around without Jon being directly involved in any plots.  It would ring false if he all the sudden became super ambitious after the Great War ended.  Much more interesting this way and overall I think they are really nailing the Starks/Targs part of the story.

Edited by Jrag

Tyrion has been dumbed down over the last few years, yes, but I sort of loved the last ditch desperation bit with Cersei at the end.  

It’s not that he expected anything from Cersei, but I think he rightfully realizes how precarious Dany’s situation is and he can see the madness boiling up.  Liked the direct plea to Cersei as a last gasp situation. 

Oh my god, the Bronn scene was hilarious for all the right and wrong reasons.  The way he just abruptly saunters in and out is the perfect example of how little Weiss & Benioff care about the "how" of their story right now.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, EVA said:

Yo, shoutout to history, but it ain’t drama.

Any drama that is dependent on its characters being dumb in order to be interesting is inherently bad drama.

People were sort of wanting it both ways with all the links to tactical experts or what not. 

Also, I'm not sure if the characters are dumb so much as consistently human. 

The defining moment of the show is Ned's failure. 

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

People were sort of wanting it both ways with all the links to tactical experts or what not. 

See, Ned is a great example of what I'm talking about.  Ned's failure was rooted in his character, not his lack of intelligence.  The book/show made this clear by having almost literally everyone tell him his virtues were going to get him killed before it happened.  He couldn't help himself.  Even though "dumb Ned Stark" is the meme, he wasn't dumb, just a man out of his element.

And there's a way they could've gotten to a siege of King's Landing (if that's what they're committed to doing) that was similarly rooted in character, not sheer stupidity.  "Dany makes brash, emotional choices" is a well-established trait at this point (even if it's not always clear W&B realize that).  The problem is, unlike with Ned,  there was hardly any pushback from the non-brash/emotional people to establish the contrast.  Instead, we actually get a front row seat to the war room strategy meeting, and everybody falls in line with this horrible plan in short order.  Best as I recall, the only real objection is Sansa's "folks need to rest."  Nobody suggests any real alternative strategies to the taking of King's Landing at any point in this episode.

And so, rather than a bunch of smart people who are at the whim of an impulsive queen, they just all look like dopes who have no better ideas.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

See, Ned is a great example of what I'm talking about.  Ned's failure was rooted in his character, not his lack of intelligence.  The book/show made this clear by having almost literally everyone tell him his virtues were going to get him killed before it happened.  He couldn't help himself.  Even though "dumb Ned Stark" is the meme, he wasn't dumb, just a man out of his element.

And there's a way they could've gotten to a siege of King's Landing (if that's what they're committed to doing) that was similarly rooted in character, not sheer stupidity.  "Dany makes brash, emotional choices" is a well-established trait at this point (even if it's not always clear W&B realize that).  The problem is, unlike with Ned,  there was hardly any pushback from the non-brash/emotional people to establish the contrast.  Instead, we actually get a front row seat to the war room strategy meeting, and everybody falls in line with this horrible plan in short order.  Best as I recall, the only real objection is Sansa's "folks need to rest."  Nobody suggests any real alternative strategies to the taking of King's Landing at any point in this episode.

And so, rather than a bunch of smart people who are at the whim of an impulsive queen, they just all look like dopes who have no better ideas.

So, things went how they did in part because Jon was overcompensating to prove to her how loyal he was. There was room for more push back but it was established later in the episode the only  hope they had for it was from Jon tempering her.

I get the principle of what you're saying, but I don't think it's as clear as you're making it out to be.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The failure of Ned (and Robert) is that they were warriors, not politicians. Robert survived to rule for over a decade because he essentially left people alone and amused himself by whoring, hunting and watching jousts. Compared to the Mad King he was a breath of fresh air, and he was also surrounded by intelligent people that made sure he didn't destroy the Seven Kingdoms with his indulgences. 

• Like 1

Just now, OSJ said:

The failure of Ned (and Robert) is that they were warriors, not politicians. Robert survived to rule for over a decade because he essentially left people alone and amused himself by whoring, hunting and watching jousts. Compared to the Mad King he was a breath of fresh air, and he was also surrounded by intelligent people that made sure he didn't destroy the Seven Kingdoms with his indulgences. 

Back to history, innovations screw up tacticians for decades. It feels like the Battle of the Bastards is just about the only normal combat you get in this thing. Everything else has dragons or giant crossbows or shadow monsters killing people or zombies. They tend to do pretty well with the mundane stuff?