DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

16 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Oh its definitely weird, just not surprising to me.

I was expecting some kind of nudity from her at some point, since that is historically something child/teen female stars do to change their image. I wasn’t sure it would be on GOT or some kind of Indy film (a la Lindsay Lohan and Anne Hathaway). 

Edited by odessasteps

27 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was expecting some kind of nudity from her at some point, since that is historically something child/teen female stars do to change their image. I wasn’t sure it would be on GOT or some kind of Indy film (a la Lindsay Lohan and Anne Hathaway). 

People are freaking out about it, but while I wasn't expecting it, I'm also not surprised.  The really weird thing is that Dany is 14 at the beginning of the books.  Think about the things she went through during the first season happening to a 14-year-old...that will make your skin crawl.  Arya is an adult that we met as a child, so it's weird, but not nearly as weird as a 14-year-old girl having to consummate an arranged marriage with Khal Drogo.

• Like 2

At the same time, in the books Dany and Drogo is consensual (assuming a 14 year old can consent, local law may vary), whereas in the show, it's one of those scenes that Benioff and Weiss didn't realise how rapey it was.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's been quite awhile since I read the books, but I thought it was Jaime who let Tywin and his army in?

No, the old hand convince Areys to let Tywin in for defense, then Tywin let his army loose to sack everything.  That's what triggered Areys to order lighting all the Dragonfire and obliterating King's Landing, which is what caused Jamie to kill him.

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, MADCAP said:

I’m still loving Jamie’s redemption arc. I think he’ll have a noble death. 

When Jaime asked Brienne if he could serve under her command, I was like "Goddamit.  Don't cry, dude."

And then fucking Theon did the same thing in that scene with Sansa and she teared up and hugged him.

I was done.  

Fucking final season, I swear.

Even though I felt really weird watching it, the scene with Arya made a lot of sense.

Just because Arya never really wanted to be a lady didn't mean that she didn't want to get down with a dude. 

I imagine that "Get laid" was under "Become a kick ass assassin" on her bucket list in the event that the Night King tears Westeros a new one and everyone in the Northern Kingdoms joins his Southbound Zombie Army tour.

Dany telling short jokes about Jon was total bullshit.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Great episode. Davos deadpanning 'maybe I will have that drink' after Tormund's insane story was hilarious. I'm going to cry 4 billion tears when The Hound snuffs it for real this time (although I don't think it'll be next week, they have to do Hound/Mountain, right?).

I don't know why everyone's so worried though, the Night King will take one look at Lyanna motherfucking Mormont mean mugging him, shit in his ice pants and get the fuck out of there.

I'd rather face an army of 100,000 Hounds than face one Lady Mormont glare.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop

1 hour ago, AxB said:

At the same time, in the books Dany and Drogo is consensual (assuming a 14 year old can consent, local law may vary), whereas in the show, it's one of those scenes that Benioff and Weiss didn't realise how rapey it was.

The scene is "consensual" in the books but she didn't have the agency to say no.  Drogo was a decent enough guy, he may have waited until she was ready, but Viserys wouldn't have.  At the very least he would have had her beaten half to death.  She was a 14-year-old who had just been married off for the goodness of her house.  She knew exactly what that meant, and couldn't have possibly said no given the circumstances.  

The girl I'm dating tried to watch Game of Thrones, got as far as the Dany/Drogo sex scene and decided the show is not for her.  She won't even consider watching it because of that scene.  I honestly don't understand how Benioff and Weiss didn't understand how that scene, and a few others, weren't extremely sexually violent. 

• Like 2

On one hand it's terrible and unnecessary,  on the other hand these awful things really do happen to people and there are situations in entertainment where I don't have a problem with it being shown or alluded to.  The issue with Sansa's rape scene is that I felt like the showrunners were trying to put more heat on Ramsay and he didn't need it..  he was already the most hated man on the show. 

• Like 1

As far asd next week goes... I think Davos is making it ot the end so he can be Masterr of Ships to whoever ends up o nthe throne. Pretty sure The Hound is safe so we get the match-up with the Mountain that's be teased since like... episode 1?

Jaime is safe since he's going to be the one to kill Cersei. Pretty sure Dondarion is toast along what is left of the Night's Watch. My money is on Brienne dying because irony dictates that after her greatest personal moment something horrible happen to her

James

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

On one hand it's terrible and unnecessary,  on the other hand these awful things really do happen to people and there are situations in entertainment where I don't have a problem with it being shown or alluded to.  The issue with Sansa's rape scene is that I felt like the showrunners were trying to put more heat on Ramsay and he didn't need it..  he was already the most hated man on the show. 

There is a lot of terrible things that happen in real life, and plenty of terrible things that happen in this story, but them taking scenes of consensual sex and turning them to rape, or just adding random rapes is fucking weird.  Afterwards, Benioff & Weiss always act like they don't understand why people have an issue with their added rapes.  It's really like they don't understand why unnecessary sexual violence bothers people.  

5 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Some bad shit is definitely going down in the crypts in the next episode - they couldn't have telegraphed it any more. 

Yeah. That's why I asked about the limits of the Night King resurrection power. 

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

There is a lot of terrible things that happen in real life, and plenty of terrible things that happen in this story, but them taking scenes of consensual sex and turning them to rape, or just adding random rapes is fucking weird.  Afterwards, Benioff & Weiss always act like they don't understand why people have an issue with their added rapes.  It's really like they don't understand why unnecessary sexual violence bothers people.  

I think they're doing it for heat but I agree that in those cases it certainly wasn't needed.  

The biggest thing about the show is that there are people that are fucking horrible just for the sake of being horrible and seem to get off on it.  They try to remind us how bad these people are by going over the top in some cases.  I know I nearly checked out of the show after the Sansa rape scene, because that might've been the show's nihilist high water mark (if they went *THAT* far, then they're probably just going to have the Night King win is what I thought), but then again, there are times I think the Night King should win.  They always try ti hit those hope spots not long after though.  

I dunno, there are plenty of times I think this show goes TOO far in showing just how utterly fucked up the world in this story is.  Oddly, there are plenty of times in other works that I don't think they go far enough, so what's the ultimate balance.

I think one thing that this episode showed and did well on is that there are still a lot of great people in this world..  humanity deserves a second chance because of people like Davos and Jon Snow and Arya Stark and Grey Worm and Lady Mormont and redemption stories like The Hound and Jamie Lannister.  I'd like to see them get a chance to get it RIGHT..   but I don't know,  it might be too late.. 

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Let's not forget the Sansa rape that they decided to put in the show despite nothing like that happening to her in the books.  I think that is the low point of the entire show.  

I'm not sure what was worse, the fact that they had him rape her, or that they shot it to be all about Theon.

Dany: So the only people that know this secret is your brother and your best friend?

If Jon called all the North to defend against the Walkers, where in the Seven Hells is House Reed?