DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Dany: So the only people that know this secret is your brother and your best friend?

If Jon called all the North to defend against the Walkers, where in the Seven Hells is House Reed?

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Dany: So the only people that know this secret is your brother and your best friend?

If Jon called all the North to defend against the Walkers, where in the Seven Hells is House Reed?

Vacationing with the Kettleblacks.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:51 AM, Brian Fowler said:

That was great 

"I robbed you too."

*Beat* The Hound smiles.

Then we immediately move into Arya and Gendry resuming to flirt, except they aren't kids anymore and a thousand shippers probably had their heads explode while I think about King Robert telling Ned "I have a son, you have a daughter..."

The Bastard King & the Psycho Queen! What could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah it was a combination of "Aw, our little Arya is all grown up now!" and "Holy fuck, fade to black before my retinas burn, assholes!"

The knighting scene is one of my favorite moments in show history.  Maybe #1

I could do with a full season of those specific characters drinking and telling stories.  I wonder how many of them survive next week?  Tyrion needs to stay out of the fucking crypts!

I love the way they are pacing this out.

20 hours ago, J.T. said:

Dany telling short jokes about Jon was total bullshit.

On Binge Mode last week someone said it best. Kit Harrington needs to fire his agent over this nonsense.  

At some point they went from hiding how short he is to mandating 1 short joke per week.  How about some middle ground there, guys?

Edited by Jrag

19 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah. That's why I asked about the limits of the Night King resurrection power. 

Putting all the women and children in the crypts when your enemies main power is bringing back to life dead people has to be one of the all time stupidest ideas ever.  At this point, I assume everyone who they made a point to say would be in the Crypts is dying a noble death trying to defend everyone down there. 

More proof of some horrifying shit happening in the crypts was one of the trailer that showed ARYA of all people looking terrified running away from something.  If you're making stone cold killer Arya look like that, trouble is coming. 

• Like 2

And this might just be the penultimate big battle in the show. We know the final one will pit Cersei and the Golden Company against the Stark/ Targaryen fact-gime, we just don't know if both armies will be alive before it starts.

This is a book thing not a show thing, so I'm not sure how relevant it is, but the Starks are buried with swords across their laps to keep vengeful spirits in the crypts.  It sounds like something that was put in the book to stop people from asking this exact question.  You'd have to believe that the Starks would have put measures in place to stop the dead from coming back and killing them in their sleep.  Of all the houses in the entire series The Starks are the only ones who take any of this stuff seriously.  They are the only major house who sends family members to The Wall voluntarily.  They keep the Old Gods, and worship at a Weirwood Heart Tree.  They consider themselves "First Men" and not Andals as if they are a different race than the rest of Westeros.  They would take every precaution to stop the dead from rising inside of Winterfell, their entire culture is based on preparing for 'winter," there is no way they'd just forget that part.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, supremebve said:

There is a lot of terrible things that happen in real life, and plenty of terrible things that happen in this story, but them taking scenes of consensual sex and turning them to rape, or just adding random rapes is fucking weird.  Afterwards, Benioff & Weiss always act like they don't understand why people have an issue with their added rapes.  It's really like they don't understand why unnecessary sexual violence bothers people.  

Depiction of abhorrent acts is not approval or endorsement of said acts. Those scenes are just a drop in the bucket to the amount of things changed on this show that are pretty terrible and depraved.

As for the Reeds, they are probably all dead.

Edited by TheVileOne

Meera Reed has asked for her release from World Westeros Entertainment and while technically not killed off will likely not be showing up again (her goodbye speech to Bran definitely sounded like a write out).  Edmure Tully and little Robin Arryn (remember them?) are in the same boat as are all surviving Essos characters. 

16 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Meera Reed has asked for her release from World Westeros Entertainment and while technically not killed off will likely not be showing up again (her goodbye speech to Bran definitely sounded like a write out).  Edmure Tully and little Robin Arryn (remember them?) are in the same boat as are all surviving Essos characters. 

Except Dario, because we have to figure that he caught wind of the Golden Company being hired to fight Dany's Horde and is gonna throw a wrench into that.

Or not.

The Reeds and the Tullys should be alive, being south of Winterfell and far from the fighting near Kings Landing.  I don't think the Reeds will show up, but they are probably the best-equipped people in the entire story to live through all of this.  Meera Reed will end up Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, because everyone else will be dead and the Night King got lost looking for Greywater Watch.

She said " probably". Kind of implies she didn't watch it with them. And if you were trying to mess with their heads, you'd want to be in the room when they saw it, right?

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

The Reeds and the Tullys should be alive, being south of Winterfell and far from the fighting near Kings Landing.  I don't think the Reeds will show up, but they are probably the best-equipped people in the entire story to live through all of this.  Meera Reed will end up Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, because everyone else will be dead and the Night King got lost looking for Greywater Watch.

Edmure could have been sprung from the dungeon either when Arya killed everyone at the Twins (in consecutive episodes) or when Grey Worm took Casterly Rock.  Either this was done off camera and without Arya or Grey Worm telling anyone (a particularly weird oversight in Arya's case because it's her uncle and she had two cracks at it).  Or they forgot/didn't bother and left him to starve in an empty castle.

Alternately the Lannisters could have taken him with them when they abandoned Casterly Rock, and stashed him with whatever garrison they left behind at Highgarden, given him over to Tarly (unlikely, given the prestige and ransom value of highborn prisoners, not that the Lannisters planned on selling him off and who would ransom him anyway?  Their mortal enemies the Starks?  Also Dany would've likely given Tarly/Lannister prisoners a chance to bend knee to her in exchange for their liberation if there had been any) or took him all the way to King's Landing.  Or he escaped somewhere along the way and Cersei hasn't even bothered to be upset about it (unlikely given her temperment and Edmure's aptitude).

I imagine the actor, Tobias Menzes, is not under contract and the show is going by WWE rules (if you're not signed, you don't exist) and this plot thread is not deemed worth the effort of paying him to come in and tie up.  Or maybe he'll make a token cameo at the final coronation/dismantling of the Iron Throne without explanation of what he was up to all this time because it's just Edmure, or something.

They've had scheduling problems with Tobias Menzies ever since Outlander started. Even though he doesn't get that much screen time with either of his roles. The most egregiously disappeared character is the Greatjon though. The one guy who started the whole King in the North deal, and he just vanished after season one ended. And Clive Mantle isn't exactly over-busy either. Hopefully they can get Wilko Johnson back for a scene as well though. Ilyn Payne's been on Arya's list this whole time... he left the show because he had terminal cancer, just months to live, so he wanted to tour with his band one last time. Then he miraculously recovered (nb: he had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is more treatable than the lethal version most people get) and is alive and well today.

@The Natural doesn't watch GoT, so I'll say it for him: Fuck Cancer.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure, both in the books and the show, that Edmure was installed back in Riverrun after surrendering it to Jamie, with the caviat that he and whatever Tully forces were left sit the rest of the wars out and that Lordship of the Riverlands was now Walder Frey's.   Edmure was controlable because Jamie pretty much implied he'd go Castamire on the Tully's, including Edmure's wife and son, should he not play ball and serve as Walder says.  I can see it a Ayra just decided to leave him alone after knocking off the Frey's solely because Edmure wasn't worth the trip.

17 hours ago, AxB said:

She said " probably". Kind of implies she didn't watch it with them. And if you were trying to mess with their heads, you'd want to be in the room when they saw it, right?

That is the very definition of the words "awkward" and "uncomfortable."

My logical side realizes that chronologically, Arya is a grown woman and is entitled to get her freak on.

Philosophically, I've seen the character grow up from child to young adult over the course of eight seasons of the series and I still see her as a kid, more precisely Ned Stark's baby girl.  The thought of her getting laid is more than a little icky.

Funny how it doesn't bother me when she crosses names off of her Death List by murdering dudes, but God forbid she gets her jump off with the Blacksmith.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AxB said:

They've had scheduling problems with Tobias Menzies ever since Outlander started. Even though he doesn't get that much screen time with either of his roles. The most egregiously disappeared character is the Greatjon though. The one guy who started the whole King in the North deal, and he just vanished after season one ended. And Clive Mantle isn't exactly over-busy either. Hopefully they can get Wilko Johnson back for a scene as well though. Ilyn Payne's been on Arya's list this whole time... he left the show because he had terminal cancer, just months to live, so he wanted to tour with his band one last time. Then he miraculously recovered (nb: he had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is more treatable than the lethal version most people get) and is alive and well today.

@The Natural doesn't watch GoT, so I'll say it for him: Fuck Cancer.

I thought Smalljon told Ramsay that Greatjon was dead when he delivered Rickon to him?

17 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That is the very definition of the words "awkward" and "uncomfortable."

My logical side realizes that chronologically, Arya is a grown woman and is entitled to get her freak on.

My friend was telling me how attractive he found the actress who plays Sansa, but I'm sorry if I get introduced to someone when they are 12 I'll never be that attracted to them.  She's undeniably pretty, but that's about it for me.  That's kind of how I felt about the Arya scene.  Sure, you're a grown woman, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be comfortable seeing you naked or in a sexual situation.

If it had been Maisie Williams in any other show/ movie it would have been less of a problem. It's Maisie as Arya that's the issue. Plenty of child actors have grown up to be famed for their attractiveness, but no matter how good Christina Ricci looks now, you'd never fancy Wednesday Addams. For example.Although Natalie Portman in Leon and Beautiful Girls was scripted to be well dodgy. I don't think she realised at the time.