DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I would think they all just are trying to cope with the short attention span nature of modern culture. You can probably throw in comics in that mix, where you can skim most books in a minute or two and not miss much. 

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I know it was dark, but I’m pretty sure that’s what Arya did.

You know what I’m saying.  There not being a single white walker fight scene is sort of weird.  All these people have Valyrian steel and it’s an afterthought.  

And considering how the previous episode ended with the row of white walkers..... what a waste.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, L_W_P said:

So can we now all see that Vince "Subverting Expectations" and holding off on crowning Roman for 4 years was a genius move so far ahead of the curve it's not funny.

Star Wars and now GoT, 2 of the biggest fantasy franchises of all time, are booking for 'moments' instead of trying to tell any kind of cathartic narrative. We all pop in mindless ecstasy when something happens then realize just how dumb it all really is in the cold light of day...

I love the show but so much of the lore/world building/prophetic story telling just got thrown out the window with this episode. This was "Midichlorians control the Force" or "Your parents were nobodies, Rey" levels of WTF.

Martin's brilliance is in subverting your expectations but it still makes sense. Ned being executed instead of taking the black is a great example. You expect him to go to the Wall and fight ice zombies with Jon. But then he reminds you that Joffery is a psycho little shit and lopes his head off.

While I didn't mind Arya killing the Night King as much as some, it didn't have the same impact.

21 minutes ago, mystman said:

Martin's brilliance is in subverting your expectations but it still makes sense. Ned being executed instead of taking the black is a great example. You expect him to go to the Wall and fight ice zombies with Jon. But then he reminds you that Joffery is a psycho little shit and lopes his head off.

While I didn't mind Arya killing the Night King as much as some, it didn't have the same impact.

I do not understand the people who think it was some sort of rip off that Arya killed the NIght King and not Jon, when her entire storyline built led up to this.  Seriously, Jon is the rightful king, he gets the girl, he rides a dragon, and he has to kill the Night King?  I'm just saying, what the fuck is everyone else supposed to be doing?

• Like 5

I thought TNKs straight dismissal of Jon was a great strategic and disciplined move.  The guy has a Valarian steel sword.    The one type of weapon that could kill him and the lose the war.  So why fuck with him if beating Jon is still zero sum when Bran is over there and the objective.

The rest of the WWs could have seen a little bit of action I suppose.  But at that point in the episode I was ready for a solution.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, mystman said:

I figured Arya was either going to kill Cersei or Dany.

I never thought that I always thought it'd be Jamie and maybe it will be.  Night King wanted no part of Snow,  he already saw Snow kill one of his generals with a valerian sword why would he give Snow the opportunity?  He wouldn't..   The only way they were stopping him from getting to Bran is someone had to slip through and assassinate him.  That was Arya.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I never thought that I always thought it'd be Jamie and maybe it will be.  Night King wanted no part of Snow,  he already saw Snow kill one of his generals with a valerian sword why would he give Snow the opportunity?  He wouldn't..   The only way they were stopping him from getting to Bran is someone had to slip through and assassinate him.  That was Arya.

Oh, I get that. It makes sense, and I don't really have a problem with it. Its just for what's supposed to be a surprising twist, I wasn't all that surprised.

2 minutes ago, mystman said:

Oh, I get that. It makes sense, and I don't really have a problem with it. Its just for what's supposed to be a surprising twist, I wasn't all that surprised.

I wasn't surprised that she snuck him but I was surprised she landed the fatal blow,  I thought when he caught her she was gonna die and that would be the end of the episode. 

14 minutes ago, mystman said:

At a certain point, we have to stop expecting to be surprised.  There is damn near a decade of television that built to these final moments.  It would feel cheap as hell if none of the build actually pays off.  Arya spent the entire series becoming a killer, it would be a huge waste of time if she never actually used those skills.  Jon, for what its worth, has been training to be a leader.  The fact that all of these people are in Winterfell putting their lives on the line is because he led them there.  He's fulfilling his destiny by leading the force that will unite Westeros.  I swear some of you guys actually like Russo-style booking where everything is ultimately a swerve no matter how little sense it makes.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I swear some of you guys actually like Russo-style booking where everything is ultimately a swerve no matter how little sense it makes.

Let's not say anything we can't take back...

To the people saying that this is what Arya was meant to do, it's not. This series never built her up as the person to take out the Night King. Up until last season, she didn't know what a fucking white walker or wight was because she's been on the run. supremebve says it would be a disappointment for Arya to spend all that time training and not do anything with it, but that completely ignores two facts:

• She didn't train for that many years. She was very angry and wanted to see people dead for many years, but it's not like all of those years were spent training.
  • She did use her abilities as an assassin. She kills Walder Frey, feeds him to his own sons and family in the form of a meat pie before killing the rest of the Freys by poisoning them. This was only last season! She's killed plenty of others on her list. You more than see a pay off to her skills and training.

Meanwhile, Jon's had the most encounters with the Night King. Jon was the first to witness the Night King's power, knows what the King is capable of, has basically been the Paul Revere of this series warning everyone of the calamity that's approaching, and faced off with the King again near the end of last season. It's a total cop out to say, oh, well, the white walkers and the wights and the Night King were really just this personification of death and nothing more.

These motherfuckers were the end of the world. They were more than just an existential threat. If fucking Cersei wins then she controls a kingdom and a bunch of people still live and eventually she dies one day and the throne is turned over to someone else. If the Night King wins, that's fucking it. There are no more humans. Shit, there's no more anything. The planet dies. There is no greater threat than that and in one episode they're all dispatched and not by the person this series has built up.

All this while we've been lead along to believe two things: Arya will kill Cersei and finish her mission, and Jon will kill the Night King and save the world. These expectations have been completely subverted and not in a good or satisfying way. Yeah, it was cool to see Arya kill the Night King, but that's a junk food high. That shit passes and what you're left with afterward are questions about whether it was worth it or not. For me, it took probably a few days to realize no, it wasn't worth it.

I get the complaints about this series sinking to just delivering moments, but we're in the final season of an epic. This is no time to fuck around and all that's left is delivering moments and payoffs to years of storytelling and buildup. We've had 7 years of palace intrigue, backstabbing, manipulating, power plays, regicide, and more. It all has to build to SOMETHING.

• Like 1

I think it would have been cool to see a Jon Snow vs. Night King showdown but I don't know how they could have gotten there,  some people were ready to shit on that too because it's the "Hollywood" ending..   there's a lot of people who don't want Game of Thrones to have a Hollywood ending. 

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think it would have been cool to see a Jon Snow vs. Night King showdown but I don't know how they could have gotten there,  some people were ready to shit on that too because it's the "Hollywood" ending..   there's a lot of people who don't want Game of Thrones to have a Hollywood ending. 

Id have been happy with the Night King winning. #heelfan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In their defense most of the military strategists were dead. Jon Snow and Dany have shown to be horrible field generals,  they are way too emotional.  I suppose Tyrion had a few tricks up his sleeve once upon a time but he's been making terrible decisions now for a while. Jamie would have been a good leader but he has no goodwill in the north. Everyone decided to listen to Bran and Jon had tunnel vision.  We need to kill The Night King and that's it. Otherwise we're fucked.  Their first move made sense.  Dothraki in an open field are supposed to be untouchable.  They were wiped in 20 seconds. 

Also, their first move made ZERO sense. Let's start with, again, that no one fucking knew that Melissandre was going to show up. So you have all of these fucking Dothraki AND Jorah and they were going to send them out without dragon glass and without Valyrian steel (except Jorah), which is basically sending them to their doom. Everyone knew that there's about 100,000 wights or something along those lines, not to mention undead giants, other undead animals, the White Walkers, the Night King, and undead Viserion.

What the fuck are a small group of Dothraki going to do against all of that with basic weapons? That is just incredibly poor writing and planning.

People need to stop apologizing or making excuses for this episode. It sucked. It was far from any sort of epic unless you want to describe it as an epic mess. I tried watching this shit again and wound up turning it off. It's really bad. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

They had Davos, Tyrion, Jon, Grey Worm, and others. Most of the military strategists were not dead.

I don't know I think these guys are a tier or two below Stannis,  Ned, Robert,  Bolton and Robb.  Below Tywin too.  I forgot about Davos.  Who was Gendry making all the dragon glass weapons for?  Just the northerners?  It seemed like The Unsullied killed some wights. 

Stannis in the show was not a good military strategist. Lost the battle of blackwater, lost his troops because they starved, was pathetically obsessed with a witch, and then his entire military was wiped out.

Ned is a laughably bad strategist. Good fighter, but not the brightest guy.

Ramsay and his dad had a good insurgent force that wound up accomplishing way more than they should have because they were picking whatever meat was left on the bones of places like Winterfell.

Robert I'll give you. Tywin too.

But there were more than enough capable planners and strategists there at Winterfell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

They had Davos, Tyrion, Jon, Grey Worm, and others. Most of the military strategists were not dead.

Davos is a naval guy, not a land general. Tyrion has some experience defending a city that's loaded with wildfire, Jon has been lucky rather than good and Grey Worm is quite competent, but far out of his element in the North. Need I point out that the dude is from a desert kingdom, fighting in the snow has to be completely horrifying to the Unsullied.

Guest The Magnificent 7

You don’t have to be a military genius like Hannibal Barca to do basic shit like order your archers to shoot the enemy with arrows while they are standing around doing nothing. 

44 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Davos is a naval guy, not a land general. 

Not even a naval guy. He's a smuggler who landed a pretty sweet gig because Stannis didn't know anybody else who could handle his-of-herself on water. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy