DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

46 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, precisely. And while I can think the battle was fantastic in many ways, the above is going to stick with me and hope that if Martin ever gets around to finishing his story that it's very different. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

They're really setting up Samwell to do something stupid that everyone's going to hate.

Way too many shots of him stinking it up and being useless while other characters had to risk their own lives to save him.

I think I subscribe to the theory that Sam will be the one to write the history of the Song of Ice and Fire, and him nearly getting killed 5 times a battle is there to reinforce that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OSJ said:

No, I think we get that she's mostly an idiot, but a very lucky and insulated idiot. She makes a lot of the right moves for the wrong reasons and so far has gotten well away with it. However, the time to pay the piper is near...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm going to go ahead and say I'd gouge my eyes out before I'd watch that.

You like Eric that much? ?

If there was a possibility Ivanka might be forced to parade in the nuddy, her dad would totally film it.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Which, you know, might be why Cersei is the last villain, not the Walkers

This episode showed why the Walkers couldn't be the last villain. The Night King had three perfectly good opportunities to monologue. 

Nothing, silence.

Who the fuck wants a last villain who doesn't monologue?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I think I subscribe to the theory that Sam will be the one to write the history of the Song of Ice and Fire, and him nearly getting killed 5 times a battle is there to reinforce that.

One thing that the AV Club (I think) review pointed out is that every time we checked in with Sam he was basically in the same degree of panic and fear. And we got to watch every other character slowly descend down to the same level Sam started at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Completely different. Cersei has three dead children and was forced to parade naked.

Yeah, Cersei has some god damned god-level rage in her. I'm saying she takes out a Stark or two, or possibly just Dany, just to show she's the "Final Boss" level threat she's made out to be.  (I still think Jaime's taking her out.) 

I think next week is the set up for the final battle, the week after is the battle, and the last week is clean-up and whoever finally claims the throne. (They did tease Sansa/Tyrion hard this week.)

My other complaint with the battle was their overall strategy. The sent in all of the Dothraki and Jorah and then Dany and Jon providing no air support. I couldn't understand why Dany and Jon weren't lighting up areas of the ground and trees to give forces on the ground some vision. They just sat and watched the Dothraki all die and Dany look shocked. Like, what did you think was going to happen? You have the equivalent of a fighter jet and you didn't even use it.

What was as frustrating to watch was seeing all the wights rush in to start fucking everyone up and again Dany and Jon just sit and watch it happen. Maybe fly out and start breathing fire BEFORE the wights even reach everyone else on the ground? Maybe the dragons can't endlessly breath fire, but later on Lich Viserion doesn't have any trouble constantly breathing fire.

I don't know...The humans' strategy was just fucked. They lost before the battle even started.

This doesn't even get into whatever Bran was doing that whole time. I'm willing to bet we never get an explanation why he was still warging long after the crows see the Night King.

The episode certainly isn't as perfect as some places want you to think it is. I've also seen some reviews praising the direction in the episode and for pulling off something better than the Battle of the Bastards. That is some shocking praise. I felt so much more tension during the Battle of the Bastards because the whole thing kicks off with the other forgotten Stark boy dying on the battlefield and then Jon runs out ahead of everyone else. You get a lot of clear shots of Jon on the field avoiding horses charging and other enemies taking swipes at him. Then there was the whole scene with the crush. I just don't see how wights Zerging the humans and showing what was basically a mess of browns and oranges on the screen amounted to something better than the Battle of the Bastards. Again, this isn't to say the whole thing was bad, it wasn't, and there were parts that were full of a lot of tension and that stuff was Arya going full John McClain with all of the sneaking and running around, but overall, I think there were better battles.

I should also add the caveat that running zombie hordes don't do a lot for me. In my mind, if you have that type of fighting force that can't be stopped, then you should be able to wipe out everyone very quickly. Someone somewhere mentioned the main characters or the bigger characters having "plot armor" and that's really the only explanation. Why is it that in one shot you get someone getting rushed and covered by a bunch of wights and they get ripped to shreds and then in another shot the same thing happens to Sam or Jaime and they get out of it without much of a scratch? That's the problem with having a force with this type of insane power level. You establish them as being almost unstoppable, and many times they are, but other times they're just not.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

My other complaint with the battle was their overall strategy. The sent in all of the Dothraki and Jorah and then Dany and Jon providing no air support. I couldn't understand why Dany and Jon weren't lighting up areas of the ground and trees to give forces on the ground some vision. They just sat and watched the Dothraki all die and Dany look shocked. Like, what did you think was going to happen? You have the equivalent of a fighter jet and you didn't even use it.

What was as frustrating to watch was seeing all the wights rush in to start fucking everyone up and again Dany and Jon just sit and watch it happen. Maybe fly out and start breathing fire BEFORE the wights even reach everyone else on the ground? Maybe the dragons can't endlessly breath fire, but later on Lich Viserion doesn't have any trouble constantly breathing fire.

I don't know...The humans' strategy was just fucked. They lost before the battle even started.

I thought the idea was that they didn't want to risk losing another dragon. So they sat on them at first and only brought them into play once it was clear their side was getting nuked.

• Like 1

The idea was to hold the Dragons in reserve until the Night King showed up, but Dany got emotional watching the Dothraki going squish and abandoned her post. And Jon went along with it because he's a guy who goes along with things.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

I thought the idea was that they didn't want to risk losing another dragon. So they sat on them at first and only brought them into play once it was clear their side was getting nuked.

I thought about this too, but they also have Bran who could have warged earlier to find out where the Night King was in relation to the battlefield.

Speaking of the dragons, similar to Ghost, I thought Jon's dragon also died and then there it is in the preview for next week.

Just now, AxB said:

The idea was to hold the Dragons in reserve until the Night King showed up, but Dany got emotional watching the Dothraki going squish and abandoned her post. And Jon went along with it because he's a guy who goes along with things.

The Dothraki were almost already dead and Dany didn't fly off until the remaining forces were getting mauled.

Also, talking through this, I now understand why Bran was warging for so long now.

I think Bran was either watching the battle or tracking the process of the Night King. I could be wrong, but I wasn't looking for any deeper meaning than that.

I think next week is set up, week five the battle for the Throne, week did in which the coalition of the living falls apart and the Seven Kingdoms are divided once again.

I think Sansa and Tyrion maybe do end up together, ruling the North. If Dany lives, maybe she goes back to the kingdom she built herself, possibly with Jon. 

And my really bold prediction: the last scene shows some new existential threat to all life rising, with the kingdoms of man already falling apart and we know there is a new threat to someday deal with or not. "This has all happened before..."

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That part of the plan was especially dumb. Why send the Dothraki first, who are wielding plain ol' regular steel arakhs? Sure, the fire Melissandre added gave them a damage boost, but no one knew she was coming. That wasn't part of the plan. They were essentially sacrificing all of the Dothraki by sending them first out into the darkness. It was colossally stupid, especially considering every dead man is potentially a new wight. Why not wait for the dead to come to you where you can actually fucking see them? Why not have soldiers wielding dragonglass on the front lines? Why not Unsullied first, who are better armored and have shields?

Dany's known for making rash decisions, and I think that's what her flying off to drop some dragonfire was supposed to be, but she was totally right to buck this shitty plan. Surely she knew about it beforehand, which makes her as dumb as everyone else who was in on it, but at least she tried to do something after its inevitable failure.

Some of us speculated here way back when about how the Dothraki would integrate into Westerosi society once Dany claims the throne considering they're so big on raping, murdering and pillaging. I guess this was one way to solve that problem...

It was certainly a cool visual, seeing all the arakhs light up and later be extinguished in the darkness, but they sacrificed logic to make it happen. That's happened a lot on this show the past few seasons.

Edited by Throat
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think Bran was either watching the battle or tracking the process of the Night King. I could be wrong, but I wasn't looking for any deeper meaning than that.

Oh, I had remembered that the Night King can see where he is when wargs so I just now thought he was warging so the Night King could instead track him and know where he was. I think I recall that Bran stopped warging when the Night King started making his way on the ground to where Bran was at.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh, I had remembered that the Night King can see where he is when wargs so I just now thought he was warging so the Night King could instead track him and know where he was. I think I recall that Bran stopped warging when the Night King started making his way on the ground to where Bran was at.

Right. He marked Bran and could always find him. I was surprised how many people were asking what Bran was doing because it never occurred to me that it was anything other than watching the Night King come for him.

I've been on the "Tyrion and Sansa end up running shit" train for years.  They're the shrewdest people left who are capable of making this work.  Jon is a great inspirational figurehead for wartime, but he is too naive and idealistic to lead successfully long-term.  And Dany is just too rash and emotional; she will make enemies in a hurry and the thing will fall apart all over again.

The North might have trouble accepting another Lannister in a position of power over them, but if he aces Cersei in the end, I imagine that would go a long way toward currying favor.