DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Just now, EVA said:

Oh, look at all you Theon bandwagon jumpers now.

It's funny. Although the torture that changed him was way over the top, he actually wound up with a really conventional story arc.

I was a bit taken out of it with the first minutes of the battle being so dark but the final hour was awesome!   So...   Arya is the Prince (Princess) who was promised right?!  A warrior reincarnated to defeat the darkness.  

We can't understate Jon's importance because he is the leader of men and women.  He is the only dude who could get all the houses and Essos and Dany and her dragons and everyone on board to fight the dead.  

I understand people being disappointed because we all thought it'd come down to him and Night King but I think Arya makes sense being in that Princess who was promised role. 

We should really know by now it doesn't ever come down to those epic fantasy fights. We didn't get Ned vs Jaime, we didn't get Robb vs Joffery, now we didn't get Jon vs The Night King.

• Like 1

So basically,  Bran knew how this had to play out.  He set himself up as the bait and he knew it had to be Arya.  Melisandre finally figured out it was Arya.   It appears to me that Arya took on the role as a wight or white walker because I think Melisandre said something along the lines of "you become who you kill" I'd have to replay it back,  but then Arya sneaks up going undetected because all the wights and walkers thought she was one of them and couldn't sense it.  

That's what I got from it. 

• Like 3

I thought it was pretty anticlimactic and I had been feeling that since a few days ago. We've built to this final battle or what should be the final battle for all mankind all series long and now it's over. And with the way the last two episodes played out it was pretty clear that almost all of the main players were going to make it out alive.

My other gripe was that I couldn't see a fucking thing. Shit felt like Transformers at times where it was just blobs and colors rustling around endlessly. If it wasn't that, then it was showing Jaime or Brienne or Sam or someone else and they're always just screaming and looking like they're about to die only for them to cut away and come back to them 15 minutes later where they're doing the same thing in a different location. It just eventually started to feel like there were no real stakes.

And despite all of that, I still thought it was a good episode with plenty of badass moments I could make out. I wished we could have had a longer sequence of Arya being a killing machine or I wished we could have had Jon vs the Night King, but you guys are right. This show doesn't build to those kinds of moments. I have no idea where they go from here though since the good guys are beyond fucked, they're down to one dragon, and Winterfell is a wreck.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

My other gripe was that I couldn't see a fucking thing. Shit felt like Transformers at times where it was just blobs and colors rustling around endlessly.

This was an issue.  Half the time, I thought it was friendly fire since the dead often looked like Tormund's gang.

• Like 1

“For, god, I think it’s probably three years now, we’ve known that it was going to be Arya who delivers that fatal blow,” Benioff explained. “We hoped to kind of avoid the expected. Jon Snow has always been the hero, the one who’s been the savior, but it just didn’t seem right to us, for this moment.” 

• Like 1

Just now, RolandTHTG said:

They're really setting up Samwell to do something stupid that everyone's going to hate.

Way too many shots of him stinking it up and being useless while other characters had to risk their own lives to save him.

That was frustrating me to no end. All of these other experienced fighters are getting their asses handed to them and Sam is screaming and on the verge of death every time he pops up and he lives every time. The first couple times I was like, ok, fine, but then it would happen over and over again.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

“For, god, I think it’s probably three years now, we’ve known that it was going to be Arya who delivers that fatal blow,” Benioff explained. “We hoped to kind of avoid the expected. Jon Snow has always been the hero, the one who’s been the savior, but it just didn’t seem right to us, for this moment.” 

Was it their decision or Martin's?  Martin is a huge fan of Arya I believe she is his favorite character.  I wouldn't be surprised because Martin doesn't seem like he would have done a Night King vs. Jon Snow sword battle.   

I can see how Jon's role is important. He is the rightful heir and he was the only guy that could have banded all these houses and forces together.  But,  I feel like somehow he is underachieving given how much importance has been placed on him.  It's hard to explain,  I just expect him to do more. Though he's already done a ton. 

Okay, some semi-coherent thoughts re: Arya Stark

The show spent 7 seasons turning her into someone for this moment. She spent her entire pre-adult/post childhood years training for this. It unleashed her as a badass for this moment... And then it slapped her right across the face that she was in WAY over her head, that she could've spent ten more years training and it wouldn't have mattered, that she was going to die.

Enter The Red Witch. Who told her flat out, "no, you are the one to do it. This, this right here is the God of Death, and you have something to tell him." 

In one feature length episode they showed what she had become, tore her back down lower than she had been in years, and then gave her the moment. She looked the only God in the face and go told him "not fucking today motherfucker."

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 5

I think it's one of the versions of the Prince(ss) That Was Promised/Azhor Ahai/The Last Hero myth.

(And, of course, even that is only a fan inference that those myths are all about the same person)

Considering that, in the end, it wasn't Stannis, Jon or Dany that Melissandre sent after the Night's King, after years of building up to tht idea that it was her destiny to find Azhor Ahai reborn and save the world... She sent Arya. So now maybe Arya is the Last Hero

The first twenty minutes of the episode were horrific in all the best ways. Wonderful job building suspense and tension especially as I was predicting most everybody to die. Fowler nailed why Aria was the only one that made sense to do the job. Everything she's done, the water dancing, the stealth, and the shifting all played out here and the emotional arc she went through was superb too. 

I was fine with things being obscured. Why wouldn't the Night King try to nullify the dragons with some super powered snow storm? The battles I  thought were way too clean for the masses involved, particularly near the end where it was just a series of all the main characters fighting off the multitudes like it was a naive capitalist's dream of killing all of the faceless communists in the 1980s.

I loved it, don't get me wrong. The broad strokes were pretty great. My main mang Theon redeemed himself and the scenes of dread  were incredible. But it felt like the show (continued to) betray the series' underlying theme of avoiding and subverting cliches like the above (while they did dodge the NK v Jon Snow climactic battle after teasing it). Now I wasn't expecting No Country For Old Men either but pretty much everybody in the courtyard should have died. Part of me wanted the Night King to destroy everything for what he represents or at least for his destruction to be the climax of it all. 

Dame Arya made my day too. Thanks, Raziel. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1