DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Apparently they left it up to Massie Williams how much flesh she would show (given that her contract was signed when she was eleven, it didn't contain any nudity clauses)

Joe Dempsie said it was really weird given he's almost a decade older and has known her since she was 11 or 12. Which, yeah.

And I don't think we have any idea how long someone can still be revived.

I loved tonight's episode. So many little payoffs before the people we've grown to love go off to die. Jon being stupid and revealing what he did to Dany when he did was so not surprising and was so damn stupid. He is definitely the son of Ned Stark, blood or not.

I'm thinking we get at least a good 3-4 big deaths by the end of the next episode. Grey Worm is definitely not making it. He seems to be on the front lines, is Black, and made the sensible speech about getting away from this bullshit when its all said and done. Feels like Jorah could go either way. I don't think he makes it in the end, but he doesn't have to bite it in this particular battle. Either Brienne or Jamie gets taken out next episode. Won't be both, but one of them ain't making it after that lovely knighting scene. Gendry ain't making it since he and Arya finally got together.  

Edited by Eivion

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Apparently they left it up to Massie Williams how much flesh she would show (given that her contract was signed when she was eleven, it didn't contain any nudity clauses)

Joe Dempsie said it was really weird given he's almost a decade older and has known her since she was 11 or 12. Which, yeah.

It was odd..  I assumed they used a body double though.  Tormund had me rolling this entire episode.  I enjoyed the bits with The Hound and Beric too.  So many awesome little character moments.  I mentioned Grey Worm and Missandei.  Snow's speech about his true self to Dany was good. I laughed at Beric about the Umbers going "they fight for the Night King now" all nonchalant lol

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Apparently no on the body double, according to the interview with EW they published a few minutes after the episode aired.

This actually doesn't surprise me. She is at an age now where she would probably rather not be looked at like she is still a child despite her appearance so she probably saw this as a chance to make people realize that.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah she showed none. That article just words it in a very vague and unclear way

I think this was maybe my favorite episode in the whole run. I loved all of the characters just hanging out and getting to actually be human, shooting the shit, etc.

It also gave us a chance to say goodbye to many of these characters who have been our favorites for one reason or another. Better to do that now than when we get to the hell of next week's episode.

• Like 2

Ghost showing up means he is absolutely biting it next week.  D&D hate the direwolves like Vince hates cruiserweights and this will eliminate the wolf CGI budget once and for all.  Also thematically appropriate now that Jon has a dwaggin and is telling folks his cool story about his real mom and dad.

Edd, Beric, Jorah Fedorah, Royce, Grey Worm, Pod The Bod, Brie-Brie, Davos, Varys, Gendry, you're all Two Days Away From Retirement.  [Theon will shake up the world by living]

There was no sign of The Night's King or the Heel Dragon.  I have a feeling he's taken a smaller group on an end around to fuck with Cersei's shit [hence the shout out to Whispering Wood, where Robb first used this tactic in the series] while everyone else is distracted with the larger force up north.  They're so focused on the "unthinking unfeeling army of the dead" they're not open to the idea of the Night's King outsmarting them.

Viable battle strategies for the Battle of Winterfell:

1) Molotov cocktails.

2) using trebuchets to launch Molotov cocktails.

3) self immolation. Light self on fire, run into waves of wights. Light as many on fire as you can, and when you die they can’t revive you.

4) using trebuchets to launch dudes who are self immolating. 

5) presoaking the ground with oil, lighting it with dragon fire. 

6) wildfire? Or is that only in King’s Landing?

Also, rules check: 

1) wights can be killed by a) fire or b) Valyrian steel or c) being hacked to pieces. Dragonglass is not necessary or even helpful versus wights, right?

2) White Walkers can only be killed by a) Valyrian steel or b) dragonglass. Maybe dragonfire. 

Valyrian steel head count:

1. Jon Snow (Longclaw)

2. Arya Stark (Littlefinger’s dagger)

3. Ser Brienne (Oathkeeper)

4. Jorah Mormont (Heartsbane, from Samwell Tarly)

5. Jaime Lannister (Widows Wail, from Joffrey, assumed)

anymore I’m missing?

Wildfire is only in King's Landing, and even then, it's possible between the Battle of the Blackwater and then Cercei's Seperation of Church and State that there isn't any left.  

I never thought about the Night King taking Lich Viscreon in an end around (tactic was also used during Robert's Rebellion as Robert drew Rhaegar to the Trident as Ned did an end around to Kings Landing)  But I'm not 100% if the Walkers NEED the snow.

Also:

Jon: Before we die and all, you're not the last Targaryen and Rhaegar was a decent fellow apparently.

Dany: Wait, YOU HAVE A CLAIM ON MY THRONE!

Jon's got to be really tired of everyone being more concerned about who's sitting on a metal chair *if* they all live through everything than the ACTUAL UNDEAD HORDE AT THE GATES!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Also, rules check: 

1) wights can be killed by a) fire or b) Valyrian steel or c) being hacked to pieces. Dragonglass is not necessary or even helpful versus wights, right?

2) White Walkers can only be killed by a) Valyrian steel or b) dragonglass. Maybe dragonfire. 

Valyrian steel head count:

1. Jon Snow (Longclaw)

2. Arya Stark (Littlefinger’s dagger)

3. Ser Brienne (Oathkeeper)

4. Jorah Mormont (Heartsbane, from Samwell Tarly)

5. Jaime Lannister (Widows Wail, from Joffrey, assumed)

anymore I’m missing?

Wights are strictly fire.  Valyrian steel isn't confirmed but the show has Dragonglass as working against them.  It's the books that Dragonglass doesn't work on Wights.

Walkers are Valyrian Steel or Dragonglass.  

That's all the accounted for weapons in the show.  The books had more swords floating in the wild, but they were never established and probably won't be a thing as most of the families listed are "southern" and aren't in Winterfell.

Next week is going to be rough as fuck.   

And Dany's so fucking turning heel next week or the one after. I'm guessing at least 2 of the Starks are toast. Ser Brienne is Ser Goner.  Theon... oof, he'll act heroically, but die horrifically.  

So many deaths incoming...  

Jon, Arya, Jorah, Brienne, and Jaime have Valyrian Steel

Dragonglass/Obsidian will destroy a White Walker and de-animate his horde with him (WW kill count:  Jon 2, Sam 1, Meera Reed [alive but written out] 1)

Dragonglass will also destroy the Wights directly [and thus we'll probably get a bunch of inefficient shooting of obsidian arrowheads at the wights for EPIC BATTLE CINEMATICS instead of concentrated fire at the WW captains]

I'm mostly calling the Night's King end-around because Cersei's tactical approach is good for the old ways of feudalism but ill-suited for the new reality.  Ned died because he tried to play the southern game by northern rules.  Littlefinger died because he tried to play the northern game by southern rules.  Cersei should die for trying to play the survival game by feudal politics rules.  Survival is a team sport and she wants to play ISO ball.  Relying on Dany & Jon to beat back the horde and being easy pickings later is, metaphorically, Cersei's denial about the inevitability of death for all of us, her included.  So, she needs to face death (personified by the Night's King and his horde) directly.

Plus itd be a great stakes-raiser if NK brings the undead Lannister army up from the south and pincers Winterfell (Deaddy Long says you're in a handicap match now, playa!) ?

38 minutes ago, Raziel said:

(tactic was also used during Robert's Rebellion as Robert drew Rhaegar to the Trident as Ned did an end around to Kings Landing)

No, Ned was at the Trident with Robert. Whe Ser Barristan the Bold went down, Roose Bolton urged Ned to kill him, but Robert said no and sent his Maester to heal Barristan instead. It was Tywin Lannister who showed up at King's Landing after the Trident (and they'd been neutral throughout, so Aerys let them in, the Lannister army sacked the city, and the Mountain visited Elia Martell). Ned arrived in the aftermath of that.